AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    What are you talking about? What does a what if hypothetical like that have anything to do with what we are talking about?

Let's stick with facts. Zen 3 is AM4.

AMD’s Lisa Su Confirms Zen 3 Coming in 2020
    https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-coming-in-2020-talks-challenges-in-notebooks
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15344/amd-at-ces-2020-qa-with-dr-lisa-su

Lisa Su: You should expect that we’re going to be very aggressive with the CPU roadmap. We think Zen 2 is the best CPU core out there today, and we’re very proud of it. We’ve completed the family and Zen 3 is doing really well, we’re very pleased about it and you’ll hear more about it in 2020. Rather than ask me the question three times Ian [laughs], let me clear: you will see Zen 3 in 2020!

But, by all means, keep trying to say the opposite of facts here and I notice you are saying the same thing on the Hardware Unboxed video comments section saying AMD never said Zen 3 was coming in 2020. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    olymind1 likes this.
  2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    3900X + X570 Asus Hero VIII
    = I'M ALRIGHT JACK
    :p

3. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Lucky you.

[​IMG]

geogan likes this.
  4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    So you are saying Intel is greedy?

5. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Of course they are lol

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    AMD mostly pointed at BIOS ROM room and if that's the only limitation then hardware unboxed will likely end up on the wrong side of this topic. I would be very surprised if the AGESA in their BIOS is chipset specific and if its not its a pretty simple port to update microcode for the new CPU's on the older boards. Some of us did stuff like that ourselves back in the AM3 days using tools like UEFItool etc.

I should also note I have seen in years past motherboard vendors get around things like this by offering the BIOS as beta only.

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You missed the entire point. There are AMD cpus on socket AM4 in 2020 already prior to Zen3 being out. That was the entire point of everyone arguing with you that you don't seem to understand. Thats why I used a hypothetical thinking that would help clear it up but obviously it did not. Already today AMD has met there obligation of AM4 support even prior to Zen3 being out.

8. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Let's not forget that "supporting" also doesn't mean "every product". Zen 2 will still be used on a theoretical 4400G and 4200G processor, so from that perspective some ryzen 4000 might be supported on older boards.

But, again, people should keep their expectations on check - don't commit to products that weren't released yet.

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I just read an article on bios problems, mainly to do with UEFI UI size in mbs and why some boards can't handle the bios size of upgrading to a newer cpu.

My mobo has 2 x 128Mbit or 2 x 16mb flash chips and apparently you can "SLI" the dual bios into one 256Mbit(32mb) chip. Here is some of the article>

"The simple way to support all the processors is to increase the size of the BIOS chip, by moving from 128 Mb to 256 Mb. At least two vendors told us that the price of these larger chips is more than double the 128 Mb chips. Not only this, but they have so many 128 Mb chips in stock already (or purchase agreements), it would not be economically feasible to switch and dump. One company, Biostar, said that they were implementing motherboards with two BIOS chips in a striped configuration, giving an effective capacity of 256 Mb, in order to solve this issue".

Never seen or known that you could potentially run a dual bios as one chip. The reason i say all this is because some are using bios chip size as a reason as to why Zen3 won't work on 3xx/4xx mobos.

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Zen is practically a system on chip , the chipset is only really needed for initialization(if that) , plus they said exactly the same thing about a320 and ryzen 3000

The people to ask are the board vendors, not amd PR.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    What I find interesting about the video; AMD's official response for support is bios chip size. Then the message from AMD is that despite some X470 boards possessing a 32MB bios chip the necessary code is still not going to be provided. We also know that 1st gen Ryzens are not supported on X570...why? Have not found any information on that. Given these sets of information, only things can come up with is that there is enough of a change in how the X570 chipset communicates with the cpu which X370 and X470 is not capable of doing reliably. The other item would be that the restriction is artificially put in place. According to the video AMD also tried to not offer Ryzen2 support on X300 series chipsets but consumer reaction caused them the eventually release support. Let us see what time will reveal.

12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    So you are laughing out loud about the fact that you support and champion a greedy company ?
    Trolling have reached a whole new level.

13. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    You have to buy something. Its either Intel or AMD. I don't go around saying Intel is a saint or amazing. I also don't ignore facts like the people here are. Like I've said many times my whole position has been both Intel/amd ARE THE SAME. Its the toxic AMD fanboy's hypocrisy who think they are white knights that I try to dispel. Like the guy above, who was trying to say AMD never said something they literally said.

olymind1 likes this.
  14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It's like a school freakin play ground here these days.

I'm getting pretty sick of the petty BS to do with fanboyism spoiling nearly every thread these days.

Why do i keep seeing these stupid posts about who cares about Intel or AMD or AMD vs nVidia.

I think the mods should just start banning more often, especially to people whom just keep trolling and trying to start arguments constantly.

carnivore, olymind1 and JamesSneed like this.
  15. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Upgrading CPU's to the next generation doesn't make sense from a value perspective. It will only be worth it if you upgrade to the next-next generation (ie Zen 1 to Zen 2 - Zen 1+ being the intermediate generation).

16. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    You're way to invested in this emotionally and from a time spent perspective. I'll admit to making comments against Intel, but I do the same for AMD too when I feel they're taking the wrong path. You find this enthralling though, and I think that's a little off-balance. You've got to have close to 50 or more comments on this one article by now. It's getting a little nut-jobby. Maybe unplug for a bit and use that sweet PC you have to play some games. This ain't healthy.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I wouldn't call either Nvidia or AMD greedy. They're both in it to make money.

18. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Okay captain. I'll take a break.

[​IMG]

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Saw this reddit thread about the issue (https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gfws07/an_excellent_formulation_of_thoughts_on_am4/) and I have to agree. AMD needs to find a way to enable support on older boards, even if it means a different BIOS for every CPU. This of course would be a hassle for everyone, but that's the cost of AM4 compatibility - AMD's gone as far as provide bootkits for BIOS updates in the past and they need to go the extra mile now as well. This is especially after the much-delayed B550 chipset - many people got the B450 instead assuming that it would be compatible with future CPUs.

I'll give AMD a few days to respond. Hopefully they'll do the right thing.

20. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I totally agree with you and the person that posted that thread.