1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD drops price on Radeon RX Vega 56 to Battle GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Not enough 7nm volume production in 2018, so it wasn't even up to AMD. It might still be a big issue for mainstream products. It would be kind of lousy to have only a few dozen cards per country (in selected countries exclusively) when launching affordable products for the masses.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like the first time that AMD has to drop their prices because of Nvidia.
    Anyways, competition is good, we see it here.

Maddness, chispy and airbud7 like this.
  3. GRGSHS

GRGSHS Member

GPU:
    Aorus rtx 2070
    5 words all negative We understood it you do not like the products of the AMD but as you see competition brings profit to the consumer let us hope better products in the future with greater profits for us.

OnnA likes this.
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    @HardwareCaps
    I would rather Navi be late and perform the way we expect it to than to be rushed and disappointing. Sure, it is annoying to wait this long, but if your hopes are so low, what are you waiting for at this point?

Maddness and sykozis like this.

5. GRGSHS

GRGSHS Member

GPU:
    Aorus rtx 2070
    Hello, I am writing for the first time (second :) but I watch you here for several years doing great work I love the reviews and the seriousness that exists on the forums
    I'm sorry for the handling of English

airbud7 and Denial like this.
  6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    I'm very much expecting Navi. This architecture is probably what we will see on the "PS5" & "XBOX 2"(next gen consoles) this could have massive implications to game requirements.
    also i'll probably get a Navi GPU as soon as it comes out. I just feel like it should have been sooner. RTX is not selling, Nvidia is having issues now it's the ideal time to strike

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, I certainly don't disagree with any of that. But, it's not like Nvidia is going to suddenly be making a lot of sales any time soon; AMD has time. The Vega56 is likely going to be a nice competitor to the 1660Ti, so as long as it is priced well, that might just hamper Nvidia's sales enough until Navi gets to be released.

8. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    As I said here before, even if you sold me a Vega 64/56 for half the price I wouldn't jump on it immediately, noise and heat are big issues with the Vega cards.
    the 1660Ti/1660 will be much much quieter and less power hungry.

RzrTrek likes this.
  9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    There are a number of AIB cards that don't have heat or noise issues in Vega. Nitro+, Red Devil to name a couple. You're also forgetting Vega is very easy to undervolt to reduce power consumption which in turn reduces heat and any fan noise from not spinning so fast. Reference style Vega cards yeah, but that's nothing new from GCN based cards really.

OnnA and carnivore like this.
  10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    so now you have a 1660Ti which is very close to the V56 and consumes only 120W, stays very quiet and costs 280$. that's rough.

RzrTrek and airbud7 like this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    GTX 1070s are almost out of stock.

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    [​IMG]

Not a day too soon, €599 (more than 6000 kr) was outrageous. I can't speak for all countries/regions, but Vega failed big time here and for once I would like to thank Nvidia for the competition.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    I don't have those three games in bundle so I am interested, how you take them? All retailers give them? Can I buy a Vega 56 from anywhere and claim amd's bundle? How does this work? Thx.

14. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
  15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    AMD are idiots. Only applicable bundle to their partnered retailers. So I am forced to buy the most expensive cards available to my country to win the games? NVIDIA wins. Bye AMD.

I can find Vega under 340$ here but I must pay more than 440$ to win the bundle. Who are they trolling huh? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I ain't go buying your lies red.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    It is not something caused by AMD. AMD offers promotional stuff, shops decide if they apply it. Here we have even RX-570 4G $138 (ex.VAT) which has exactly same bundle. If you sell those games, card comes quite cheaply.
    And in same shop, every single Vega 56 has that bundle too. (Cheapest currently $350 as price drop is still not here... understandable, will take a week.)

17. pharma

pharma Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13973/nvidia-gtx-1660-ti-review-feat-evga-xc-gaming

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I got to agree with this^....when you have to have 2 -8 pin power connectors just to match the performance of said 1660ti...?

we will see.

RzrTrek likes this.
  20. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280x
    No offense, but i´m curious about your idea of "extremely loud and produce quite a lot of heat."}
    Not gonna start an argue, but as an owner of a Vega 56 reddragon with undervolt and OC, i might wonder if having 220 W of "suposed" consumption reported by HW and never going above 75°C 30°C room temp and not going above of 60% of the fan is "extremely loud and produce quite a lot of heat.".