AMD FX 8150 processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Until the price drops considerably I'm going to have to stick with the Phenom II platform for the budget gamers that come my way. I can't really recommend Bulldozer to them when it's priced higher than an i52500k and performs worse (in games). For workstation purposes it would be a different story, but those type of people don't generally come my way either.

2. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Yeah its too bad, I was looking forward to the Bulldozer as nice alternative to my Phenom II setup:(

I am annoyed, as many have said, that it was marketed with all this enthusiast propaganda. For example, the ridiculous world record overclock video full of intense strobe lighting, insane cooling, huge tanks, absurd amounts of smoke, and action music.

and then.....

we get a great server processor? Big disappointment:( Time to sell this 990 board lol, unless of course some mega patch comes out that rules the world and AMD takes over.........but lets face it.....taht never happens.

Essentially they created a way overpriced Phenom II x8.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Hmm, don't you think when AMD fails it's good opportunity to raise the price for Intel?

4. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti 2063/6180
    Hmm... I wonder how much better this would do with faster memory.. I thought it called for at least 1866mhz memory??

5. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
  6. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    I could see Intel bumping the i5 up in price a bit, i'm sure they can get away with it. But intel has a great hold on the market with thier pricing. They prob wont risk losing that. Plus an increase on nearly year old architecture might not be wise considering the ivy bridge is coming around corner.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't see why Hilbert would care, I link to Guru3D on their forums. Their testing methodologies are different too. Hilbert generally shows how the system will perform in common scenarios, While Anandtech reduces the resolution/graphics in order to expand on the otherwise minute differences between the two processors.

8. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    Oh god that was funny, my daughter was looking at my little pony... I think she's getting something else now or my wife will wonder why I'm having a laughing fit in a toy store.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I would say no, but what we will see happen is no price change at all for a lot longer now.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I love those Hitler vids :D

11. actionjksn

actionjksn Member

GPU:
    EVGA & BFG GTX 275 SLI
    Most of us fan boys wanted AMD to do well with this processor. People are criticizing Bulldozer because it's a disappointment. We needed this CPU to be fast and efficient, so that it would force Intel to lower their prices. After seeing these benchmarks Intel will not be lowering prices. Anybody who wants a powerful Processor, is settling for lower performance to save money by buying Bulldozer over Sandy Bridge. I just don't think AMD has the money to compete with Intel on performance. You can hate Intel all you want but what they are able to to really is amazing. This review demonstrates it. AMD did their best. Hopefully they can fix it.

12. Hopelessness

Hopelessness Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD4890
    So I have an old Athlon X3 and was planning on upgrading to Bulldozer when it came out, so when my old motherboard died I naturally bought a 990FX board.

If you were in my position, would you buy a 1090T or a FX-8150?

13. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I meant for upcoming products, let's hope you're right =]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Save your money and go Thuban, and use the extra money to buy a new video card too. :D

15. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    from the reviews etc not worth me upgrading from my 1090t then ?

16. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX580 8GB
    I see no reason until the price drops and that windows 8 can really give this CPU a boost like places say.

17. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    1090T at $170 or whatever it is.

18. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    no way or at least not now or not an FX 8150:wanker:

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Newegg rumor alert. All 1366 1156 1155 chips will increase in price by 30%. And I would gladly pay it

20. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I bought one, **** it. I already got the board a few months ago and presold my CPU to my bro, so had no choice really.