AMD claims that "Big Navi" will be their "HALO product", released in September?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Woohoo. Bring it AMD. Entry to enthusiast levels. So much to look forward to later this year.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats how it should be. Desktop graphics first then mobile and consoles.

EspHack, Netherwind and Maddness like this.
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yep, bring on the beast.

Undying likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah.....
    [​IMG]

screwtech02 likes this.
  6. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    IF AMD fails (again!) to deliver in the enthusiast range...we are doomed.
    Nvidia will sell rtx 3080ti at >>>2000 USD while amd will resume the "wait for our next product. It will be great!" game...

G13Homi, mohiuddin and Brasky like this.
  7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I have a feeling AMD will make good in the enthusiast level, otherwise the fallout will be embarrassing. Also no way the 3080Ti can sell for that, not the way the world's economy's are going and it likely to get worse in the coming month's.

Embra, OnnA and Fox2232 like this.
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Taking AMD video card claims seriously in 2k20 KEKW

fantaskarsef and Ricardo like this.
  9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Well after the success of Ryzen, and with Lisa Sue in charge, I'm willing to show a bit of faith.

10. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    AMD had huge success with ryzen only because intel sat on their ass with zero improvements for 5+ years. Nvidia are not like that, so catching up with them is almost impossible.

EspHack and barbacot like this.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Everyone said the same thing about AMD catching up to Intel and look at how things are now. I for one knew every Intel processor from entry to high performance. Now I have absolutely no idea what all there sku's mean. AMD is most certainly on a roll atm.

carnivore likes this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Did he really say APU? On other hand, he did not mention year.

There is no reason to think biggest consumer RDNA2 will not outperform currently strongest 2080Ti. But it is not so reasonable to think it will match nVidia's 3080Ti.
    nVidia can keep their strongest GPU for price I expect them to come. Even their 2nd strongest and likely 3rd.
    And if AMD prices RDNA in same fashion: "Sorry, I am not buying GPU for $1000 or more."

So I would not be disappointed if AMD delivers good performance per $ within 1000 USD range.
    But then there were some things bubbling through dirt which hinted that pert of RDNA2 optimizations have to do with transistor count per different building blocks. Which may mean lower cost => price. That would be really interesting.
    There is no: "catching up to nVidia."
    AMD's RDNA architecture is quite equal to nVidia's. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
    (And go, find yourself GPU related patents from AMD. There are still many which are great and did not make it into RDNA1. And some which describe methods that may apply to desktop RDNA2, but not to console as Sony's/MS's requirements were for direct backwards compatibility. Sony's requirement for compatibility went so far as to disable CUs/ROPs on the fly to match PS4/Plus.)

I have bad feeling that you talk about having top dog GPU for which AMD did not have answer. That's not due to architecture, that's due to cost oriented production. And fact that in given market situation, AMD did not want to pursue that tiny percentage of people who are willing to pay what nVidia asks for 2080Ti.
    nVidia's sales are simply that many times higher. And that makes their target audience in each price category proportionally higher. I do not think nVidia would deliver 2080Ti if they expected sales to be 3 times lower either.

Fact that AMD is delivering bigger product, that's going to cost us more, means that they believe market will accept it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    OnnA and Maddness like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You know thats not true. Nvidia sat on their asses too only pushing the prices up. I didnt see the reason 1080/1080ti users to upgrade their cards to rtx lineup unless they wanted some shiny reflections at half of their fps.

One great competitive generation from amd and things can change.

14. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The GPUs I have now all perform much the same (they're being used in different builds I'm not insane) and I am thirsty for more perf just not at stupid prices. 30% more performance than 1080ti for 700 quid would be ok, I guess. 50% more for £1000 would be good. Not paying daft cash for 2080ti type price/perf.

15. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    IMHO this is not true.
    If there is one thing that Nvidia didn't do is "sitting on their asses".
    They constantly launched new architectures on a regular time schedule and always brought new technologies, some were great and some were flops.
    Yes, Nvidia is a different beast but let's see who talk the talk and does not walk the walk...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yes, bring balance back to the GPU market! At a reasonable price.
    fry.gif

EspHack, OnnA, barbacot and 1 other person like this.
  18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Probably will skip this gen altogether - barely play games nowadays + most of those that I do play are from the 2000s.

DG21 and Pinstripe like this.
  19. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    While NVIDIA are clearly the favorite for the next round, we shouldn't claim their victory yet...
    While they have been on a roll since the Maxwell architecture, they also had their share of problem in the past...
    And for their next gaming GPU, we have zero concrete infos on Ampere.
    Don't forget that, competition wise, no one is safe in the long run, just look at Kodak...

20. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    :salute: