AMD Crimson and MSI afterburner

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rogue221979, Nov 28, 2015.

1. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Goodbye sir :p
    Can't imagine the absolute horror you've been through... glad to see some of you survived ;)

2. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Yep, horror, that is it! :p :D No, I just see no reason to bother with 3rd party software when the Overdrive Utility does what I need it to do and without major issues. (The power limit slider does have issues though because cnet.exe crashes on shutdown and does not save the settings. That may be my videocard doing it though.)

Basically, I had enough issue with AB that I decided it just was not worth messing with anymore. I can use GPUz if I need monitoring though and it creates a log file. In fact, I used that just to make sure everything was ok. I also set the overdrive to 85C and 70% fan but, I have a Fractal Design Define r3 case so the noise is really minimal. (Do not notice anything until after I am out of the game.)

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    AB does more than allow for overclocking. If you need limited overclocking functionality, OverDrive should suffice.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Don't think that I'm forcing you to deal with it. Heck, some users magically manage to sound that way that they are doing me huge favor by using an application free of charge. ;)

5. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    That is true. :) Besides, my R9 290 unlocked to a 290x really can only do limited overclocking anyways. 1075 at best on the core but, usually 1050 is the most stable spot. Memory is at 1300 because beyond that, I get the black screen of death.

6. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Nah, I just wanted to voice that I do have issues with Afterburner and decided for me, it just not worth the hassle. (Especially since you seem to sound like you do not want to work with AMD on these issues.) I did say thank you for the work and also, from what I understand, don't you work with and get paid by MSI for your work? After all, isn't that way you stopped bothering with Rivatuner? (Could be remembering it wrong though.)

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

If I were doing just the things I'm paid for, AB forum sections would be empty, AB would be locked to MSI cards only and new versions wouldn't receive any new features besides new MSI cards support or besides the functionality requested by company. And such "nice" comments from XFX, Sapphire and the rest third-party cards owners often makes me think that doing all those things besides the work really just not worth the hassle.
    And no, I'm not sounding like I "just don't want to work with AMD on these issues" that's your fantasy. Try to reread the thread slowly a few times.

8. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Well, I just removed and reinstalled the Crimson drivers on my work PC. (The panel selection on the right click menu was missing after I swapped video cards.) After that, the fan control was set to on instead of Auto and the settings would not save because cnet.exe would crash on shutdown. I have removed them for now until the fix is released but, I highly doubt the cards are burning up unless someone is disabling the overheat protection or overclocking.

No afterburner on that machine but, I figured giving this information out could help someone. Enjoy.

9. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    you cant disable them afaik, they are hardwired into the bios..

10. fixel

fixel Member

GPU:
    Fury X
    I'm pretty sure that's all it needs. Everything is working great for me, I love AB, thanks for all your hard work!

11. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX

The issue was with crimson driver and not AB. I had AB uninstalled before I install the new AMD driver, like I always do and even in there it had my fan set to 20% in manual.

The crimson driver sets the fan to manual control. You can even see that in the Thread for crimson release. AMD is said to release a hotfix to fix the issue. Which you even mention in your later post.

I think your original post is being a bit harsh. No offense.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  12. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Something weird just happened. I didn't enable overdrive, but somehow crimson did mess the clock speeds of my first card up. I use afterburner to force constant core clocks, because my core clocks will fluctuate otherwise (happens only with FreeSync enabled). I have set a 2D and 3D profile, because i only want maximum core clocks while gaming. Somehow the core clock of my first card was set 12mhz higher than normal. If i change the core clock of the first card to 1050 mhz, the card somehow start to run at 1062 mhz. If i set the speed at 1040mhz, it only adds 5mhz. Setting it to 1045 adds 7 mhz. Removing afterburner (including all the profiles) didn't do anything. I could only fix this by removing crimson with DDU and then install it again.