AMD denies limited availability Radeon VII

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Perhaps not very many.

3. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    <Troll>

For the 5000 AMD gamers worldwide ?

</Troll>

alanm and RzrTrek like this.
  4. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Other sources say 10-20k initially 60k total.

5. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    Too expensive. I don't care if it has RTX 2080 performance if it costs the same. 2xxx series is overpriced as hell.

Jagman, mohiuddin and Maddness like this.
  6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Vega 56 is available for very nice price right now, I am seeing Gigabyte and Sapphire models at ~400 euro here in Denmark. Which is about 50€ less than the cheapest GTX 1070.
    But it's also sort of absurd since this is just a little shy of what I was expecting their initial launch price to be, and how many years ago was that? :p

msotirov likes this.
  7. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    This.
    I am an AMD fan, as i always prefer the underdog in the competition. With that being said, i think this product is overpriced for no reason. 16gb hbm 2 is just an excuse for that.

msotirov likes this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Even if it was somewhat cheaper, the increased sales wouldn't compensate enough, I'd say. There's not really anything phenomenal about Vega VII, at least not for gamers. AMD can't be making a whole lot of money with Vega as it is anymore, not since mining died. HBM is expensive compared to GDDR and the way to pack it with the GPU with the interposer apparently is troublesome as well. So, if they know they aren't going to sell amazing amounts in any case, it'll be all the same to keep it a bit more expensive so that they make at least a little profit.

9. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    @Hilbert Hagedoom "AMD did not make an official statement IF there will be custom cards at all, we don't expect that to be the case. But we still can hope."
    You've been around long enough to know fine rightly, That the custom cards will not be available at launch and probably not till 3-4 maybe even 5months later.
    You also know that the partners will produce reference designs to meet demand.
    You also know that 5,000 is a outrageous stupidly low number and that TSMC and Global Foundries wouldn't even produce such a low number of wafers.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    VII Gaming is just a binned MI50 which is a binned MI60. So the total production run is significantly larger but only a small percent become VII gaming cards.

That being said I doubt the number is 5000.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Fox2232 likes this.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Can't wait to see how it performs. It'd better be worth those 700 bucks.

12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    If you don't use your PC as a game console only, it will worth every penny.
    Those of us who are gaming but also using Blender, Unity etc 16GB VRAM at 1TB/s at $700 is a steal of the century.
    Also is the number crunching capabilities of the Radeon VII, which the next one up card is either MI60 or some obscure quaddro, which cost thousands and cannot play games also with.
    In addition yesterday AMD confirmed that it will have 1/8 FP64. That means 1.7Tflops contrary to RTX2080Ti 0.420Tflops.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If they release cheaper 8GB variants, I'm sure those would sell much better. I don't think these are bad for their price but they're not an attractive deal to gamers either.

Maddness likes this.
  14. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Can you link to the confirmation about the 1/8 FP64 support plz?

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

16. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Steam survey say's 74% for Nvidia and 15% for AMD, and we know there are a lot of respondents in there!

17. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Add PhotoShop to your list. This is why I'm getting one, as well as to support AMD. Would I like a discount, sure, but even at $699, at this time this card is a technology steal. With DirectML support, who knows what it will be capable of. I've spent more over the years on much less technology. I think this card is going to sell better than anyone thinks. I do think the first 1000 who purchase from AMD.com should get the crystal stand with the embedded GPU though.

tunejunky likes this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the original story was a plant.

availability was originally (6 months ago) going to be limited as it was thought that the iPhone X 2nd gen was going to be more popular and hog all of the fab capacity.

but Apple's woes are AMD and Qualcomm's gains. while the phone market is slumping 7nm Snapdragon chips will be flooding the market (and outperforming A11). AMD was going to be the distant third in production numbers but has ramped up fab time for Ryzen 3000...and a very good chance for Radeon VII.

AMD has learned they need a real launch so i do expect wide availability, but Europe may get the end of the stick at first.

19. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    @Denial Yes some don't make it as a VegaVII but yield rates are high and very few get wasted. Not enough to justify only 5,000 and everyone should expect the card to sell out early like most releases but there wouldn't need to be another lie story stating that amd only produced 5,000 cards because that figure is just stupid.

20. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Unless AMD stops making the workstation cards, stocks of the Vega 7 should be available.
    It makes no sense for them to say max 5000 units, because it depends on yield and how long they keep producing the full chip, so they really dont know, how many they would have available.