AMD Delays Ryzen 9 3950X to November, but releases Threadripper 3000 then as well

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 20, 2019.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's precisely what a shortage would imply - not enough chips for both markets so they prioritize the one with higher margins. This is precisely what Intel did when they encountered shortages.

2. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte VEGA 64
    This artificial shortage has been ATI/AMD's mmo since the dawn of time. I can't remember a time when AMD's GPU's or CPU's were so readily available compared to Intel/Nvidia (exc. the Intel cpu shortage earlier this year).
    It seems like AMD does not want to overproduce their products as they are not confident enought they will be bought up. I guess overproducing Vega cards is still fesh in their minds.

3. mannix

mannix Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Well considering how much did it cost to Nvidia I'd say well done AMD ;)

There's no shortage of 7nm, at least for now.
    You have to book the capacity and I guess AMD was more than cautious in that.
    Smart move that one too considering the backslash for the Turbo issue.
    Booking costs a ton of money in advance and the lead time for more capacity, if available, takes 3-6 months at best.
    I wouldn't hold my breathe for increased availability anytime soon.

I don't think that EPYC or Threadripper products are taking away so much capacity.
    The numbers are so low compared to Ryzen that even doubling it wouldn't affect much the latter.
    My guess is that they have a low yield for silicon which runs at high speed.
    The delay for the 3950x looks exactly like that.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Your memory must be really short then because there were no shortages of Ryzen 2000 products that I can recall. Even the current shortage is mostly limited to the Ryzen 9.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So the shortages earlier this year, that have recently(today) been stated may happen again

Intel CPU shortages started in last half of 2018 (for the current iteration)

January 2018, reports of Xeon shortages

October 2017, reports of shortages for Coffee Lake CPUs

June 2017, reports of shortages for Core X CPUs

August 2015, reports of Skylake shortages

Hmm....

6. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I was going to make a joke. But decided against it. You're welcome.