AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    There's really no need for comments like this...

Silva likes this.
  2. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    why not?
    it's funny and also true

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because fanboys are stupid regardless what side they're own, so just be agnostic to all vendors and call them out when they have real issues.

Venix likes this.
  4. asder

asder Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    I'm sorry but I don't get it. Why people claiming AMD motherboards "hold" more generations than intel. Even the article chart disproves it. Let's say you bought the most balls to the walls X370 motherboard. You got one gen (1000) another gen (more like half) (2000). 3rd gen you're out. X470 (seems) the same. And those are the high end chipsets.

EDIT: yeah they are on the same physical socket, what gives ?

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Intel boards support one release and its refresh.

AMD supported Zen and its refresh and Zen 2.
    Zen 3 could be supported at vendor discretion on old boards but AMD are not putting themselves into the position of saying "we support this" because many boards frankly won't be up to the task of running the Ryzen 4000 series. As it stands many boards can barely run the Ryzen 3000 series without issue.

6. asder

asder Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    I don't see how it differs from intel. Did x370/b350 supported more than a 1000series and it's refresh ?

7. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    "can barely run Ryzen 3000 series without issues"???
    lol , barely????
    just because not all B350/B450 boards have a sofisticated VRM to run the top tier of the 3000 series or overclock nicely, doesn't mean they barely run it.
    don't include "series" and you may be right.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Mesab67 likes this.
  8. asder

asder Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    So it's a matter of chances? With intel you get 2 cycles. WIth AMD you get the same, but there is a small chance the wheel of fortune of your motherboard vendor lands on your motherboard model.
    Seems like a strong difference to me :p.

@apoklyps3 is there any B350 board that supports a 3rd gen cpu ?

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I think most people got agonized with the Coffee lake release, motherboard manufacturers offered support on Z270, once the BIOSes came out, Intel called back the motherboard manufacturers and forced them to remove support. So here we have a platform that can run the proc fine, however, Intel did force users to purchase Z390. There have been similar developments in the past.

The reality though is that these Boombastic viral posts have little relevance. A CPU is one of the least upgraded components of a PC. You buy a new proc what, every 4 to 5 years? So, in the end, you'll end up with a new motherboard and memory regardless. Choose whatever you want, Intel, AMD .. it's all good and your choice of preference, but the heated overblown debates here stuck on the same repetitive argument .. christ almighty.

Ricardo, H83, Turanis and 2 others like this.
  10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communi...4-uefi-bios-agesa-Übersicht-07-05-20.1228903/

There, that link will show which boards actually have support the the which Ryzen CPUs. Plus 3rd gen Ryzen is not released yet. 1000 series First gen; 2000 series first gen refresh: Ryzen+; 3000 series second gen.

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    lol there should be a global algorithm to throw kids together on the webs so they make their noise in their sweet corner until they grow up, like that new cod supposedly does with cheaters in their servers

I cant deny I'm a bit upset about this news but thats it really, we have no details yet, some makers may decide to offer bios updates with caveats as usual, but who knows if 4000 series is even worth the upgrade over 3000 at this point

what this does is open the possibility of considering intel's offer this time around, since I would have to get a new board either way, if it comes down to that, so I hope AMD's strategy here won't backfire because of this, they really need to gain more marketshare

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TLDR all the thread.. just some facts:

- almost (all?) x370 and b350 MBs received BIOS updates to run Ryzen 3000 series based on zen2, some still are stucked with AGESA ComboPi 1.0.0.3xx, others are receiving in these days the last version (1.0.0.5), even some A320...
    - a lot of A320 are now able tu run Ryzen 3000 series too (some limitation apply due lower tier VRMs, not a big issue usually if you do not overclock and have a decent airflow in the case)
    - No-one promised to run over Zen2 on older platforms.
    - Never seen a long-term support like this.
    - Starting with Agesa 1.0.0.4B Zen1 should run on x570 MB too.. (although a lot of people didn't have any issue running the first generation CPUs on older microcode versions)
    - They need to sell the next chipset motherboards, otherwise no-one will buy them if they will be the last using AM4 socket (byw some B550 motherboards may be a really nice upgrade from 3xx and B450 series.. and they should come almost all without that creepy tiny noisy fragile fan).

HandR and Turanis like this.
  13. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I am one of those rocking a 1st gen Ryzen on a b450 board. My reaction to this news is neutral, I cannot be annoyed knowing MSI did a very good job at supporting all CPUs (they did drop support for excavator when 3rd gen Ryzen dropped which no one cares about) and if 4000 series won't be supported I can still get a 3rd gen CPU for lower price but at this point even Ryzen 1700@3,8Ghz is not a limiting factor in the tasks I do or gaming at 4K.

14. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    What really suck about all of this spamming, is that real questions get lost.
    Is damaging to the forum health.

15. Mesab67

Mesab67 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    For fs @jwb1 - stick to the 'script' !! lol

16. vazup

vazup Master Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    I wonder what is going to happen with the X570 Aorus Master as it apparently has a 16mb bios chip.

Turanis likes this.
  17. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yep,remember how difficult was for Mb's with 16mb Bios to have support fot Ryzen 3000 series.
    For Ryzen 4000 series could be more difficult and AIB's,maybe,will not want to support old chipsets.Because they want to sell new and fresh motherboards.

18. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    I very much agree with this, it's the same stuff i kept repeating at AMD boyos when they were bit**ing about intel bad practices, so how is it, it works for AMD but not for intel? It's either both or none, i think people should start being coherent and drop all the bias they have for brands.

19. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I don't think there will be an hardware difference that will justify Zen 3 not to run on 300/400 series motherboards. I bought B450 in August because AMD wouldn't release B550 and was hoping to jump Zen 2 for an upgrade.
    This is very disappointing if true, I hope motherboard vendors update their BIOS to run the latest chips as long as the pin count don't change. I can live without PCIe 4.0 and any other new feature B550 might bring.

olymind1 likes this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Because comments like that make you look like a child.