AMD FX 8150 - 8120 - 6100 and 4100 performance review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 13, 2011.

1. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    It's going to be hell trying to sell my AM3+ motherboard. I have a LGA 1155 motherboard and i7 2600K on the way.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i got my sister to get it. with her discount it was like $66. retail price was over $100. f-that lol. plus i got another 2tb internal hdd, which i didnt need. rather have it on hand in case i do eventually need it. also got a faster micro sd card for my cell phone. so yea, getting tore a new one lol.

you know i was thinking about that today. i was looking on newegg to see the pricing on the x6. its still reasonable price for new. ive got 2 other rigs that use a 1090t in them. so i may part out the mobo and cpu out of those and keep the other parts as backups incase i ever need them. im thinking $135 shipped is a fair price. $35 less that whats listed on the egg and i do free shipping in the cont us. idk though, if i decided to go that route, ill have everything posted in the for sale section this weekend. then ill have my excuse for getting SB.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I wouldn't exactly call them fools. AMD made huge promises with Bulldozer. Unfortuntely, it turned out to be much like the HD2900 and Phenom launches and failed to meet the hype.

At least the users who bought the 990 boards have SLI support now...so, still an upgrade. Just not a cost effective or justifiable one unless you intend on using SLI.

4. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    I bought mine for a few reasons.

1: Bulldozer
    2: Better overclocking
    3: Crossfire/SLI support @ both cards running x16
    4: Upto 32gig ram
    So on and so forth.

But yes the REAL reason is for BD and better CF support.

But hey-ho. I aint bothered. I have faith AMD will come good on this one. It'll just take abit of time.

5. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    I wonder. Did i kill the thread?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^no AMD killed the thread

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I haven't had a board die in an eternity. In past it was exploding electrolytic capacitors, what is it these day?

8. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    you forget. those are stock vs stock tests. if you overclock a 2500k or 2600k bulldozer will never reach it. the problem here is that overclocking bulldozer will hit a wall in terms of consumption and heat while the intel cpus just scale and overclock lovely. bulldozer was also hyped by amd like no other cpu...

9. Hopelessness

Hopelessness Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD4890
    I have had the same board die twice, an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO, first time the onboard video went very red and distorted from the DVI port, and would fix itself if you put light pressure on the chipset heatsink.

Second time it was sat playing a little music and just cut out, and wouldn't start again. Tested it with a different PSU, CPU and RAM and nothing.

Needless to say, I now have a Gigabyte board.

I agree, hence why I bought a 1090T :giggle2:

However, I have a hunch this isn't it for Bulldozer.

10. panaghoy88

panaghoy88 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 560 1 GB DDR5
    I'm disappointed by AMD but is it me or is history repeating? Remember the first generation Phenoms with the nasty TLB bug? Every AMD fan got disappointed with subpar performance with its Intel counterparts then AMD released the Phenom II's with reasonable prices and AMD is back in the competition. Here's hoping AMD will do something similar with the Bulldozer cpus.

11. Kwok

Kwok Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 970's
    @Panaghoy88, I agree history repeating, but it goes farther back than Phenom. It would be great if AMD could deliver BDII just in time for the IVY release,,,, or would it?

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The problem now is that Zambezi is an entirely new architecture that, IMO, doesn't contain any bug aside from AMD hoping too much on core count and clock speed to compensate lesser single-threaded performance.
    And AFAIK, GF still has a bit of a problem with 32nm process yields.
    Zambezi might be saved if GF could manage 28nm or 22nm if just simply to lower power consumption and lower its price (due to more CPU per wafer).

13. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    omg what a failure.. AMD is 2 years behind
    great, now Intel has another reason to hike its CPU prices..
    oh well..our pockets is short on cash in this recession/depression so another reason to stick with what we got

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The main issue really was deeper pipeline stages (like Netburst) and AMD's over-reliance on the server market. Zambezi basically is AMD's way of giving consumer's the middle finger as Bulldozer actually works wonders in highly threaded environments. Unfortunately, those heavily threaded environment only exists in the High Performance Computing (HPC) market which AMD has a huge share of.

Unfortunately, AMD didn't make the architecture more consumer friendly by making the CPU more efficient in lightly threaded tasks (basically 90% of consumer applications). Thus, the crappy performance.

GlobalFoundries is partly to blame, but AMD's engineers is mainly to blame for the consumer market blunder.

deltatux

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I still don't see how they are going to market this architecture to the HPC market with its very high power draw and heat.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Unlike the server market, power draw is less a concern in the HPC market where performance is the driving factor. I haven't seen any benchmarks related to HPC applications, but if the performance is good enough, the power draw will simply be a side-effect of the performance. The HPC market is flooded with systems running multiple Fermi based cards....which aren't exactly light on power draw themselves, but do benefit from processors that can effectively manage high thread counts.

When you think HPC.....think Folding farms....

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're right, my mistake. Change my "HPC" to "server market".

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You do have to realize that in the HPC market, CPUs draw about that amount anyways to be honest. Intel's HPC chips draw about the same amount as Bulldozer does now.

deltatux

19. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Then the next question would be for around the same level of power consumption, which one's faster?

20. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI