AMD Crimson ReLive 16.12.2 (January 9 2017 edition) Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Did some testing yesterday, and discovered that with 16.12.x that while gaming, and I use a fixed fan speed for my testing, that the fans will throttle down, and allow the card to reach up to 93C. Twice this happened, and after a bit at this temp, the PC was forced to reset itself. I was present when this happened a third time, and I had to go into Wattman and force it to raise the "fixed" fan speed by resetting it to Auto, then back to another fixed speed. Then the fans came back on, and cooling was re-established.

So either Wattman isn't ready for R9 cards, or our R9's need a FW update to work better with Wattman. On the upside, I ran the game again and left it running all night, and this time it was perfectly fine.

Ugh.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Don't bother, the issues are with the drivers themselves, as the graphical glitching returns even with the older Radeon Settings. Just use 16.12.2 as is, and if you get screen glitching due to memory speeds changing, you either can run 1 monitor on 16.12.x, or roll back to 16.11.5.

I'm currently sticking to using 16.12.2 on one monitor mostly to get used to working with Wattman. Personally, I'd prefer an option to use OverDrive, or get some working TRIXX/Afterburner, because not being able to control voltages is annoying. I'd be perfectly happy if they kept Wattman to 4xx.

Good thing I found my old GT240 card, otherwise I'd have to use a GTX285, and have even more heat and power consumption.

3. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Ok guys, so can you set a maximum 2D state in this driver yet? Because I still use MSI AB to force half memory clocks when in 2D. I don't understand why my GPU memory needs to be clocking 1250mhz for 2 monitors with nothing going on, and it bugs me.

4. Jouven

Jouven Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC
    If anyone wants memory OC on HBM, on AB use unofficial overclocking mode "with powerplay support".

No issues here, they fixed power efficiency going off at times on 16.11.4 (I went from that version to the current one).

About relive recording: I tested it on mgs5 to compare how fares against OBS cpu (x264) and it's "meh".
    Settings: 1080p downscaled to 720p at 60FPS @ 3500kbits (on both OBS and relive)
    Relive requires like twice x264's bandwidth to look the same and movement footage looks worse. Both OBS and relive stay on 60FPS barely all the time. I guess it can be used for streaming on cpu constrained situations and with a good upload (about 7-8mbits or higher) or for recording (getting bigger files).

5. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT
    anyone else experience the issue with Relive that regular ping 10 goes up to 1300 every 10 seconds on wifi? After closing the "radeon settings" from task manager, everything is fine.

6. nilo

nilo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SUPRIM X
    Solved with 16.11.2

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Does this happen if you stream? That sounds like a bad wifi driver, or you need to disable the beacon interval for your WiFi.

8. herpaderpa

herpaderpa Member

GPU:
    AMD
    https://community.amd.com/thread/209327

9. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT
    Happened even when i didn't do anything. Tried different drivers, no help. "16.12.2 Hotfix" did not fix it for me.
    Herpaderpa link helped me out. Deleting bearer folder helps.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Hi guys, and Merry Christmas! :)

I did some more experimentation this morning, and found out some interesting things. (Current setup is R9 390 on 16.12.2 full package with GT240 341.01 running 2nd monitor)

1) Using Afterburner to change either GPU clocks or Memory clocks, and only these 2 settings, causes screen tearing/glitching. Even on my current one monitor setup. However, changing these settings subsequently in Wattman and applying makes the issue go away. Couldn't test this before as running both monitors on 390 usually made both screens unreadable and/or blank out. Seems to me that maybe the refresh rate is being skewed into non-standard settings, or variable settings?

2) Other settings in AB, like power levels and fan controls work just fine, so using both Wattman AND AB to set up my overclocks work well together, as long as all clock related changes are done in Wattman ONLY. Keep voltages and fan controls in Wattman on Auto, and use AB to configure them, or even use their software fan profile. This gives us the ability to control our voltages, which Wattman currently does not offer.

3) Haven't had any problems either yesterday or today in regards to memory clock dropping to 150 and locking, and I gamed for several hours.

4) Also figured out some graphical glitching in DA:I was being caused by my CPU overclock, and giving the 4.0GHz a bump up to 1.34v seems to be working well from 1.33. *Bonus!

So I guess I managed to pwn the 16.12.x bugs with R9 devices and overclocking thus far, and if using this method, it seems I can keep things stable even when both monitors are on the one card. Whether the 150 clock lock returns is yet unknown.

Going to copy this post to other thread as well to make it easier to find.

11. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    With my MSI R9 390, I can touch just about every setting in AB without issue except memory clocks. It says the memory is higher, and the screen looks fine at first, but it sometime create visual glitches in games and my PC almost always hangs up after leaving a game. The higher the memory overclock, the more likely it is to bug out.

I've been able to change everything else just fine. BUT, I can't change anything in Wattman. I tried WattMan before installing AB, manual settings didn't work. I tried it after installing AB (just to see), same. For some reason WattMan doesn't work with my MSI 390.

So I can avoid some of the bugs I've encountered in 16.12.2 by not touching my memory clocks, tho I can't avoid all of them (such as the screen tearing for my 144hz monitor when closing/opening monitor or leaving a VSR game).

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The funny part is that the drivers could be using the wrong hardware profile for controlling the R9 GCN 1.1 cards, and be a simple fix by using the correct profile. This would explain why some series are just fine, and others b0rken.

I wonder if there will be any firmware vBIOS updates coming out for some cards come January?

13. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    Previously the top of my screen would only glitch/flicker if:
    - I was overclocking the memory
    - I was running a game through VSR

But I found a game where neither of those thing is true and it still happens. I was playing Rocksmith and in some screens, the flicker at the top would show itself. I was wondering if maybe Rocksmith wasn't running at 144hz and this was the cause of the flicker (maybe it forced 60hz and then the flicker happened since it seems to often be triggered by switching between refresh rates), but running a FPS overlay indicated a solid 144.

So for some reason, with no overclock whatsoever (rocksmith doesnt need any) and no apparent conflict in resolution or refresh rate, Rocksmith still has the flicker at the top of the screen.
    Based on what I've seen with Watch Dogs 2 and now Rocksmith, it seems that when in-game, the flicker typically appears over 2D elements. In both WD2 and Rocksmith, when the screen had 3D elements it worked fine. But when the screen was purely 2D, the flicker would show up.

Edit:
    Alt-tabbed out of Grim Dawn (game). Open Firefox. Start a google search - bang, black screen. Hadn't had one with 16.12.2 yet, but many with 16.12.1.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  14. Nymphie

Nymphie Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290 DCU2
    The flickering i had in 16.12.1 when i turn off my monitor (Asus MG279Q with DisplayPort) and turn it on again is still present in 16.12.2. I also have a monitor connected via DVI. The only fix is to reboot.

15. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I use AB with the 16.12.2 with core and memory overclocked. In Rocket League I get screen flickering/glitching I think because of using VSR like you said. It's not happening during a match anymore after going down from 3200x1800 to 2560x1440. It gets pretty crazy in the menu sometimes though.

16. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I can change everything in wattman except for voltages, which AB does allow me to do. In fact, AB does an even better job than before with extra voltage for gpu.
    But these drivers are unstable for my card, I crash in certain games if I leave them on for too long, say like 2 hours. I've tried to reproduce it with older drivers but those are stable.
    So while the relive drivers do seem to do a good job with even higher fps and scores, it's also unstable on my card reducing any overclocking effect I used prior.

I will wait for newer drivers since these 16.12.2 are most likely the same as 16.12.1 with an added fix for something I probably don't even play or use.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  18. armsdev

armsdev Guest

Hello guys! I've seen on reddit a post with Legacy drivers for old graphics, the non gcn ones. Could someone link me to the latest non official drivers for HD 5570? Please.

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ive given up on Relive and my 290x.
    I need borderless freesync, and gonna give in and buy a reference RX 480 8gb, put my AIO on it and give my 290x to my step son.

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    But why a reference model? Ugh.

Did some more testing and watching performance graphs, I found memory clocks fluctuating between full and 150 consistently, which would cause all those screen glitch lines. Using the single screen seems to not be bothered by it much. However, if the fluctuations got quicker, I can see this causing the memory clocks locking down, or system lockups, both of which have happened in the past.

So those with an affected card is basically gaming with a live grenade waiting to go off. This needs to get fixed, as it affects a decent amount of the user base. If we get another update where minor 4xx issues get fixed and this is ignored again, well you get where I'm going. At least acknowledge the issue as "Known" so we can expect something done about it.