1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD FX-8150 Retail (Bulldozer) Review by lab501

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Oct 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Suggest you forget about CPU's for this generation and get a good drill press instead.

2. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    This is very likely. The future consoles will be even more multi-threaded than today's consoles. With win8 being able to support xbox360 games any current BD framework is going to shine on down the line. These chips seem to be the logical upgrade path for anyone who went with the cheaper x6 chips as changing platform for me and anyone else who has one would be mighty expensive especially if i went with the i7 2600k which shows the highest numbers over the FX.
    But again the power consumption alone would shy away anyone who was paying attention like we are. Hopefully piledriver will fix this and it should if AMD hopes to stay competitive in the enthusiast market.

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I think regardless of what may happen in the future far as software and OS improvement, BD is largely a failure for most everyone that comes to this board. I don't see any server benchmarks yet, but I think overall we can agree this chip sucks compared to Intel's offering with exception to like Winrar.

When you produce a new flagship that is basically slower than your previous old design WHILE on a new process, you know there is an issue.

It was a design mistake to go for clock speed, rather than IPC, and this is compounded by the failure of GF to produce a quality chips/yields. They missed the MINIMUM clock speed desires by 30% and I think that could easily be doubled for what they wanted. The power is worse than the previous Thurban as well, not to mention Deneb.

I really have liked AMD over the years, been a real good chip for me from various times. But let's be honest here, the 2500k and 2600k are better performances, OC the same or better, while using less power. Even AMD's X6 is better in 75% of the benchmarks.

Personally I have no money, so I'm not waiting around for any chip, but I wouldn't buy BD and I was planning on making a BD system for the past 4 or 5 years.

4. Pilgrim1942

Pilgrim1942 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    So the lab501 preview is correct after all, in its assessment of the FX-8150. ;)
    But I'll still buy one in a few months' time, once the dust has settled.
    After all, I've recently bought a couple of pairs of matched 4Gb sticks of DDR3 RAM, and will have to get some use out of it, :)

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, AMD definitely failed on the general consumer market. I'm not going to lie to myself, as I already repeated, I'm going Sandy/Ivy Bridge.

deltatux

6. Zix

Zix New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4770 512MB
    I think something is fishy here!
    all 8150 reviews CPU-Z shots i've seen so fare show B2 as revision while Wikipedia shows C0 ?
    is AMD trying to sell us their failed stock of July (don't remember) when they delayed the release for September!
    Moreover i have seen some bench where 8120 outperforms 8150 WTH ?

i was really hopping AMD could grab more cake share out of BD, but it seems it won't. AMD is relaying on software optimization to proof BD is better, this is weak imo.

God i still can't believe they released such a fail after many delays, don't they have bench softwares to test it before releasing it!?

Basically i don't want to give my money to an antitrust-fined-company like Intel! but AMD is forcing me here...

well it seems no upgrade for me until a decent 8c CPU is out

7. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/amd/Bulldozer/Review/win8.jpg

8. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    i don't think AMD is stupid enough to send out a fail batch, and especially not to early reviewers. I assume it is at least the cherry-picked ones that gets sent out first to reviewers.

but w/e's the case, it would be hard for AMD to convince the consumers to get BD over Intel's offerring. Unless you'll be doing mostly zipping and archiving of large batches of files. lol

or maybe, they should offer a CPU only option without the LCS and bring down the price by about $50-$75 or even $100? that would be interesting, and will be about the price of a 2500k. :)

9. Zix

Zix New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4770 512MB
    am i blind or what look at the benchmark at anandtech and hardwarecanucks CPU-Z says 8130p !?

Edit: doesn't (ES) mean Engineering Sample look at CPU-Z shots in link above please.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  10. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    Im little disapointed but thats life.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    jajaja ... Lab-501 was 100% correct all along huh ... BD=FAILED

12. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Selling my mobo and CPU... going Intel... Sorry AMD...

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Delta, how do you feel by telling everyone to wait for BD instead of SB for these past months? Just curious

14. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    i would have said the same thing since it was up in the air until now.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i did the same. i didnt loose any sleep over it. but tbh, no one knew it was going to tank like this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I think most people would have said the same. New cpus with new arches are supposed to be better. BD simply went against the grain and AMD did a masterful job of concealing that till the last minute.

17. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    They had a GPU bottleneck on that slide, that's why.

18. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    me too i7 here i go :/ though a bit ashamed as I was hoping for a whoopass product from AMD until I saw the first benches

19. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Although I was a little disappointed by the results, I think I may still buy it. I already own an AM3+ motherboard, so there's no reason to buy another motherboard and a 2600K. I could try to sell this motherboard, but I won't get much for it since it's used and many people are disappointed with Zambezi. The FX-8150 is still a large upgrade from this old tri-core Phenom II, anyway. I'll get Windows 8 once it comes out and should boost performance a little.

Newer games like several threads these days, which the FX-8150 is OK at. The CPU is powerful enough to handle older games and virtual machines that use only a couple threads since I'll leave turbo mode on for them. I don't plan to do any serious benchmarking, although I run them once in a while to compare. The processor is better at utilizing many threads, which is what I'd be doing with folding or BOINC when I choose to. When I upgrade again in the future I'll probably keep this board and processor for dedicated processing for folding or BOINC projects.

Newegg.com already sold out of the FX-8150, but the price is high at $280 anyway.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  20. aayman_farzand

aayman_farzand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    If anyone can pay 280$ for 8150, they can just bump it up and pay 320$ for the 2600k, and live in peace that apps will run flawlessly without being heavily multithreaded.

I'm so glad I gave in to my impatience and bought the 2500k 2 weeks ago. And now that I think about it, AMD released the 990fx so that people will buy the 8150 now! Conspiracies :mad: