AMD FX-8150 hands on

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by QuinEtiam, Oct 13, 2011.

1. QuinEtiam

QuinEtiam Banned

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    Thanks to memoryexpress in Calgary I got to build my new system a few days earlier than expected.

CPU: AMD FX-8150
    Mobo: Asus M5A88-M with onboard video
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit
    HD: Seagate 250GB (2 years old)
    Windows 7

Ok, I produced and sell video clips and 3D renders. My last CPU was a AM2+ 940BE with 8Gigs. I use Cinema 4D(11) and Vue 7 for 3D.

Here's my initial real world results:
    *link removed*

The arse-hole downstairs has a 2600k system with 12GB and a SSD, I installed Cinema 4D on both systems and rendered a 600 frame scene. The FX-8150 rendered the scene about 20% faster. I have another scene crunching right now and will report back.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Details on clock speed (yours too), motherboard and RAM of the 'arse-hole downstairs' system, and whether the input & output for rendering is exclusively going in the SSD instead of external or secondary HDD(s).
    Oh, and keep on paying those extra electricity bill.

Not trying to downplay your results or anything, just trying to put things into perspective.

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    odd amount ram on the 2600k 12GB? what's that 2x4 an 2x2?

4. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Finally some good news from somebody that know for what this CPU is made. A patch to increase gamers (like me) adrenaline level will be welkome and I'm quite certain that AMD will react in the next months.

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    reviews say other wise :biggun:

6. QuinEtiam

QuinEtiam Banned

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    Both systems at stock speed.

I have to admit I have been away from the hardware for a while. I just want it to work and be cheap.

Both systems have 1 hard drive. The 2600k system has a 128GB SSD, my system has a SATAII 7200 drive.

I don't trust any of the review sites, my experience with an AMD X4 940BE proved to me that the reviews are totally biased and very narrow in real world relevance. Me and a video editing buddy ran dozens of test on our Intel/AMD systems and the fact was that there was no more than 5% performance difference.

I hope the Corsair Hydro fits AM3+, I loved that thing on my 940BE, nice and quiet.

The one thing nobody has addressed is why not a dual/quad socket FX-Bulldozer?

I was going to build a dual Opteron 6128 render box that priced out to around that same as a 980x system.

Just my opinion but AMD would sure grab a lot of market share if they did it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Cinema 4D uses load balancing, which is good for server CPU's, but the OVERALL performance of the FX8150 is weak and underwhelming, and it makes the CPU a bad choice for consumers, let alone performance hungry hardcore OC'ing enthusiasts.

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    read for once what I have stated in my post, don't just answer to increase your numbers of posts :biggun:....geeez

9. QuinEtiam

QuinEtiam Banned

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    Whether it's +/- 10% on some benchmark means nothing.

This is one Amazing and fast platform. AMD wins for one reason Price/Performance.

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    patch that may never come you mean?

11. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Initial price, yes.
    Total cost of ownership, not so much.

Here, let me explain my reasoning.

First, go here for an idea of how much both parts consume power (FX-8150 & i7-2600K) at stock.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/11/amd_bulldozer_fx8150_desktop_performance_review/9

I'll just take both numbers rounded down to the nearest tens : 250W for FX-8150, 180W for i7-2600K.

Now I'll take the minutes from your blog.
    4h32m for i7-2600K, and 3h47m for FX-8150.

Ok, to make it simple, I'll just use (wattage) times (rendering minutes) for simplicity's sake.

i7-2600K -> ((60x4) + 32) x 180W = 48960W
    FX-8150 -> ((60x3) + 47) x 250W = 56750W

Yes, those are unrealistic numbers, but it's only to show you that you'll have bigger electricity bill compared to your friend even if you finish faster.
    That's, of course, if your system and his are identical, motherboard & CPU aside.

Then again, the HDD you use consumes more electricity than his SSD.
    Also, you said you use the Hydro series from Corsair.
    If your friend cools his i7-2600K with air, you also pretty much consume more wattage in terms of cooling solution.

At this stage, you're better off building a dual-socket PII X6 1100T; less power consumed, not much of a performance difference.
    Or just wait until the next BD revision comes out.

@Kohlendioxidus
    Of course, it's always the software at fault. /sarcasm

Personally, my beef with BD is its power consumption.
    Other than that, it's a fine CPU.
    And no, no 'patch' can fix that unless AMD fix the current leaks in their chip design.

12. QuinEtiam

QuinEtiam Banned

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    I've made $1082 from this clip over the last 2 years.
    http://vimeo.com/26986057

I'm from Alberta: We make energy

It's soon to be -20 outside and will stay that way for 5 months.

I'll run an air-hose from outside into my case. Call it reverse free-energy cooling.

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh, right.
    I forgot we live in planet Alberta where computer cases are being cooled with exactly the same 'design' as yours; silly me.

14. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    you may be right, a patch may not be enough. I also agree regarding the power usage, is unacceptable...AMD have to revise their architecture and to better understand their fab. technology. We will see some updates during next year.

The problem is WHEN? I think will not be very very soon as their Liano chips sells like warm bread (they deserve that as are on overall more competitive as Intel). The ones who doesn't give a **** on best of the best (and these are very few) will maybe still grab a X4 or X6 that can do very very good for some time to come.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    When AMD management realize that there's more to CPU engineering than PowerPoint slides & YouTube comparison videos with disabled comments.

Their Llano chips are actually brilliant compared to Intel's lackluster Atom line.
    What's not so brilliant is its manufacturing output.
    And, stupidly enough, it has lesser marketing than Bulldozer.

Now that Intel has that 'Ultrabook' program running utilizing their low-powered SB chips, Llano just hit another stumbling block for its relevance in mobile computing.
    Fortunately, Ultrabooks are designed to be a bit on the expensive side; it has to 'compete' with MacBook Air, anyway (which ironically also uses SB).

If AMD is smart, they should push Llano production and marketing for economical, energy-saving but still somewhat powerful portables.
    Get the revenue for BD revisions and/or Piledriver research fund, and get another Athlon64 up A.S.A.P.

Consumer needs competition, but we don't have to award failures with anything but a kick to the arse.

16. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    saving power is useless for ppl who make 3d rendering or editing, you save 50w on the cpu but spend hundred with gpu and nobody complains about 6990 gtx580 or 590 tdp, and for ppl who wan't performance didn't care about electrical bill because their system run usually heavy overclock. Remember the fx 8150 is the top of the line of amd so it's not for mainstream, i my opinion this cpu is very good because it reduce the gap between intel core architecture and amd, and the memory controller is very good for a dual channel setup and it run only on 2.2ghz link if you push it around 2.6ghz its gonna rocks. But the raw performance is still a step under the expectation and the next revision of bd will certainly be good. I'll just stick with my config untill price drop.

17. DigitalKilla_FL

DigitalKilla_FL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    AMD should be ashamed. The X6 1100T beats their brand spanking new 8 core CPU. What am I missing? Can an expert (or more knowledge) please give me a brief explanation of what’s missing or broken on these new AMD chips?

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  19. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
  20. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I completely and totally agree with the OP on 1 thing. Online review sites all have a personal agenda which makes them biased to some degree. [Hard]ocp for example has the biggest bias/agenda. In every single review they ever do, be that CPU or VGA that always put a positive spin for AMD. Even when AMD losses they always 100% of the time leave the reader with a positive impression in there comments. Take there main CPU review released yesterday. Clearly Intel wins but in there finishing comments nothing but positive remarks about AMD. Also [H] and AMD hosts a gaming convention with AMD logo's and [H] logo's plastered all over the place. Anyone that knows anything about how the real world works knows that if you have a sponsor (AMD) you have to always say nice positive things about your sponsor. If you don't they soon decide to not be a sponsor anymore. This logically means that all AMD reviews would have a slight bias.

On the other side of the coin, personal user reviews do not have this type of pressure or bias. Sure, the user can have a personal bias against a company. But a turd will always be a turd no matter how you dress it up! In other words if the FX-8150 is a poor performing chip it will produce poor in everything. If not it will be good across the board in real world situations. The average "Joe" sitting at his PC desk is going to use real world applications and not hand picked ones from the sponsors. You guys honestly think AMD doesn’t put pressure on sites like [Hard]ocp? Of course they do. This is why if you look at there charts they always have AMD on top even if it is by a half a frame. Think about that for a second, really think about that...

Having said that: all major online review sites have an agenda. It isn't to tell the 100% truth either. Online review sites is a buisness. It is here to make money plain and simple!