AMD Epyc 7763 CPUs break Cinebench world record, crushes Intel Xeon in performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Intel counterpart looks like decade old tech looking at scores and TDP.

3. King Mustard

King Mustard Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    They're cheaper and faster but cost a little more to run, looking at the higher TDP.

I imagine that matters to datacenters.

Still - overall better from the looks of things

4. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    The IPC looks "roughly the same" between the two.
    52%+ performance for AMD for 60% more cores.

At this point, Intel is just lacking cores.

5. Ratilt

Ratilt Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Just lacking cores? I don't think you see the bigger picture here. If it is "just cores" why Intel not mach it or come close? Efficiency also matters for the server market and AMD product is leaps and bounds ahead of Intel's. I wonder what would've been the TDP of Xeons if Intel add 20 more cores. Besides, I've found Intel's TDP inaccurate of what it actually is.

Fox2232 and waltc3 like this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Not ture at all . Look at performance per watt . For datacenters it is what is most important and at this point difference is huge , just another level . Like i said before , like a decade of performance leap.

waltc3 and Richard Nutman like this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Dude, they get much more work done in the same time, with marginally higher TDP. It's like transporting people with a van, compared to a regular car. Even if the van used 10% more gas, it wouldn't matter since you could move twice as many people.

8. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    What matters is work per watt. And the Cinebench score per watt on AMD's is miles ahead of Intel.

You need roughly 1.52x more Intel dual sockets to match the AMD score, which would give you a TDP of 410 watts! Far higher with the Intel solution.

waltc3 and Kool64 like this.
  9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's more due to:
    - less core
    - less frequency
    - less cache

counterpart considerating above:
    - The Intel's price make the Epyc even more desirable for a company...

AMD play well to regain the PRO segment, last week it was aviability of pro GPU, now this...

waltc3 likes this.
  10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes and No, it depend on what you do per W and what it cost and gain... If cooling a bit more and it does enough more to compensate this charge it's OK.
    It depend on what the DC is intended to be used to.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    also there's another aspect of having so many cores all in one place: Space savings... can have a much smaller server farm which would potentially save on rent or allow more space for a sea of cubicles or something like that.

Kaarme, Richard Nutman and carnivore like this.
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Who cares :p

reix2x likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Seems a little weird to me you're not considering performance-per-watt. We're talking a roughly 35% performance increase for a 4% increase in power consumption. This of course is assuming TDP translates to power consumption, which overall it doesn't really, but in either case, the Epyc is very obviously doing more work while using proportionately less power. That's a win for datacenters, where as you said, this sort of thing matters.

The extra performance also means they need fewer servers, which in turn means a lower electricity bill.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Kaarme likes this.
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^ AMD´s CPUs are better overall but their biggest advantage over Intel is the core count, if Intel can match AMD on that aspect, then things become pretty even.

And that´s why i´m amazed that Intel is still to announce something similar to EPyc/Ryzen regarding their multi core approach...

15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    my experience from comparing a 8c 9900k to 24c 3960x both oc to whatever I could with the same liquide cooling setup (minus the cpu blocks)
    around 1.1x watts for 3x the cores and 2.8x cinebench scores
    intel max temp 89°C amd 67°C (same fans same rads same case !)
    the temps and watt/perf were pretty insane on AMD the only things where it suffered from the comparison were the overall system power usage (all pcie 4.0 and several times the lanes isn't free) and idling power because even if you tune them down there's still 24 of them rather than 8
    with high cpu usage tough the tables reverse and AMD becomes so much better
    can't wait for zen 3 threadripper so i can ditch "I has no lanes" intel

edit : H83 not only the core count, the biggest problem for Intel is that a single tiny die cannot be cooled properly, amd design helps cooling a lot with my current setup the cpu goes from max temp at 100% cpu usage to idle temp in <1s whatever highest temp was even 100°C so it's not that my loop can't cool it's just that a small surface can't "exhaust" or whatever you call that enough heat

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Broadwell is 6.5 years old give or take, so not far wrong!

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    @nizzen says these CPUs are only good for playing cinebench and they are cheap because they aren't exotic.

beedoo likes this.
  18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Laughing when rendering with 2x RTX 3090 on my old x399 with 1950x 16 core :p

itpro likes this.
  19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Totaly agree, i have made somewhere in here a post about it.
    In most case company change material around 4 or 5 year.
    Epyc started to be very intersting around 2 year ago...
    That mean in 1 year for early adopter, and in 2 or 3 year, we will see if they will keep Epyc on renew to have this info.
    If yes it might be for AMD the return on the Pro segment for time, but for that they have to stay on the run whatever it's positive or not.
    (what might be a good point is that pro motherboard maker seem to extend the AMD line, if they do is that there is a demand).

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    If Intel could make a competitive CPU it would, but it can't, so it doesn't. Intel will try and sell "productivity benchmarks" over performance per watt. I wish them luck because they will need lots of it!...;)