AMD entry -level Radeon HD 7000 cards to be rebrands

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 19, 2011.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And if you have anything below a 6850, you've already got it's HD7K counterpart.....lol.

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    There's an old saying:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I guess they're just making it better, die shrink = less power, probably some code optimisations/whatever you do with GFX cards to make em run a bit better otherwise, adding new instructions and what have. Personally don't see an issue with it as long as the performance is there and the price is right.

3. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Nope. The only rebrands in the HD6000 series were the Juniper core:
    HD5750 -> HD6750
    HD5770 -> HD6770

The HD6450, HD6570 and HD6670 weren't rebrands, Caicos (HD6450) replaced Cedar (HD5450), and Turks (HD6570/HD6670) replaced Redwood (HD5550/HD5570/HD5670).
    I haven't heard of an HD6350 though.

Laptop HD6000M series, those had more re-used cores other than Juniper though, HD6300M series (Cedar), HD6500M series (Redwood) and HD6800M series (Juniper).

4. panaghoy88

panaghoy88 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 560 1 GB DDR5
    As ezodagrom has posted the 6450, 6570 and 6670 aren't rebrands of the previous radeon 5000 series. The proof is that these cards support the latest UVD version. The rebranded series, the 6750 and 6770, still use UVD 2.2.

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    the usual

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Well said,

I was one of the people slagging off Nvidia when the continuously rebranded their cards. I may be wrong, but I don't think I have ever seen AMD/ATI ever rebrand a high-end card with a new number to fool people? Only entry level cards, and seen as most people on here buy mid to high-end models it does not effect us in the slightest.

Still I had respect for AMD/ATI for not doing this so often and now they are doing it more and more.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

In most cases that saying is misused. A correct application of it is (for example) not taking apart your DVD/blu-ray player if there's nothing wrong with it. The reason why you don't want to do that is you may do something to cause an issue with it.

The saying should not get in the way of progress, and in most cases, when people say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', the thing they are referring to is usually 'broken', maybe not in the literal sense, but in the analogous sense.

If you took the saying literally, you would never ever service your car, you'd wait for it to break down then try and fix it then. This also applies to the Radeon series, why wait until its incredibly outdated, then try and fix it, when you can start with a new architecture which (if they get it right) will be much easier to work with and improve upon in the future?

I have actually never heard or read anywhere where that saying is used in the correct context. I'm not sure where it came from originally, it could very well be the case it wasn't in the right context to begin with, but regardless of that, from hearing or reading it, its usually just used as an excuse to try an validate an opinion, an opinion usually relating to people fearful of change/progress. People are much more likely to use it in this scenario than one where the change is clearly overall negative.

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I don't care that much about renaming, as I likely won't be buying but there should be a nm shrinkage at least.

9. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    About the G92 though that people forget, is that when it become the GTS250 it wasn't "high end" anymore. They moved the old high end down to the low end as they came out with better stuff at the top.

Did they need to rebrand the 88xx to 98xx? No, but you have to remember that your not the ones paying the bills at Nvidia. The OEMs and investors push for that sort of thing really.

People are too damn uptight about this crap.

On topic

If AMD wants to rebrand the garbage stuff for the masses to save a few bucks then so be it. I see no problem with this. As long as the masses have facebook and farmville then I could care less as long as they leave me alone.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    You have it right. I won't be getting anything less than 79XX on upgrade.

11. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I'm skeptical of this as well.

AMD designs their cards with scalability in mind. Ever since the radeon HD3800's ATI/AMD have built small then scaled up rather than building big then scaling down. Nvidia releases old tech as new because their stuff didn't use to scale down easily. ATI hasn't had to do that because they've designed for the mainstream from the get go.

12. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Assuming this rumor is true, I'm not exactly in the market for a entry card....:bang:

13. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    wow lots of excitement over "rumors"

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If the cards GPU's are 22nm, then they're not really just 'rebranded', they're rebranded and updated.

OH NO, OH MY GOSH!

Intel Ivy Bridge, wow oh, they're just rebranded Sandy Bridge with a die-shrink and some minor updates!

This type of updating happens all the time. However, if it were the case it was literally the same processor with a different BIOS and stamp, or just a stepping change, thats different. That truly would be a rebranded processor.

15. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    The sad truth is, people don't bother to try and understand the words and expressions they use. Kinda like when people say "I could care less" when they mean is "I couldn't care less."

Anyway... I don't like rebranding, but as long as the "new" GPU is marketed as a lower model of the new generation, I'm fine. However, if they do give the new GPU a similar name, then it's a downright lie, and I hate lies.

People like us — gurus — who do their research aren't gonna be fooled, at any rate. It just makes it a wee bit more difficult for us to separate the chaff from the wheat.

16. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Don't forget the laptop GTX 260M...