1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD FX-8150 Retail (Bulldozer) Review by lab501

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Oct 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rekit

rekit Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465
    ordered my 2600k & Sabertooth P67 today. :)

2. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I think more 2500Ks & 2600Ks will sell more than the FX-8150 after today's launch.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    same here. price is currently too high and i have an am3+ mobo i just bought for cheap. i also dont really OC anymore and i mostly just play games but i do lots of encoding. performance wise it should still be better than my 710 i cant oc. and i dont wanna mess around swapping motherboards and all that **** and reinstalling windows and everything. ill most likely buy a 8150 when prices level out. i actually almost just bought a pII 980 a few minutes ago but i can handle using my 710 for a little while longer to see if something pans out like an update or something till prices drop.

4. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Come on sandy E. I'm waiting. Bring on the x79.

5. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I have been looking at more reviews, and now I don't know what I'm going to do. The 1100T is much much cheaper and performs just as well, on average. I suppose I could sell this AM3+ motherboard for maybe $100 and put it towards an Intel motherboard. I'm extremely tempted to buy that 2600K right now and say hell with it. It is amazing for the price, really. Used to say that about AMD 1-2 years ago, but not with Bulldozer in it's current state. It just doesn't beat the 1100T, and I don't feel that's enough of an upgrade per core. It's just too old at this point to upgrade to, and the FX-8150 isn't better than it. The FX-8120 is much cheaper right now and is available, but it's performance is even lower. It would need even more power to get a decent overclock.

I have the 2600k and the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P in the cart and ready to go. The price is a little painful, though. Selling this motherboard would get some of that back. What's also nice is that I wouldn't have to get any new hardware at all. I'd be set for 2-3 years until the next significant upgrade for the cost. If I get the 1100T I'd have to upgrade for Ivy Bridge or Piledriver anyway. It would be pointless right now to get the FX processor. My best option is the 2600k, I guess. My Noctua NH-D14 is compatible with it as well. If I get Sandy Bridge now I won't have to get Ivy Bridge during it's initial release. I can't keep waiting forever to upgrade.

6. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    I will post this a second time as the first time was ignored;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    What exactly is your point? It's pushing almost twice the wattage to get there, not to mention that when you upgrade your GPU, the i7 is going to pull ahead again, because all three of those are being impeded by the GPU.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  9. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    honestly farcry 2 is not the best benchmark as it always was optimized toward intel/nividia.The reason i chose to show BF3 benchmark because it is currently the most multithreaded game with quite heavy requirements. As for drawing alot more power, yes its not great but i personally don't count every watt my system is using so its no biggie for me anyhow. Same with F1 2011, it is on par with the 2500k, 2600k...so its not all doom and gloom.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    they did something wrong there oc SB, if you look fps were higher stock in BF3 than oc to 4.8:3eyes:

11. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    After watching poor performance on Civilization 5, I don't think bulldozer got anything left to show off in games. Afaik, civ5 was supporting multi core processors, so it should've support all 8cores of bulldozer.

12. Pinhead

Pinhead Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Classified GTX 780Ti
    What a huge disappointment. I love AMD and always have. However, it looks like I'm holding on to my current chip until Ivy Bridge hits. Absolutely no reason to upgrade now. Darnit, and I love to blow money too....... :nerd:

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I feel just fine to be honest. If there's a product around the corner, I always tell people to hold on to it even if it turns out to be a flop. Usually, they also take this time to re-evaluate if they actually need the upgrade or not and not just an impulse buy.

Sure, I'm disappointed with the FX series, but if FX turned out to be amazing, then what? I'm good with computers, but I can't predict the future.

deltatux

14. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I knew that BD was on its way, even with all the delays, i waited before my upgrade, but now i know, which brand to choose.

I just see no reasons to blame anyone, if they say wait, because there is something new on its way. In the end, its merely a suggestion, not a command.

But now the data is on the paper, the choice is yours. Unless you want to wait for Ivy. Yeah, perhaps we should wait for Ivy until upgrading. :grin:

Well, i´m not going to wait, i simply want new tech, cant wait any longer, SB, here i come.

15. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Anyone think the i5-2500k will see a price increase?

16. aayman_farzand

aayman_farzand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I don't think you guys should be looking at the BF3 bench so closely, not because its Beta, but because its MP. SO by definition, you cannot fo the same 'test' every time. The SP should be a good benchmark though.

17. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    most single player benches are done as repeated+averaged dynamic runthroughs, not timedemos.

18. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    it's possible because demand will sky rocket for 2500k now everyone knows BD didn't beat it

19. Pinhead

Pinhead Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Classified GTX 780Ti
    I just don't understand how AMD can't put forth a chip that could beat my Nehalem, much less a SB, given the time it's had to examine the architecture. My aged 930 is a better CPU than what AMD is putting forth. And taking into account my PC is primarily for gaming, what motivation do I have to upgrade? None.

Wow, the money I spent on this rig, outside of an additional 6970(which is coming soon), will last me when it's all said and done at least 4 years. Of course, 99% of that is due to the ancient obsolescence of the consoles and the scarcity of PC-only titles.

20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    Well AMD has been long out of the gaming market as far as consumer CPU's are concerned since c2d came out. So I really didn't expect this chip to be much different. Also i don't believe they intend to compete with the gamer market yet until the APU hits mainstream. Seeing as the APU only supports crossfire with AMD graphics cards we aren't going to see AMD entering the gaming market (far as CPU's are concerned) until then. The APU is likely to power the next-gen consoles as-well. So its not really as if AMD has failed or anything. They created 2 new instruction sets and the framework for the trinity APU with these.

You also may want to really think of an APU setup rather than anything else from intel because of your crossfired 6970.