AMD Freesync not working

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CrC, Apr 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CrC

CrC Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580
    Hi all,

My specs. includes a SSD for game library with a new Samsung C24RG50 Freesync display (Freesync Range 48 -144 with LFC).

I've seen when frames are for example 60 - 85 it seems smooth but whenever the fps drop in die 50 range it stutters and Freesync is not working. I've read (and tried) a couple of posts where you set your Hz via CRU to the right Hz (detailed resolution = 143.981 to 144.00). I've also used DDU then installed a 2 year old driver (ver 18.3.2) to test it and it still stutters a lot at below 60 FPS. My current driver ver. 20.2.2.

I've also tried setting a max fps setting via RivaTuner Statistics Server setting to 85 / 75 and 60 fps. I've also tried using Radeon Chill and set min fps to 49 and max fps to 85 and still there 's a lot of stuttering when games dip below 60 fps.

Also note that my Windows refresh rate is set to 144Hz and my OSD is set to enable Freesync.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Yet another bad implementation of FreeSync 2 by a hardware maker. Check for a firmware update, or return the panel. Sounds like the hardware is only doing 60-144.

3. CrC

CrC Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580
    Hi Chastity,

I did not know HW makers do bad implementations of FreeSync!

4. Kero

Kero Member

GPU:
    strix 5700xt
    I have c24fg70 and I cant see a way to make sure refresh rate is changing with framerate when freesync is "turned on". In my monitors control panel it doesnt tell the actual refresh rate when freesync is on, only says freesync on. AMD windmill demo will only do 60 fps. Supposeldy this model has 70-144hz via DP but I've used CRU to set it to 60-144hz.

I cant find an OSD program that shows refresh rate changing with framerate, at best feels smooth most of the time, because I cant see of a way to confirm its ever working or not.

OP has the newer model samsung than i do, but I wonder if the monitors OSD is the same, what a weird choice by the manufacturer to choose not to let people see refresh rate changing with framerate.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    @op
    Your monitor has low framerate compensation

If I was you I would change the Freesync range from 48Hz-144Hz to 30Hz-144Hz

Download Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) is an EDID editor with a focus on custom resolutions. CRU shows you how the monitor defines resolutions and other capabilities and gives you the power to change it. Add custom resolutions, remove unwanted resolutions, edit FreeSync ranges, and more.

Open CRU, and click "edit", and modify your v-rate to include your lowest and highest refresh rate.
    Do not change anything else but the v-rate,so change 48Hz to 30Hz
    Restart Driver or computer and test for any weird stuff in games and on desktop.
    If you have weirdness raise the 30Hz a little at a time ,until all is good.

Screen of one of the monitor's I did 48Hz-144Hz to 30Hz-144Hz and worked fine.
    [​IMG]Freesync-range by gerard fraser, on Flickr

OnnA likes this.
  6. CrC

CrC Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580

Thank you for the detailed response! I've done that before exactly as you specified. When doing the UFO test (https://www.testufo.com/freesync) and looking when the stuttering starts I can clearly see no stuttering at frames 60 - 144, when the test goes from 30-59 I can see the screen stuttering. I don't know what to set anymore :-(

See below link of my CRU utility
    https://flic.kr/p/2iLduUn

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Please set FS range to 30-144 (in extension blocks)

8. CrC

CrC Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580
    I have done that as well OnnA. Thanks for the reply!

9. CrC

CrC Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580
    I have installed and tested the Witcher 3. It seems that freesync is working with this title. The previous attempt was with Gears of War 5 which did not work below 60 FPS. Thanks to all for the help. It would seem that it's a per title issue.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Did you try disabling Fullscreen Optimizations for GoW? This may help with the game getting a proper Exclusive Fullscreen.

11. FAQU

FAQU Member

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    Try 20.3.1
    I've had problems with freesync as well (it wasn't working at all on my dual-monitor setup) and this driver version fixed it.
    It might not fix your specific problem, but still, it's worth trying.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    FSO is implied with all dx12 titles, there is no disabling it.