AMD could be restructuring once more

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2014.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Seeing as you overclock, your opinion of power efficiency is somewhat hyprocritical. And at that - deeming hardware as being superior BECAUSE of power efficiency is also very subjective. For many, price is the most important. For others, it's the raw performance. I'm assuming you've never dealt with mainframes before because efficiency is hardly a factor depending on what company you're looking at. And like I said, if the drivers are improved well enough, you can involve less transistors, less memory, lower clock rates, and therefore more efficiency (in both a TDP and calculation perspective).

Anyway, Nvidia has only started getting noticeably more efficient starting with their 700 series. I think I recall their 600 series also being more efficient but not enough to put AMD at a serious disadvantage.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Power efficiency is obviously a very good addition when overclocking. A 5ghz 2600k would take up around 165w, while the 9590 burns 220. Have a wild guess which one is easier to keep cool. At 4.9 ghz (max I could ever achieve, mind you with a pretty ridiculous voltage) I can keep my 2600k safely cooled by a titan fenrir, topping out at around 85 degrees. Try to slap the same amount of cooling power on the 9590.

Yeah great idea, so intel and nvidia can get their prices to skyrocket. Just because YOU want a low-end pc doesn't mean everyone else wants a low-end pc.

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Actually, the 290x consume around 20W more of a 780TI if we take guru review, more or less following the review ( it depend so much of the game used ) .. ( ofc we speak retail, it change if you go for a little overclocked one with higher TDP ( for both ).

Maxwell is really the first efficiency oriented architecture, Nvidia have start a little bit with Kepler i aggree, but nothing magic.

But thats a bit offtopic anyway.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Called it! haha

6. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Exactly. I wouldn't buy a lower end Nvidia card because the top end Nvidia card is faster than the top end AMD. I bought my 280X because it was faster and cheaper than the closest Nvidia equivalent in my budget.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    i laugh a lot reading everyone:

-hey, AMD is not dead it's just a restructuration, like a lot of company they will just fire some poor not essential guy and move the gorgeous blonde at the entrance to comptability... and it will be ok for now, lol

-and about the "if AMD die i will never ever buy an NVidia (that can stole your money and kill your dog) and left the PC"... hmmm.... Have you still a 3dfx as main 3d graphic on your main PC (on W95 of course)?

all of that to said that every info about AMD/NVidia finish alway the same red Vs green.

8. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    1. My overclocking doesn't affect my judgement on what OTHER cards are more efficient (power efficiency being objective). My computer is not an efficient beast and I don't care. Also, less power = less cooling required. If we look at the 290x DirectCU II OC vs 780 Ti DirectCU II OC, the 780 ti consumes 20 watts less, is 7C cooler at load, gets higher overclocks and outperforms the 290x (at least in Firestrike, Tomb Raider, Medal of Honor, Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light, Crysis 3 and 3dmark 11 - all from the guru3d reviews)

2. What I said is less subjective than your "numbers" which were never heard from again. Power efficiency plays a huge role in the overall quality of a gaming graphics card

3. Software/driver optimization doesn't prove a point on HARDWARE superiority

4. That's basically what I said (quote: "especially with the last two generations"). I could have said only in the last two if it makes you happy.

Let's remember that this isn't a "my brand is better than yours" argument. The objective truth is that Nvidia's hardware (at least now) is superior in most aspects while AMD has always been way cheaper and the better option for multiple displays because of more VRAM. They both have their strong points hence why AMD is still around to this day. Many of my friends have AMD because I've recommended it to them as they're not insane in the membrane like I am about performance.

Nobody's the enemy here, we're all PC enthusiasts having interesting conversations about the hardware we love.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You misinterpreted me: you were stating the importance of efficiency - my point was that efficiency can't be that high of a priority if you overclock. That being said, and the fact you admitted your computer isn't efficient, why do you care about what you end up with? 20W isn't very significant once you look into overclocking. And for the record, I never said the 290X is better. And yes, I'm aware there's the argument that a more efficient processor has more overclocking headroom, but that doesn't always hold true. I've had very efficient GPUs (both brands) that would artifact after a 50MHz overclock with a temperature below 70C.

I really don't understand why I need to prove it since for many of us this is common knowledge, but here you go:
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290X-vs-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti
    Keep in mind - I'm referring explicitly to hardware stats, as that is what my point is in regards to. The only HARDWARE stats where the 780Ti scores higher are memory frequency and texture mapping units. I never said anything about the 290X's scores. I brought up that AMD generally has better hardware; not benchmarks. I argued that AMD would do better in benchmarks if they had the driver support nvidia offers. In other words, nvidia can get away with "lesser" hardware BECAUSE their drivers are superior.

I know... I never said it did.

Basically isn't the same thing as actually. You made an ambiguous generalization.

I agree. I'm not stating one brand is better than the other. The newest GPU I bought was nvidia and I'm very happy with it. My main system is AMD, also very happy with it (though the linux experience could be better). There are things I like about both brands and things I hate about both brands.

As for CPUs, the only thing AMD has going for them is price vs performance.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    LOL. One more word from me and i think they might of sent the Lynch mob around. Amazing how defensive people get.....myself included...lol.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

11. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I mostly agree, however clock speed can't be compared all that well since gpuboss doesn't account for boost clock and also we've had Ghz gpus for a while but it's not a factor in actual performance compared to architecture

They should also recheck their performance stats because a 290x does not get 25101.5 in 3dmark 11 lmao but that's on their end

Sorry then english isn't my first language like many on this site :p