AMD FX-8150 hands on

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by QuinEtiam, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol at the above, should be in the fail section. :)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wow, this thread has really taken off. I didn't expect that...:3eyes:

3. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    Wasn't the first revisions of the i series chips a lot more power hungry then the current versions?

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Yes, it even ate more power than an FX-8150.
    But at that point in time, nothing could rival its processing power.
    Move to this year, SB parts with lower power consumption are already around for a year and an FX-8150 doesn't really trump an i7-2600K with its power consumption.
    That's why most people consider it as quite bad.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Lol, 5 posts and bam! Banned... Silly boy. saying people are lying about BD performance... Yawn!

6. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    Well i like my new toy regardless of power.
    Intel has what? 1000 times more money and resources. For AMD to still be in existence today is pretty dam good. Considering all the underhanded crap Intel did to try and put them out of business.

7. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    I have a question, have anyone with a BD tried to undervolt them? maybe that would lower the TDP and make them less power hungry, How much OC you can reach without changing the volts?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, I used the same dvd-rom drive for several years....in fact, from 2002 or so until 2008 when it was replaced by a blu-ray drive. Hell, my dad used the same computer (except PSU) from 2001 until 2008. Hell, I still have my old Rage Pro card, GeForce FX5700LE....GeForce 6200 (from 2005).... They're not in my computer, but I still own them and they still function. My blu-ray drive will be getting replaced or removed soon as it causes boot issues (known problem with AHCI mode). Aside from DVD/CD-RW drives, I don't tend to use components that are out of warranty. BUT, the average consumer does in fact keep computers until they fail or lose their usefulness.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Granted, I also keep a few older computers around for menial (read: Internet and Word) duties, but it is not something you would consider when buying a high end CPU if it will be around in 8 years.

And CD/DVD drives don't count :p

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My dad's last computer had the fastest sckt 478 P4 available at the time of purchase....and was purchased with the intention of keeping it as long as possible. The only reason it was replaced was due to motherboard failure and lack of available, reasonably priced replacements. The only motherboard I could find for it was over $400USD....his current computer was less than $400USD.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Really? I have seen Skt 478 boards with DDR2 667 and picxpressx16 supporting all SKT 478 p4 for $69 USD before.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    this actually had to buy one for my kids rig a couple years ago. was a biostar lol

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'd honestly buy one to just play with if I had extra money lying around, would be fun :)

14. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    lol what? ever heard of a thing called eBay? or newegg? they are available all day long ok sometimes limited selection on newegg but on eBay there are literally hundreds.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The right hand doesn't know what the left hand did.
    I guess everything is fine as long as it's the underdog, right?

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Posting fudged up benchmark isn't as damaging as say Intel bullying OEMs to not incorporate AMD products or delay the launch sufficiently to make them not viable or else they lose volume discounts and what not?

That's more damaging and under handed than fudging up performance numbers. We all know manufacturers tend to overexaggerate performance numbers.

deltatux

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The computer was assembled by HP....I was told to either find an HP motherboard or scrap the computer. The ONLY compatible board available was in excess of $400USD, was refurbished and had a $350 "core" charge on it.

Or....just delay a huge shipment of Xeon processors for several server clusters.....kinda like what Intel did to Compaq shortly before they went bankrupt....

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    wait. didnt intel end up paying amd like $2billion to settle some antitrust dispute? i remember reading about it a couple years ago. of course intel still denies any wrong doing. imo, i think it would be in everyones best intrest if intel was forced to divest. its not really that serious over here , but intel pretty much as full control on the overseas market.

19. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Intel paid that yes and renewed the cross-license agreement and that AMD doesn't have to pay royalty to Intel for x86. In exchange, AMD was to drop all lawsuits pertaining this issue and not have the European Commission on Intel's ass for it.

deltatux

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The $2billion USD that Intel paid to AMD was only a fraction of the damage Intel's illegal marketing did to AMD....or companies that refused to bow down to Intel...