AMD FX 8150 processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    This.

Cracking review as always Hilbert, cheers.

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I dunno, maybe it isn't maybe it is we dunno, but from what I've read with how the core of the architecture works I could see where windows and other applications may be having issues with these chips, but at the same time these numbers we see could be correct, and Bulldozer really is just one big fail.
    I think that I'll wait awhile and see what happens, as my 1100T still does what I need it to, and see what AMD can do to fix what seems to be one big fail.

3. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    They'll simply just add more cores to it :)

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    lol, I hope not as that won't fix anything.

5. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Turns out the Quad FX chip is 20 quid cheaper than the PII 975be. Clock for clock.

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well now that AMD has experiences with 8 core they should focus on improving that rather than adding more cores.. with the results such as performance/power usage its not very efficient. Even if they have lower performance, they should at least work on the power efficiency part :p

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Bulldozer...

[​IMG]

After the reviews...

[​IMG]

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Im so disappointed. I purchased a new board a few months ago for bulldozer, now I cant bring myself to buy it. Looks like I may have to go intel.

9. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Except that anyone of us would love to get their hands on one of these lol.

10. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel laid off half their Ivy Bridge engineers this morning and told the rest to look for budget savings.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    TBH I see this more as a media CPU rather than a gaming CPU. Hell it's damn close to the i7-965 in most of the tests, and my OCed 950 is on par with those. I don't think the massively parralleled architecture has done AMD any good here, whereas most stuff is better with fewer, faster cores. I'll be sticking with X58 for now, upgrade GFX (probably to Radeon 7k) in the near future and see what IB brings.

12. Dingmatt

Dingmatt Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 GV-N470OC-13
    I wouldn't call myself an AMD fanboy but ever since I've been building my own rigs I've used there parts due to price / performance.

Now its time for another upgrade but this time I'm going Intel (2600k FTW), I want AMD to succeed but I can't in my right mind build a high end gaming machine using a FX 8150.

Good luck AMD but for this round I'm out.

13. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Anyone want some pi? ~15-20% less performance per clock than AMD's own, let alone Intel. Reversed, Intel is over 100% faster, which is nuts. Even if it's not completely realistic it's putting a finger on a sore spot.

[​IMG]

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    In more news... intels sb-e delayed, ivy bridge rumored price $2567.43

15. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Total dissapointment, as a gamer this CPU is totaly useless for a long time to come.

AMD have chosen a bad design by increasing cores instead of per core performance. Software will always be lagging too far behind to make the extra cores useful.

I can definitely see these shine in the server environment and for encoders/compilers. But as a high end gaming system? No.

I hope the next revisions with improved per core performance will make it a viable option, as it stands it is too slow and too expensive.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Shame, AMD have been out of it since Intel brought the Core2Duo's out, were ruling the roost before that, Athlons were great :(

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AnandTech CPU benchmark graphs for added pain, I compared an i5-2500k to the FX-8150:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=434

The bottom line is that this architecture was meant to start scaling from 4.2GHz, but the manufacturing process at Global Foundries failed them and the best they got was 3.6Ghz, which makes it even slower than the old Phenom II's.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  18. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I was reading on AMD zone that if you disable the second core on each module the results are meant to be far better. I wonder if Hilbert could do this today before I pull the trigger on a 2500k

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Weak game performence at lowres, uses way too much power overclocked.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Gaming performance is real, real weak. Been looking at Anand and it's crazy how low it is, I know I won't be buying one. I wanted to, but with those numbers I just can't.

It feels more like a server processor.