AMD Curve Optimizer 5800X 5100Mhz

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by bobnewels, Nov 12, 2020.

1. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It really does not make a difference but you can switch to Windows ones no problem. With the latest AMD Chipset driver there was no power plans for me and I actually got them on another forum to install them and use AMD Ryzen high 90% of the time so all cores get used. Balance some cores get used and power saver a couple cores get used.
    I have about a dozen power plans installed for testing to see how they work.

2. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    EDIT:It is embedded object in sample overlay,not AIDA64 for min/avg/max

I use hotkeys to turn it on/off for the game thing. I have two timers in the overlay, as in the quick guide i thought I put that there I may have to look again it was six months ago or something I did it.
    Here is what you can do ,unless your making your on graphics. Use sample overlay and use the values in that overlay and change as you want.
    Look at the tutorials i linked in the guide for his youtube channel

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Super

You didn't get anything straight, I asked you a simple question that you haven't even answered.
    I didn't say anything about not running your CPU at higher speeds, you can do whatever you want with your equipment.
    I asked specifically why do it in this particular game which has shown to be GPU heavy, it barely gets my 5800x going.
    I mean I can literally play this game on the Power Saver plan and see no noticeable performance decrease compared to High performance/Balanced plans.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  4. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Please do not bother me anymore with posting in this thread.

5. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Super
    I'm asking you a simple question man, why are you upset ?

I'm genuinely curious, I mean are you actually playing Valhalla with your 5800x @ 5.1ghz, or did you just do it for benchmarks.
    I'm doing my own tests on the game that are very interesting, it's why I'm trying to gather more info from threads like this, that's all

6. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Stop trolling in this thread.

7. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Super
    I'm not trolling, I just tried your Curve Optimizer settings but my PC rebooted, so I set them all to 10 instead of 15 like you did, and I'm in windows right now typing this, and every core is bouncing up to 5050mhz so it seems to be working.
    I can use these settings for playing a CPU heavy game like the Total War series which was basically what I was getting at with my questioning.

Untitled.png
    [​IMG]

8. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Stop trolling this thread.

9. Cidious

Cidious Member Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2070S G OC
    @bobnewels I'm missing the exact settings you've used. Am I looking over it? Why not use this thread to help users going with the Curve Optimizer?

10. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    MY exact BIOS setting have screen shots there is nothing more I can show.Check description ,I kept it simple.

Testing 5175Mhz 5800X
    [​IMG]Cinebench20 663
    [​IMG]Cinebench R23 1698

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I've also tried CO on a 5900X but with far worse results than you. It would be great if you could post BIOS settings since I cannot find them anywhere in this thread. Or even better, explain what the settings do since every sample is different.

CCD0 seems to boost better than CCD1 so I went with -5 on the first one and -10 on the second one. So far I'm getting 634pts in CB20 Single core and cores don't boost higher than 4950MHz. I'm using PBO Advanced with Motherboard limits but that's all. I know you can change more things and that sometimes more current is needed but I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance!

12. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    My BIOS settings everything else set to auto

You can set whatever you want and check stability. First off there are two different areas in all BIOS for PBO stuff.

In the AMD overclocking section ,go to PBO and set your AMD curve optimizer up- this will give you normal boost clock EG:5800X boost to 4850Mhz
    In this section you can add up to 200Mhz it is the same for all motherboards EG: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz

If you want higher CPU boost clocks then you need to goto the second area for PBO settings
    Advanced CPU Configuration set your PBO boost higher than 200Mhz like in the first section on MSI motherboards you can go as high as 500Mhz

To get 5100Mhz then set PBO here to 250Mhz
    So 4850Mhz+250Mhz= 5100Mhz
    save and test.

[​IMG]AMD-Curve-Optimizer-in-BIOS

[​IMG]AMD-Curve-Optimizer-BIOS-Settings

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Thanks for your reply. I think I've missed the second PBO area, I need to find it.

A few more questions if you don't mind:
    1. Core 5, did you set a lower value because that's your best core according to Ryzen Master?
    2. Which AGESA are you on? Your BIOS build date is one month old.
    3. You haven't touched the CPU voltage offset?

I did add -10 to CCD0 and -20 to CCD1 with Auto scalar and +200MHz in the CO section. This gave me boosts up to 5050MHz but unfortunately the computer restarted itself after 3hrs and gave me a WHEA error.

14. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    1. After watching PBO on max Core 5 was my worst core so I gave it less voltage offset.I do not use Ryzen Master at all.
    AMD Curve Optimizer Voltage Offset 5800X - Google Drive
    2.In the video it was AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C . New BIOS/ AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.8.0 when release in December will have more AMD Adaptive Undervolting + AMD Curve Optimizer control
    This is known since AMD announced it on Nov 6 2020 but follow up from MSI,since I have the MSI Motherboard.So no LLC/no CPU offset voltage all auto to keep it simple.
    Post#12 explained all the changes for AMD 5000-AMD Curve Optimizer 5800X 5100Mhz | guru3D Forums

CPU Frequency Cannot Go Turbo Frequency
    Note. This issue should be common issue on all motherboard vendor
    This issue happens when using Ryzen 5000 CPU + PBO enable + adjust CPU voltage
    Symptom: CPU frequency locks at base frequency and will not boost to turbo
    Solution: No ETA

You restarts is probably in idle or low voltage mode. Your setting on Curve optimizer are not set correct. I suggest turn PBO up to Max and uninstall/turn off Ryzen Master and check how your cores react to boost and go from there. Adjust Curve Optimizer per core,just adding numbers may not work the best.Also use a high power plan ,not balance or power saver where voltage drops too much or adjust power plan your self.

Whea errors I notice if MCLK/UCLK/FCLK are not set properly or to high for your CPU you get them errors,adjust accordingly and I can only speak for myself and MSI motherboard I use.

All
    I can say it works,it is overclocking and if you do not invest the time ,then AMD has already done it for you with great CPU's out of the box. JMO

15. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    Played a bit with it too. Got to Negative 10 on the curve and PBO + 200Mhz. But the results in my case are more power consumption, higher voltage and no gains in the game i play. I think that most Ryzen's are best left at the default settings, at least for gaming:

16. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Higher CPU clocks are for epeen only,you could run a Ryzen at 4250Mhz and get same results as 5000Mhz with higher resolutions.

17. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Which board do u have? I just updated myX470 strix to support 5000 series cpus

18. FujiXPro2

FujiXPro2 New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3080 10Go
    A big thank you. I was trying to understand how this thing works and your screenshots helped me a lot.

I also have a 5800x too, and i was wondering if the Curve Optimiser will allow me to drop down my temperature.

Yours is so low that i would really like to have the same. Even i have no AIO but a DeepColl Assassin III.

I'm not looking for overclocking my CPU, just to undervolt it and gain lower temperature. I set the CO to -21 per core, all the rest in auto and it's reached 81.5 Maximum on Cinebench. I was at 87° before to touch the CO.

Do you think i can gain more and if yes , how ?
    (sorry for my english, it's not my native tongue)

19. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    In December Agesa 1.1.8.0 is being released with AMD Adaptive Undervolting + AMD Curve Optimizer control which will allow proper control of temperatures.Do not expect miracles.

81°C is perfect temperatures for your CPU cooler even according to AMD. In post #12 I posted the Ryzen temperature chart ,along with what is happening at AMD and Ryzen 5000.
    [​IMG]

Since a 5800X is a great CPU and your having problems with temperatures and your serious you want to reduce temperatures you can no problem at all. You can introduce and use override voltage which will tame your CPU to whatever temperature you want. Only problem you will lose some points in Cinebench due to clock stretching but you will be able to keep your boost clocks. May reduce PC gaming benchmark a couple FPS depending on resolution. I only suggest this for people who think 81°C is too hot or temperatures are out of control, which is 100% not true at all on Ryzen CPU.

BF5 with override voltage with max CPU temperature of 54°C with a boost clock up to 5100Mhz.

Screenshot of BIOS settings to change .The lower the override voltage the more clock stretching,that part is up to you to set where your comfortable with temperatures
    MSI-Snap-Shot.png

droopy_ro and FujiXPro2 like this.
  20. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    ASUS CH VII 470x ...... love the board it runs everything great & stays cool with my 2700x. I leave all on auto except my ram that I tune in myself and with 5800x being same core count it'll run great, it should the 5800x has lower voltage too.