1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Driver issue - incorrect color display

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by avsrule247, Aug 26, 2019.

1. avsrule247

avsrule247 New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    I just finished building a PC yesterday with the following components and today I'm experiencing problems with what seems to be either color corruption or color profile swapping

Ryzen 7 2700
    RX 580 8bg
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Yesterday my colors looked normal. This morning when I booted up my colors changed to a very warm setting, ie my whites no longer looked white but a warm grey and every other color had a warm glow over it.

I isolated the issue to my GPU drivers. If I uninstall the latest drivers with AMD cleanup utility (not sure if DDU would make a difference at this point?) and run without drivers my monitor seems to be fine. As soon as I update they turn back to warm.

When I boot my login screen displays colors fine until I log in and then everything turns warm again. If I changed my monitor settings between FreeSync on/off they go back to normal colors, until I start a game or open certain graphic options. A "change in hardware" scenario seems to reset the colors back and forth.

I have tried using Radeon 19.8.1 and 19.5.2. I have set my color profile on windows to a custom from Acer's website. It still does not fix. I am on the latest windows 1903 which through my research tells me has conflicting issues with AMD software.

Any suggestions on where to go next? Or is this part of the problem between AMD and 1903 and I'm stuck until there is a patch?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    I wonder if there's some LUT or ICC profile getting applied or if there is one for the display or Windows AMD's driver overrides it with it's settings.
    I do use manual instead of automatic for temp though as I find the auto value to be too red tinted but this isn't exactly a state of the art modern display with careful hardware calibration come factory configured either.
    Full-screen would then have the software or game in question apply it's own color table but that should be out when you exit said software and back to Windows.

AMD's 8-bit + dithering shouldn't interfere with anything either and the 1903 issue should have been resolved in last months cumulative update for the OS if I 'm remembering that correctly so it's not a problem as long as you keep the 1903 build of Windows 10 updated.

Could be something with the driver too but checking if the OS has applied a ICC profile to the display could be a start although AMD's settings aren't the most extensive and I see you got a monitor driver or profile from Asus website though these are stock and not as good as a custom calibration so I wouldn't really bother with it too much. (Shouldn't cause any problems though, some of the early Samsung ones could cause a yellow tint in some programs but I think that's the exception and it should be fixed since that happened some years back now.)

EDIT: Not really sure, odd how removing the driver even with a cleaning software doesn't revert it though and I assume DDU also handles the new settings introduced by 19.8.1 though those did look like they were more for TV and HDTV than a computer monitor but AMD could have made some driver code changes too but then if so going back to a earlier driver should revert it unless it's written into the monitor and it's EDID value in the registry I suppose.
    (But installing a driver also updates or resets the display so that would default it anyway with some empty entries in the device manager though these are harmless.)

3. avsrule247

avsrule247 New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    I appreciate your thorough post, I'm going to try DDU tonight and see if it makes a difference.

On another forum I was suggested to look at options in Radeon Settings but AFAIK the only thing that has any impact on color is whether I'm in Full RGB or Limited.

Unfortunately I don't have another monitor to test it with to see if there is some compatibility issue, although it's brand new and I assumed because it was designed with Radeon Freesync support it would work perfect. I can try connecting to my tv.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not, the issue is still open.

Dashboard is set to mitigated, updated august 1st,
    its not fixed till it gets set to Resolved.

JonasBeckman likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Huh I see that's good to know, there's the new insider update as well but with the known issues for the regular cumulative and other ongoing problems and Microsoft now even testing a alternate update process for 20H1's cumulative (Does nothing, updates component version number a bit and tests a new update delivery method.) that's best to just avoid unless the user is experienced with testing and knows that there might be some problems involved though the September cumulative could perhaps be a possible improvement then depending on what's landing when that gets released in two weeks.

For the settings in Catalyst Next or Radeon Settings you have the main option with the pixel formats, color bits and refresh rate and then sub menus here that go into the color temperature and a few other settings used to be handled by the legacy component but that's mostly deprecated by now though it's still part of the driver components although not much remains of it now now in the last couple of drivers. :)

Advanced options I don't think you can access at all without stuff like Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) and that's a more complex route plus it's not guaranteed to be of any help and adjusting information like the EDID and what the monitor is reporting can be problematic if anything goes wrong even with various helper and recovery utilities so it's more of a passing mention and not something I would jump right into.

6. avsrule247

avsrule247 New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    DDU did not work, I ended up reinstalling windows and starting from scratch. This seems to have fixed the problem for now, even after getting all drivers up to date with Windows 1903.

If anyone else has this issue in the future, I recorded my steps:

1. Reinstall Windows without internet access
    2. Restart, and enable internet access
    3. Run windows update, restart again
    4. Update AMD Radeon drivers via direct download
    5. Restart again, no issues (so far knock on wood)

I was extra careful not to conflict installations of updates as I believe that could have been one of the problems the first time I booted up the PC. (I mistakenly enabled internet access during startup, and windows update ran at the same time as it installed the GPU drivers {maybe?}, although that still doesn't explain why the color issue only showed itself the morning after. So here's hoping that tomorrow it's still working fine)

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Check Display settings -> Advanced settings -> Displ. Adapter properties -> Color managment -> advanced -> change system defaults

Note:
    Best is to have original ICC for Your monitor (most of them have this on their web sites)
    When You do Clean install, this process must be done again.