1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Fury X Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fox2232, Jun 25, 2015.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.

The Nitro is using a custom PCB though far as overclock results go that's still up to chance though voltage might be better and the Nitro can go above 1.3v without crashing (Only Fury GPU that can?) though that's pretty high so unless you're trying to go above 1100Mhz (Or higher.) it's probably not worth going too crazy with upping voltage.

Far as ASIC is concerned Fury GPU's tended to be around the 60's percentage going by GPU-Z (My own is at 52%) since it's the Fury X that gets the best binned chips (And the Nano I think is also getting pretty high quality ones.) though ASIC doesn't really relate to overclock results by any direct comparison either from what I've read up on. (Leakage might actually benefit overclocking a little bit even.)

Oh and there's two Nitro models, one uses 1020Mhz and the other 1050 though the 1020 can probably be upped to 1050 without issue although some have problems going much higher than that but it's pretty random from what I've read with some GPU's not being able to go above 1070 without a heavy voltage increase whereas others can do 1100 and above so seems down to pure chance really what your own GPU will be able to achieve and what it will take to achieve such speeds while remaining completely stable.

Another downside with the Nitro at least for more recent models is that it's not possible to unlock the disabled cores though performance is usually not affected by that much either from doing this although it can help occasionally even outside of benchmarking but as I far as I remember the stock Fury compared to Fury X was about 10% slower or some such really low number and that's in benchmarking software so they're pretty close already by default.

VRM's get pretty hot too which some of the third party Fury GPU designs improve on over the stock water cooler although well the Tri-X and Nitro might have gotten points for it's silent and efficient cooler but that's primarily because it tends to stick around 20 maybe 30% speed by default, once it goes above 40% speed it gets pretty audible and above 60% it gets downright loud. :D

It's still pretty effective even at lower speeds though aside from the occasional game that for whatever reason causes the GPU and VRM components to heat up to where the fan kicks in at 100% ha now that's a pretty high noise level.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    It's a 1050mhz model I have and sadly it's a locked model :'(

I've tried Onna's bios mods before and particularly his tmod one as per his recommendation but I get horrible power throttling and stuttering with it so reverted back to the original bios.

[​IMG]

Even though my card has a ASIC quality score of 64%, it really doesn't like to be pushed any higher than about 1080 so I just leave it alone (I would have been happy with 1100MHz too).

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Determining the best gaming solutions in 2016

Below we've listed 16 games, on the basis of which to build our conclusions:

Far Cry Primal test GPU 2016
    The Division test GPU 2016
    Hitman test GPU 2016
    Rise of the Tomb Raider test GPU 2016
    Homefront The Revolution test GPU 2016
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst test GPU 2016
    Total War: Warhammer test GPU 2016
    DOOM test GPU 2016
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided test GPU 2016
    Quantum Break 2016 GPU test
    Mafia III test GPU 2016
    Battlefield 2016 1 GPU test
    Titanfall 2 test GPU 2016
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 2016 GPU test
    Dishonored 2 GPU test 2016
    Watch Dogs 2 2016 GPU test

Then we proceed to the analysis of the results of our test. So, something to learn what solutions are the fastest graphics card in the game in 2016, we sum up their total FPS in games we tested.

[​IMG]

So we see that in the resolution 1920x1080 the three leaders entered solutions - GEFORCE GTX 1080 the SLI, GEFORCE GTX 1080 and GEFORCE GTX 1070 . If the choice of single-chip solutions, the result is identical - GEFORCE GTX 1080 , GEFORCE GTX 1070 and GEFORCE GTX 980 of Ti .
    Below we present a generic graph with a resolution 2560h1440.

[​IMG]

At a resolution of 2560h1440 the three leaders entered solutions - GEFORCE the GTX 1080 the SLI, GEFORCE 1080 the GTX and the Radeon R9 are the X Fury has the CF . If the choice of single-chip solutions, the result is as follows - GEFORCE 1080 the GTX , GEFORCE 1070 the GTX and the Radeon R9 are Fury has the X .
    Below we present a generic graph with a resolution 3840h2160.

[​IMG]

Source: http://gamegpu.com/test-video-cards/opredelenie-naibolee-bystrykh-i-optimalnykh-reshenij-2016-goda

5. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    XFXR9 Fury X H2O
    I feel better about picking up my fury x at less than 300 bucks....thx for the info OnnA!

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Aside from Benchies, if One needs Gaming i mean Best for Buck Gaming

Right now (also future proof) best Option up to even 4k (with resonable Options) is Fiji Base GPU.
    You got best FPS/$ IMO (THX to Fiji Nitro OC+ i've got now 600€ for ZEN based System)
    Also FreeSynced Monitors are Cheaper, Best now is Samsung QLED (quantumDot) curved 1440p

~239-330€ RyZEN
    <200€ X-370 Board
    ~100€ 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The 290x is as fast as the 780Ti SLI setup, LOL

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You think its anomaly or Kepler cards are really doing that good? :D

9. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Kepler aged very badly...

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's the same reason that the 1070 is as fast as the FuryX CF setup.

2016 was a poor year for people with multiple GPU's

11. moaka

moaka Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti MSI GX
    +1 :)

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Just ordered a Fury Nitro for the other PC, looking forward to seeing how it performs at 4K.

13. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon VII
    Depends on the title. I recommend 1440 (144hz) as the sweet spot for the Fury. 1440p at 90 fps > 4K 30 - 40 fps lol

14. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    From this post in the OCN Fiji bios mod thread me and other members tested HBM clock steps.

I was a disbeliever on HBM having steps, but I do now believe it does and AMDMatt was giving correct info.

I have not done games testing yet, due to a number of reasons. For example I may do something different in game between each run. I may test some games with in game benchs as they would be set GPU work load.

For now I have done over 250 3DM FS / FSE / FSU runs :) , link to OCN thread.

OP will soon have more data, showing how differing ASIC quality didn't lead to better performance scaling at same clocks. Why I wanted to investigate that was due to how voltage increase can impact Fiji performance scaling negatively. Higher ASIC quality showed no improved performance scaling with increased voltage vs lower ASIC quality. In the tests it also showed higher ASIC quality GPU draw more Amps over VRM vs lower quality ASIC, which The Stilt has highlighted several times in several threads, Hawaii bios mod OP on OCN has quotes of The Stilt on ASIC quality.

There will soon also be TS benchs and other sections for discussion :) .

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Fury X - Is It Still Worth Buying?

299USD? its a steal :)

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Not if the 1070 is $350.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You cant find 1070 at that price, especially in EU. Same goes for Fury X.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Haven't compared against other countries but checking some stores here the few remaining Fury GPU's here seem to hover around ~400 USD, for the 1070 it's priced at around 500 - 550 USD depending on model.
    (For my own GPU I got lucky since this particular model was part of a sale but now it's the 480's that are seeing discounts instead.)

Only one or two Fury GPU models though for the stores that still stock them compared to the 1070 which has a number of different models.

Understandable I suppose since the Fury is pretty much EOL now and only available in very limited quantities along with some of the reference Fury X GPU's which are still around but they're priced at 600 USD or above having not changed much in pricing since release.

480 is pretty nicely priced though, around 340 USD for the 8 GB model though it is weaker in terms of raw performance compared to the Fury but far more readily available in a number of different models and there's the 4 GB version too for a bit less though I would go for 8 GB just to be sure if possible.

As for the 1080 that seems to vary a bit more from around 800 to 900 USD when converted from SEK, depending on model.
    (There's a lot of them, including various bundles for even more money.)

Nothing on the Titan X Pascal though but I think that's sold via Nvidia directly and only via Nvidia.

EDIT: And yeah compared to the US the PC system hardware here in the EU tend to be more expensive.
    (From what I know Sweden is a bit on the expensive side compared to much of the rest of the EU too but I think I remember reading Finland having higher prices still.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  19. moaka

moaka Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti MSI GX
    Not really , fury x in EU 431 euros so ~ 460 usd ? ( the cheapest )

source : R9 Fury XFX

Tva here 20% .

Only Nitro fury has really a nice price ( 249 e )

Rx 480 Gaming X 8gb ( MSI ) For only 239e Same price as the Rx Nitro 480 4gb

Source : Rx 480 Gaming X 8GB

Gtx 1070 ( the cheapest ) 379euros

I'm from france .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD