AMD Could take Back 30% of the Processor Market

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Good times for AMD. Intel is under a lot of scrutinies lately, scandals with their top-tier staff, issues with 14nm production, delays at 10nm and vulnerabilities are only a few of them. Meanwhile...

AMD Could take Back 30% of the Processor Market

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That would truly be something. I'm really holding out for RyZen 2 to change out my 6900k.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Great news, keep it up AMD.

You don't need an upgrade unless its work related.

4. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    It's a good thing, it's competition. I don't think the latest Intel CPUs would have been priced half-way decently if it hadn't been for AMD's "come back" with Ryzen (first gen; and then more so with 2nd gen). I mean, Intel CPU prices are still too much (in my opinion) but it's currently lower than it would have been otherwise. I've been using Intel CPUs since... practically forever (well except back during the AMD Athlon days, when I did buy an Athlon 64). But last year in October I got my Ryzen 5 1600, a B350 Mobo and 16GB of RAM for around $800 (Canadian).

During that same month, I checked for a similar build with an Intel CPU (and another Mobo, with different RAM) and it would have pumped up the price by $200 (with taxes), "just because Intel". No thanks. There was no way I could pass up on a 6 Core CPU with 12 Threads even at its original price back one year ago. Right now it's even better for the first generation Ryzen models (which still of course perform very well). In terms of technology / performance offered for the price right now Intel really doesn't have much to give (except with their recent new chips, for which prices have finally been reduced to 'less insane' levels; but it's still too high anyway).

So, go AMD! And bring back some competition on the CPU market.

5. anders190

anders190 Member

GPU:
    1080Ti Phoenix GS
    I'm looking for a new CPU for one of my systems. The old trusty 2700K isn't that nice to use after all the bad Intel fixes this year. It will either be 2700X or a Zen 2 instead. I don't see Intel's offerings as good enough with all of their issues lately. Maybe in 2020.

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It is and I like to pass on my hand me downs to the family :)

7. magiQx

magiQx Active Member

GPU:
    vega 64
    Same here. Difference is, i have the 2600k since it came out. Im in for a new build and also looking at the 2700x for a complete amd build, that ill keep for the next 7-8years or so, like my old 2600k. What are the chances that prices will go down in the next few weeks or so?

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Depends on Intel 9000 series release. If its priced right, AMD might lower price to keep consumers interested in Ryzen 2.
    Otherwise, price only goes down as Zen2 near its release to clear Zen1 stocks.

9. Photik

Photik Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 280 3Gb OC
    Also the same. I dont expect prices to go down until a couple of months before release, unless something happens over the Black Friday sales.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm on the "waiting for Zen 2" train as well. Assuming either DDR4 prices stop being triple or if it uses DDR5 in which case it's normal to be really gouged for a new generation.

I just hope whatever AMD's next high-end chipset is called will support more than 6 SATA ports. That's a joke.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    After reading about the potential prices for the Intel 9000 series CPUs I don't see why not.

12. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    I'm happy that AMD finally ended downward spiral and is clawing back!

13. travian

travian Member

GPU:
    gt 240
    I just logged in to say that.

14. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Seems that Lisa Su's decision to stop competing in the high-end market for a few years and prepare a real comeback behind the scenes was the right thing to do and is paying off. Very good. If they success, maybe they should consider the same move in the graphics card market too? At the moment Nvidia is too strong and they simply don't have anything to compete with in the high end.

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    7nm Navi next year should do the trick, hopefully.

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Great news, we need AMD more than ever, in both GPU and CPU departments.

NVIDIA competing with itself and trolling consumers with the prices is really lame, sames goes for Intel and their recent vulnerabilities.

carnivore likes this.
  17. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I would like to think thats the case since Navi is a new architecture. Also moving to 7nm and being stuck to a max of 4096 SP / 64 CU's that is inherent to the uArch would have sucked since you have so much more you can pack into the chip at 7nm. I also have high hopes for Navi.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It really is the perform storm for Intel - it seems that everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. AMD couldn't have chosen a better time to mount a recovery.

It's not just good timing of course - AMD had a hand in this as well. They've forced Intel to produce larger chips (from 4-core to 6/8-core for consumers, and from 10-core to 18-core for HEDT), which impacts their yields because of their monolithic approach. My guess is that if they were still limiting consumers to quad cores then their current shortage problem wouldn't exist (or at least it wouldn't be as severe).

I think there's a good reason why Intel is staying silent about their upcoming Coffee Lake refresh. With their current shortage problems, releasing a new 8-core chip would be extremely difficult. As expected, they are prioritizing their enterprise customers during this time so I don't expect regular consumers to see much love (if they release it, it will be extremely pricey and/or be extremely limited).

carnivore and Maddness like this.
  19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I hope so, this would be also great for better GPU competition because AMD needs to earn more money.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    But... its my CPU.
    You're not having 30% of it!