AMD Curve Optimizer 5800X 5100Mhz

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by bobnewels, Nov 12, 2020.

1. FujiXPro2

FujiXPro2 New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3080 10Go
    Thank you Bobnewels for this precious input. It helps a lot !

2. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Alcohol has nothing to do with this thread :p

AMD has released some nice tools and only to get better in December with Agesa 1.1.8.0 and AMD Adaptive Undervolting.For now while I wait for new tools.

Lets see how much AMD Curve Optimizer + Precision Boost Overdrive can your new AMD 5000 CPU hit on all cores in PC Gaming. This thread is for the elite J/K.
    Basically pick any PC game with no rules,take a screen shot of your PC Gaming boost clocks on all cores for epeen/evag champs.

My BIOS Settings for this test on AMD Curve Optimizer for all screenshots

For those who do not know how AMD Curve Optimizer + PBO works.
    You can set whatever you want and check stability. First off there are two different areas in all BIOS for PBO stuff.
    In the AMD overclocking section ,go to PBO and set your AMD curve optimizer up- this will give you normal boost clock EG:5800X boost to 4850Mhz
    In this section you can add up to 200Mhz it is the same for all motherboards EG: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz
    If you want higher CPU boost clocks then you need to goto the second area for PBO settings
    Advanced CPU Configuration set your PBO boost higher than 200Mhz like in the first section on MSI motherboards you can go as high as 500Mhz
    To get 5100Mhz then set PBO here to 250Mhz
    So 4850Mhz+250Mhz= 5100Mhz
    save and test.

I will start with Bronze/Silver/Gold screens

Mass Effect Andromeda Boost All Cores 5000Mhz

Xuan-Yuan Sword VII Boost All Cores 5050Mhz

Assassin's Creed Valhalla,A Plague Tale Innocence Screenshot Boost All Cores 5075Mhz

Observer System Redux -Palatium CLUB 5100Mhz All cores

SEKIRO SHADOWS DIE TWICE -Diamond CLUB 5125Mhz All cores

Your spot here -Titanium CLUB 5150Mhz

Xuan-Yuan Sword VII Boost -Prestige CLUB 5200Mhz

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    FujiXPro2 and Valken like this.
  3. FujiXPro2

FujiXPro2 New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3080 10Go
    Hi Bobnewels,

Unfortunately, your pics are not readable. It seems there are hidden characters in the url. But clearyl it looks great !

From my side, i can not reach the +200Mhz in the PBO. My computer reboot then return to the bios.

It works with +150 Mhz but it failed in CineBench R23 in monoCpu (multi are ok).

At +100 Mhz, it's OK but my score are under what i had with PBO in auto mode and without the +100 Mhz

Effectivly, it reached higher clockspeed but i have also stabilty problem concenirng the DDR. I set my RAM to XMP and my profile was OK (DDR 4000 Mhz Ballistix Max).

But FLCK at 2000 Mhz are not still OK with this Agessa. It's good at 1800 Mhz.

Others troubleshootig, during a ram test with OCCT where i found a lot of WHEA errors.

Reduce my ram speed from 4000 to 3200 fixed the problem.

I'm waiting now the next Bios from Gigabyte with tne new Agessa

4. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well my fault on the screenshots the site is banned by the owner of this site.
    I have read about the Whea errors,I can reproduce them if I Sync MCLK/FCLK/UCLK higher then my ram can handle. I PC game 4K so Ram is not a problem at all for me.
    Your CPU is good I bet ,it is your motherboard BIOS that is not.Anyway no need to overclock the Ryzen 5000 CPU's they overclock great by themselves. Do n ot get to jelly of the screens ,I switched them to flickr

erouz and FujiXPro2 like this.

5. FujiXPro2

FujiXPro2 New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3080 10Go
    Impressive you results ! Really !

I'm very happy with my 5800X. I found the good balance between température and performance by decreasing the V-Core with -0.78 value. I only lost a few points on Cinebench R23 but i gain 5 to 10 degrees less as a result, in gaming, it's a n average of 62°.
    Max load is with BF 5 (68°) and in the latest big AAA Games like Watchdogs Legion or Control, it's around 50 to 60.
    The boost is effectivly still there.
    Cinebench pushed the temperature to 79° but i think it's pretty acceptable finally for a R5800X.
    Curious to see what will give the next bios with Agessa. I'm reallly would like to play around with the Curve Optimizer and the FCLK to fix my WHEA errors and max out the perfs.
    Anyway, you're a great help in reaching this goal !

6. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Glad to help out some. You not really missing much with your settings.Still fast CPU
    New BIOS/ AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.8.0 when release in December will have more AMD Adaptive Undervolting + AMD Curve Optimizer control those temperatures

Some BF5 AMD Curve Optimizer
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    JonasBeckman, Valken and FujiXPro2 like this.
  7. FujiXPro2

FujiXPro2 New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3080 10Go
    Waohhh !

So nice your results ! Can wait to play with the new Bios !

I was wondering concerning my WHEA errors if i let my ram settings at offical XMP 4000 Mhz (so with errors detected by OCCT, but in my daily life i have no problems at all when i play or work) ) or should i downgrade the settings to 3200 Mhz where there are no erros detected ?

What is the best solution in your opinion ?

8. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well I am not one to ask on this matter. The WHEA error is not rebooting your computer, I would not worry about it at all.If you do not like the errors then run your ram until you do not get errors.
    As far as setting your Ram speed ,it really does not mater and what really matters is the timings for best performance.
    The WHEA errors will be rectified through BIOS/Agesa updates.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @bobnewels Great job! 7 cores at 4.9 - 5 GHz with 99% GPU utilization! That Frostbyte engine scales really well!

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    While I don't have the new 5000 series CPU's it's going to be really interesting to see what AMD can do once the new AGESA code lands in new bios updates and additional features become available perhaps also additional options getting added to Ryzen Master for overclocking or just going via bios settings directly.

Also fixing up some of the existing issues currently going on and possible some general compatibility problems at least those from AMD's side.
    There might be some aggressive tuning and the RAM training and such tweaks that may be more on the motherboard vendors and individual issues between models here from how it's looking at least.

Could take a while to stabilize though and going by some current beta bios updates on 1.1.0.0 Patch C (Asus, Gigabyte probably others.) there's a lot of testing going on and might be ongoing until late December depending on when Patch D is made available ahead of the 1.1.8.0 code.

Seeing some good results already though from what I've been reading about this, some CCX tweaks and the CPU's take really well to the adjustments showing some good boost benefits and keeping a higher sustained clock speeds.
    (Also looks like there's less variance in core quality even if some might be better than others but it's closer between them and PBO2 and other improvements could make for even better results.)

EDIT: Silencing these RAM errors or rather resolving the issues behind these and possibly also improving chances with 1900 infinity fabric speeds possibly 2000 speeds (DDR4000) would be impressive too but I have a feeling that AMD's code improvements will still be heavily reliant on a very good quality motherboard and binned CPU plus high quality RAM as well particularly if the user is also tweaking the timings to maintain latency on the dual CCX CPU's.
    (Think that's how it worked here the 5900 and 5950's are using two complexes either six or eight cores each now.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020

11. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Some SOTTR set up to 5150 Boost and holds 5000+Mhz boost for about 20 minutes,not bad at all if you like big numbers. No performance gain at higher resolution.

I left out AMD Curve @ up to 5175Mhz 5800X temperatures 75% CPU Fan Speed rank 2 DDR4 CL20 3600 and PC Games performance is not effected
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Valken likes this.
  12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @bobnewels is your CPU fan LOUD during the full load runs? Just curious as I hate the loud fan noise at PEAK usage. If not, it will help to save a $100 or more from a AIO water cooling kit.

13. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    For my CPU cooler I have fan curve setup for silence until I game with headset on.
    Like every AIO CPU Cooler out there silent to 50% fan speed(usually between 600RPM-1100RPM for 50% depending on CPU cooler fans) and after that you can hear the Fans.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  14. Guru3Dmember

Guru3Dmember Member

GPU:
    6Gb
    Nice thread. Haven't installed my 5800X into my Aorus Xtreme yet, waiting for AGESA 1180

15. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I am wanting 1.1.8.0 to get my hands on AMD Adaptive undervolting also to play around with it.

16. FujiXPro2

FujiXPro2 New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3080 10Go
    Keep up in touch please. Waiting this new tools to undervolt in ext Agesa :) With the actual bios i have, no more WHEA errors at 1900 Mhz FCLK .

Would like to go to 2000 Mhz :)

Core optimizer set to -10 all core, +100 %Mhz CPU boost overhide . CPU Voltage set to auto. Result is max temp under Cinebench 81°

In game, Cyberpunk is 65 to 67°, BF 5 is 68 to 70°

I think it's pretty OK right now but if i can gain 5° it will be super :)

17. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Just waiting for the release of the new BIOS. Today I been playing Cyerpuck lol Cyberpuck77 for about 6 hours on 4900Mhz all core overclock and works the same as curve optimizer with about 4°C-5°C Lower in CPU temperatures with SMT patch. All core 5000Mhz same as curve optimizer temperatures

So cyberpuck 77
    curve temp-65°C-66°C avg CPU clock 4950Mhz
    4900Mhz -60°C-61°C
    5000Mhz-65°C-66°C

Valken likes this.
  18. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Currently running a 5800X as well. I had the same WHEA errors when running my memory above 3600. I increased my VDDP and VDDG voltages, also SoC Voltage. Errors went away never to rear it's head again.

I use 1.100mv on SOC and .850mv on VDDP and .800mv on VDDG.
    When left at stock it would give nonstop errors in HWInfo and Windows Event Viewer.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Valken likes this.
  19. FujiXPro2

FujiXPro2 New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3080 10Go
    Thanks for the help. Appreciated.

I have no more errors since i m using the last gigabyte bios. 1900 Mhz witht the FCLK.. Try 2000 but not stable.

The thing i tried to do but i don't undertand clearly is to reduce my temperatures a bit.

I give an offest of -0.090V and my temperatures decreased to 75 degrees but i loose some boost frequencies (4700 to 4300)

If i stay with a fixed voltage, i got a better boost on all cores but still again below the auto mode.

Would it be possible to stay at a voltage around 1.250 or 1.300 and to keep the boost on cores around 4600 Mhz ?

20. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I bought an Intel 10850K today and selling 5800X,I could not resist the price drops on Intel.Yeah I am an idiot but it is all the same to me.