AMD confirms Raven Ridge Vega 11 and halts production Vega Reference Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good stuff, personally waiting on Zen+ news my potential next upgrade.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I doubt there will ever be a Vega 11 enabled APU this generation, its one extra CU for yields and possible defects.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Personally I don't care about CPU because DDR jeeps getting more expensive and I can hold on to my 2500k for a little wile. Plus, I need a new GPU...I can't wait for Vega mainstream but that's probably months away.

5. easytomy

easytomy Active Member

GPU:
    AMD
    As do I... but I doubt we'll see any news this year.

6. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Zen+ is probably already coming to CES in January...Ryzen prices being slashed by a hefty margin for a while could be interpreted as a hint Zen+ is coming very soon.

Apparently someone from AMD told OC.uk that AMD are already preparing for a launch or something...so PCGH.de turned that into Pinnacle Ridge at CES.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Personally wouldn't wait for a amd gpu, the cost of them is so inflaited right now it just isn't worth it unless you don't mind the cost. And bitcoin just keeps going up so I doubt this will change sadly.

It is totally horrible buying a pc right now, minus the case and fans almost everything has some form of price increase due to the demand coming from mining.

If rumours be true it is basically zen, with a small bump on clocks from my understanding, which to be fair was the biggest thing zen needed, if they can get 4.5ghz out of it I reckon it would do far better vs intel in many applications that prefer the higher clocks

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    In it's basic form yes, however it is a manufacturing process shrink after all. AMD did say that Zen was their worst case scenario, due to that Zen+ should clock better, probably consume less power, as a result perhaps stay cooler? Well that's speculation on my part, however as you said IF it can reach 4.5 (or hell, 4.3 even) that will be an instant sale for me, as Zen has better PPC compared to Intel, which potentially may get only better on 12nm.

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I doubt Zen+ will be much of an improvement since we are talking a tweaked version of the same process. This coming from a Ryzen 1800x owner so no bias. Speaking of decided to go back to stock clocks and play with undervolting. My 1800x can undervolt like crazy, this thing is running so cool now.

10. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    with a little more clock speed these things will fly i can only get 3.9ghz out of 1600 but it starts to take stupid amounts of voltage to do so even if the can increase the average clock/overclock by another 300-400 mhz it give them a massive boost

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I agree with the general consensus that the Zen+ will most likely be a small speed bump of up to 10%, with roughly the same power consumption.
    Should be able to hit the 4-4.2GHz no problem though, will be just costly in Watts to get to 4.3-4.5.
    At that speed, and seeing the latest roadmap from Intel, AMD should be sweet for a good year or so.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    APU Horror stories incoming:

PLX HELP!
    I have bought AM4 APU and paired it with the best AM4 motherboard, and now I can't even connect it to my monitor.
    Because the damn motherboard has no video out (DP/HDMI)!!!

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't suspect Zen+ will be a major improvement either. I expect it will improve latency (likely by tweaking the functionality of the caches and infinity-fabric, since there is a lot of lost time there) and update the fabrication process so clock speeds aren't so limited. Ryzen is otherwise plenty good enough as it is.

Out of curiosity, what is the voltage of your 1800X?

Uh... "the best" is not only subjective, but not useful information. But what exactly is it that you need help with? You already answered your question - you got the wrong motherboard.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Is silly when the most expensive, most feature packed boards cheap out by not providing video out, is all.

Sometimes down the road when Muon Lake and Zen4+ are released, I might wanna stick APU in my ole board and use it as whatevah...
    It might sound silly to some, but the lack of integrated GPU is one the reasons I decided against going Ryzen. I love fail-safe redundancy and low-power.
    And I cant remember the number of times my Intel HD saved me from borked video driver installation.

Loophole35 likes this.
  15. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    It says right there on the specsheet what the board contains... so, yeah, no idea why you would even buy it if it didn't have what you needed.

By "I can't remember the number of times", do you mean "it never happened, so it's hard to remember"? You must have something seriously borked with your system if you have bad driver installs that make you have to swap in a different videocard. Like, seriously, when has this happened, ever?

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    But I did not have to physically swap anything. Another GPU is already sitting in my rig for fail-safe purposes and for debugging.

Borked video driver installation? HAHA is that even a serious question.
    Integrated graphics saving me once(!) from having to reinstall OS, means its worth having it.

17. LiviuTM

LiviuTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB
  18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not really, because nobody buys high-end desktop/gaming boards with the intent of using integrated graphics, let alone from one packaged with a low-end APU. It doesn't seem like you did your research, for either the motherboard or the APU. This isn't the motherboard manufacturer's fault.
    I totally get wanting a fail-safe, but, the Bristol Ridge APUs aren't low-power (relatively speaking), and you're better off using a cheap discrete GPU for failsafe testing. I personally have an Nvidia 8400 GS that I use for such things.
    Out of curiosity: What exactly are you doing to your drivers to cause numerous scenarios where you need to depend on the Intel graphics? I've done some unusual configurations, such as AMD graphics with Nvidia PhysX, transferring a Windows install to a completely different set of hardware (including motherboard and CPU), and modified GPU BIOSes with pre-set overclocks. And yet, I have never needed to depend on the integrated graphics to get me back on my feet.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    OK I am exagerating slightly ;)
    I clearly remember using Intel HD two times to get out of borked video driver installation.
    And once I used DDU, ended up with the even bigger mess, and again saved by IGP.

20. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Vega 11 is replacement for Polaris , so not high end Vega 56,64 but RX570,580...
    And for Zen they probably tweaked process to allow higher clocks hence 12nm nomenclature.