1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Fury X Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fox2232, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon VII
    Which hex values correlate with HBM voltage?

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Default vBIOS does not have them. There is need for modification. One I provided has it at: ACF2h
    It looks like:
    Code:
    8D 00 [B][COLOR="Red"]03[/COLOR][/B] 00 8E 00 [B][COLOR="Blue"]00[/COLOR][/B] 00 FF 01 07
    RED is GPU VDDC offset in steps of 6.25mV.
    BLUE is HBM MVDDC offset in steps of 6.25mV.
    Positive values like 01, 02, 03 are for decimal 1, 2, 3.
    Negative Value like FF, FE, FD are for -1, -2, -3.
    So FE is -2 => -12.5mV

Recently I did reverse Engineer 2 Mode Registers for HBM, so I made vBIOS having tighter timings. It increases performance in some scenarios.
    It is easy to compare Default vs Tight timings as I modified frequency range 501~600MHz.
    So, moving from 500 to 501MHz practically just enables new timing.

vBIOS is in same folder as before named:
    FX5_1050MHz.1269mV_500MHz.1300mV.RL2nCK.RW1nCK.RAS7nCK_369W.330A.360W
    Default RL is 10, Default RW is same (1), Default Activate to Precharge RAS is 8.

I did not change operation mode of HBM.
    So Bank Grouping is Disabled (As in default), JEDEC paper promises higher clock with enabled, but it did not actually improve OC.
    And Burst Length is 4, it can be 2. BL2 gives higher bandwidth in some cases, BL4 in others. But Games benefit More from BL4 At least that what I tested.

Whi I disclose this info? I got quite stable higher OC with +50mV on HBM, but did not pass all tests. Not even loser timings help. So I went other way around. Achieving higher performance from lower clocks.
    But it mostly improve compute.

Edit: I forgot to mention, after alteration of HBM voltage and flashing. DO not restart PC, Shut it down and turn it ON again.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  3. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I don't think there is that value in ROM.

Interesting information and share :) , thanks :) .

The PowerPlay on Fury differs from Fury X, the section with the CAC records. So personally I'd stick to Fury ROM on Fury.

@other members

Been doing a Fiji bios mod thread on OCN since 24/02/16, besides the manual edits I've logged in OP there is also DDSZ Fiji bios editor app. He has just posted v1.2 which does OverDrive Limits plus manual VID per DPM for VDDCLookupTable and VDDGFXLoookupTable now.

There is also AtomBiosReader, a windows app to make tables lists for ROMs. Info on AtomDis usage as well in OP.

I also created VDDC / MVDDC offset ROMs for Fury / X / Nano and soon adding Radeon Pro Duo in OP.

Look forward to seeing members using that info from here and sharing some mods they've done :) .

4. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon VII
    Okay I am starting to understand more. Do you then that the failed compute test do to adding voltage to HBM is universal or still more of a Silicon lottery thing.

I don't quite understand the Bank Grouping so I will google more into that. What kind of benefits did you notice with HBM set to BL4? Like are we talking synthetic benchmark gains or noticeable in game?

I found the values for your voltage mods in your vBios and while comparing with mine, I found where I can insert said values but because I am inserting new values and not replacing it is increasing the file size which I assume will be a problem.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, adding something is problem because it changes offset of everything. Just overwrite it in HxD Hex Editor or some other one and save. Then open + save with Fiji BIOS Editor which will fix CRC for you.
    After flash, turn OFF PC and on again as you changed Voltage.

I did download this:
    http://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/results/jesd235
    It helps a lot but as for BL2 vs BL4, it really does not tell which is 'better'.
    At least it tells what Bank Grouping is there for and what it can achieve.

It does not tell a thing about MR1 - Nominal Driver Strength, which may be actually helpful value for OC.

6. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon VII
    Nice thanks, I will give it a read.

And what is safe to just overright? I highlighted which looks to be where you made changes in your bios and is looks like the "8D 00 03 00 8E 00 00 00 FF 01 07" In you bios would go where I have highlighted in my own.

Xaero Bios
    [​IMG]

Foxx Bios
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I would not call splicing safe in any way possible. And yes, I call it splicing like DNA splicing to forcefully create hybrids.
    If you splice something into bios on right place, you still have to adjust offsets for everything affected.
    Not a child's play doing it by hand, so there is calculator somewhere. But even that does not guarantee working result as some things simply can't be altered in this not very elegant way.

But I have seen people remove entire data blocks for some part and place same type of data from different bios. Then just running calculator to fix offsets and it worked. But that stands for complete block and it has to be compatible anyway. Still risky. If it fails, best case scenario, vbios will not initiate card as it freaks out. Worst case scenario is permanent damage due to different operation mode.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    You have to be happy with Fiji GPU's, Right?

Look here ! In Homefront The Revolution my R280X is alsmost as fast as 970 !
    Its CryEngine 5 (DX12, ACE maby?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes i know, they don't Have King Fiji FURY samples Now :)

Yeah the King is assassinated :behead: -> Short life for the new King :bang:

And look at Great 780Ti (that was Good GPU IMO) now it is faster than 970 (Finally the Truth)

Im with ATI - 100% sure now :nerd:
    POLARIS FTW :infinity: I can easily Play New Games for 2-3 years

Im always looking at RAW GPU performance, without Drivers dedicated for Games.
    Drivers are drivers and Games are Games :) (like always should be)
    bul$its storm bandwagon for Gimping Procedures :thumbdown
    Do you remeber last year bandwagon?
    The TDP+Temps stuff, but now after Fury release it is swept under the carpet :nerd:

He He
    Now for fun ->
    (i dont like PC Gaming Master Race) :crapper:
    and BTW the ATI or AMD doesn't Started IT -> We are in great position now (ATI/AMD Users) we have Great H/W and it last for some time easily.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    I really do like my card it holds up so well. Well it does have 6.2 tflops of processing power on the clocks I run it so it actually should keep up quite ok.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Look at these -> First chinese test for 1080 ;-)
    TDP for 16nm.
    http://cdn wccftech com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080_Power-Consumption.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2016

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    And some of German Benches with 980Ti & TitanX + OC :)
    Maxwell on Steroids in 16nm nailed (rest is PR and some software "features" and bla,bla,bla IMO)
    Still not fully DX12? only DX12_1 like Maxwell? :bang:

===================

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    While you are right, I think this is not place to post this information. It can only attract unwanted attention. And we do not need to give mods additional trash to clean.

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    OK, i just wanted to point that -> The Fury-X is still superior H/W IMO
    No flame bro just the facts :nerd:

14. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I was looking at updating the Bios on my Nano but got a weird error message saying the Rom was locked. My nano seems to overclock slightly without any strange effects so will probably just skip the bios update.

Anyone else with a Nano that have upgraded the bios? Was it worth it or any points worth noting?

Thanks.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    You may have to switch bios to 2nd position as one may be write protected.
    When I moved from stock bios to new one from March 2016, I got no improved gaming performance, Compute improved a bit.
    If there are changes in Power Management, you may see improvement in gaming or actual decrease in performance. (all depends on changes)

I then did some other modification to Fury X bios which improved gaming performance (in average by 0.4%), as gaming performance is not timing sensitive. Tho compute performance, I may have fastest (performance/clock) Fiji chip around the world.

16. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I've not really played around with the card since purchase, i've been quite happy with the performance and thermals in such a stupidly small package.

I'll read up more on the BIOS stuff but the FuryX/Nano appear to be sensitive to change lol

I only have the GPU clocked to 1080Mz, a small bump but it appears to handle it well at full load and i can see even a small bump making a good difference in fps. I dont know how safely i can push it. In no rush to at the moment but would be good to know from other Nano owners what their ceiling is.

17. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    Do we have any Nano owners?

I should perhaps start a new thread for Nano owners i guess. Fury Nano and Fury X are very similar but might be best to keep both cards in different threads.

What do you think?

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Yes :)
    Great Idea

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  20. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X @4096SP
    What I take as standard is Fire Strike. It's reliable comparing differences between different hardware as I don't feel it sabotaged to work better in either Nvidia or AMD hardware.

However the test in there, Fire Strike Graphics standard, A Fury X scores around 16500 points in Graphics. Overclocked, it exceeds 17000 points.

Results from my own card, a somewhat prized Tri-X Fury with all CU's unlocked, so performs identically than any Fury X.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8514770