AMD FX 8150 processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    What have they done? This is awful! I am so disappointed words simply can't describe how I feel.

When the time comes I'm buying a hexacore Thuban unless AMD somehow fix this but I don't see it happening.

2. *Bio*

*Bio* Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 6620G
    uhhh no

the power consumption would be crazy

that was never the plan

its just a big heap of fail

unless they drop the price on all models 15% or bring out some super patch

intels getting my money.

3. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    At 150 euros it is a nice very competative product, at 244 euros it is a joke.

A 2500k competes with it at 160 euros.

A 2600k beats it at same clocks in 90% of the applications at 260 euros ( would loose in an application using all 8 cores though )

Their pricing is wrong, and the benches show the cpu to be competing with the i5 not the i7.

Bit dissapointed really. AMD is going the wrong route with more cores instead of higher in core performance.

However for servers this cpu will be very good, and performing at 990x levels in applications where the program code is there to support 8 threads for 244 euros is not bad.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    ah man, it's great cpu for working machine, why push it so hard for gamers? "Scorpion" looks great and might be good to attract PC noobs. But people who built pc, not gonna fall in this trap.

I still gonna not buy 2500k right away. If there some patch to be released to improve bulldozer performance, I'll wait till Christmas.

Right now there is no way gamer would prefer this machine. Games not making use of all cores and there no way developers gonna rewrite their engines to apply it. I'd pick it for server and editing software without a second though though.

By the time Bulldozer successor gets its 10% boost, Intel will probably get much more, unless they just start hardcore milking.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The processor design of Ivybridge is already completed. Not to mention that they've already been dominating the market since 2006 and clearly show no sign of slowing down.

The performance of bulldozer doesn't surprise me. AMD is usually one to boast in slides about performance prior to release and yet I've seen nor heard anything from them really, besides a couple claims on random non-important things. AMD needs to get it's act together, the 10-15% performance increase they are planning for steamroller or piledriver or whatever construction based naming scheme they are using seems underwhelming given the performance of this.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    AMDs prices usually drop after release. The 1090t was $299 at release, it fell below 200 a few months later (now its 170). Same will happen with BD, probably at a more accelerated pace.

7. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Anyway there's almost zero availability. It was a paper launch. I can't really think who will buy the 8150 since the price is totally out of line. I'd say the same goes for the 8120. What a mess.

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
  9. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    LOL all the videos that I saw where the amd supposed to beat the intel and what you know Intel wins. Intel will always win and here is proof. Same with the first and second phenom CPUs. Intel will always be the leading brand in CPUs no matter what. All the fanboys that's saying AMD is the best so be it can't argue with morons. I own with my i5-2500k. lol

10. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Looked at anands benchmarks now and god it is not performing at all in games, worse then the Phenom IIs in many cases, seems to have an even weaker core / per performance then the soon 4 year old Phenom II's.

Well the price better plummet or some patch that magically brings out 30% more performance in gaming enviroments or nobody will pick this cpu above a 2500k at 160 euros wich is a great price for such a highend product.

/edit

Someone should test this cpu with starcraft II for the lulz.

/edit2

They actually did test SC2 in anands review, 47 fps @ 3.6 ghz vs 64 fps of an i5 2500k @ 3.4 ghz..this says it all really. This bulldozer is so much weaker core to core then intels.

Server cpu nothing else.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

11. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Lol, yah a picture says more then a thousand words.

12. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    The 8120 is the exact same thing as the 8150 right? Multiplier open, Then its not more reasonable to buy a 8120 and clock it to 8150 levels?

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol so much for that, it sucks in gaming.. Nice job AMD, not :bonk:

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I mean, its a valid point. If you're going to be overclocking there really is no difference between the lesser 8 core model and the upper one. It makes the price point more attractive, no doubt. And if the 4 core bulldozer is unlockable by some chance, even more valid, but either way, it doesn't look so good. It just makes a pretty bad situation look a little better.

15. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    What a piece of crap...f*ck you AMD, you suck. Intel here i come.

16. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Next rig will be Intel for certain. I can't even recommend these chips over the 2500k. Still a phenom x4 965 at $130 doesn't look bad for budget builds.

One thing I'd like to see is some Sli / X-fire with those extra pipes cooking. However, I don't even think that will save the chip for gamers. It might be worthwhile for somebody who does some "lets play" but meh, there's just no compelling reason to chose it over the 2600k even there.

RiP AMD :(

17. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Here is a nice statement honest from MaximumPC:

"To be fair, we don’t think the FX-8150 should be compared to the 990X as that chip costs four times as much. But what about the 2600K? Even there, the FX-8150 has a difficult time and gets beaten up pretty badly by Intel’s top clocked Sandy Bridge. Nope, to be competitive, AMD actually thinks the 8-core FX-8150 is a better match Intel’s Core i5-2500K parts.

How good that is really depends on how you look at it the glass though. In some ways, it’s great that AMD has a part that is at least competitive with some of Intel’s higher tier Sandy Bridge CPUs. Looked at in differently though, How good is it that after all this time and a major redesign that the best AMD can do with an octo-core CPU is compete with a cheaper Intel quad-core chip? But that’s really how some will see it. We know that for people who only pay attention to core counts (like they did to megahertz) the sound of eight cores is really good. But perhaps that’s how we should start looking at it. With GPU and CPU cores starting to blur, does it really matter how many “cores” you have? Just as we once had to keep in mind that a 2.13GHz Athlon XP could kick the crap out of a Pentium 4 clocked up 1GHz faster, perhaps we have to stop looking at CPUs in pure core counts but instead look at, well, the model number.

It’s not all downer news for AMD though, we saw several signs of great performance with the new chip. Up against the Phenom II X6, the FX-8150 offers serious boost in performance in several encoding tests. In fact, in many encoding tests where the Phenom II X6 is road kill against Intel parts, the FX-8150 offers, umm, Sandy Bridge-like performance. In fact, in our MainConcept light test where we only do one pass rendering, the FX-8150 mangles the vaunted 2600K. In other tests, such as POV Ray, Bibble and HandBrake, the FX-8150 pulls pretty damn close too.

As sad as some AMD fans will be that Bulldozer doesn’t run over Sandy Bridge, it’s probably as close as AMD has been in some years"

Well said!

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's just too bad because GPU wise AMD is going pretty strong.

19. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    No point in me buying this CPU which is really sad to me, but I just cant justify buying right now when my 1090T@ 4.2 is doing just fine. I supose I'll just buy a 2nd GTX 570 instead and wait for the price to go way down.

20. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    nice review boss!

not getting one now, well and truly dissapointed.