AMD claims that "Big Navi" will be their "HALO product", released in September?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2020.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    That's how I ended up with a 5700 XT, my first team red card (for my own rig) in 14 years. The nvidia option isn't even remotely close. If AMD manages to get silicon into 3080Ti territory, prices for the top flight stuff could finally start returning back to simply being absurd rather than the current you've got to be f****** kidding me! pricing we enjoy now.

-Tj- and jbscotchman like this.
  2. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I have a EVGA 1080 FTW3 i don't play any games that even remotely demand that card ( my system it self is what is slowing it down i have a AMD FX 8350 that is showing its age) i am waiting more on AMD to release the 4000 series and am going to keep my 1080. also i am trying to run a 1440P 144hz monitor with this setup lol.

jbscotchman likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When I moved from nV to ATi, DV was one thing I did not miss at all. I hated it. Then when I had notebook with nVidia graphics, it reminded me how badly I disliked it.
    I could not have been happier with color management ATi/AMD provide[d/s].

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S

5. Dragonstongue

Dragonstongue Member

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3 OC
    Folks that have issues will complain they are having issues, the ones that are not are likely busy using their product and being happy with it.

that is, to state "internet is full of people complaining about AMD drivers" is not attesting to the loads and loads of people over the years that have had numerous (sometimes MASSIVE) issues with Nvidia in similar regard .. example, cards frying themselves when they de-solder, stupid high end card having "space invaders" as a "freebie", toaster level heat from their near to highest end, countless time and time again problems with their supposedly "superior" drivers, melting PEG connectors (yet lambasting AMD for potential can happen)

list goes on and on.. both of them ship and sell hundreds of millions of products per year combined, I would imagine, from a quality AIB (such as Asus, MSI, EVGA etc) this vastly diminishes the problems (as they should be testing properly, before plop in a box then customer has to RMA when this should not be if they were properly tested to begin with)

Anywho... sorry, but for how "pat self on back" Nvidia is.. everything they make should be Bulletproof (same goes for Intel, MSFT, Apple so forth) which it is most certainly is not..they are really fudging great at sweeping problems under the rug, and their "buyers" seem to not bat an eye (look at the 970, less memory USABLE then one paid for, folks freak out..not long after, they buy it anyways....I suppose the sad part of Nv is, if there is a problem, at least for PEOPLE, report said problem, Nv will come up with any number of excuses to downplay it, vs "taking the problem seriously" to make sure the consumer/customer walks away happy.

my .02c .. they both are quite similar driver wise these days, yes Nv seems to have "fancier" features then AMD counterpart (so they can upsell to higher $$$ vs just giving the buyer a "this is for you, thank you" cookie)

Also, with very very rare exception, AMD and Nv, Nv and ATi were neck and neck, period, always trading blows generation after generation.. let's face the truth, the 2 high performance GPU makers in the world, right now, is AMD and Nvidia, simple as that, maybe in the near future Intel will jump into the mix, though I doubt it, last I checked, high tech companies (except for Intel here and there) are not in the business of doing Loss-leader (take loss, just to make a sale)

I personally just want another high performance 256bit memory bus GPU for a reasonable price with reasonable to very solid performance for the $$ spent... this has not happened in many years now, maybe RDNA2 will bring something out in this regard, instead of 128 / 192 bit charging MORE in comparison then "ye old" 256bit were, somethings you cannot do without that full "engine" to help you in the race sort of speak .. would be very nice if them GPU maker folks would pull a mobile style "only uses X cores if the performance is not needed" as it seems, modern GPU tend to be full out power use when under even a moderate load..instead of "spooling up" as the program needs it..example, Diablo 3.. if I left my GPU do its own thing, it would run 99% full clocks memory / and core, if I manually "force clocks" instead I can run the game at 525 core / 632 memory and it plays nigh on the same overall.

-----------

wordwall, cannot much help it these days .. long and short 6+gb memory 1440p high-extreme settings ~130w max (as it self adjusts clocks) 256bit mem bus UNDER $300 CAD .. not no 192bit approaching $400 crud.. many of us are not at all made of $$$ ..funny if you think about it, full console with memory-storage-cpu-gpu-power etc are just a wee bit more then "middle ground CPU or GPU these days... the heck is up with that crud (^.^)

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Waiting for benchmarks of both RDNA2 and Nvidia's next generation, everything else is hype.

sykozis likes this.
  7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Let me predict something positive for this year. No matter which team you like you will be able to buy better cards later this year than now.
    Another positive thing is that raytracing actually seems to take off unlike tesselation and physX.

jbscotchman likes this.
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There are objective issues with the Radeon drivers.

1) No enforceable Vsync modes except the equivalent of Fast. Which means worse frame pacing, and it also means no enforceable Vsync for games whose issues are solved by toggling Vsync. I won't even mention the 1/2 mode you get from Nvidia officially, or the actual settings of their drivers which allows 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 etc.

2) The AMD OpenGL in Windows is horrendous.

3) The DX9-11 driver still has horrible overhead issues in a lot of titles that AMD hasn't hand-optimized it.

4) The video encoder/decoder interface is buggy as hell, and it usually requires "special" versions of open source tools like OBS to even kind of make it work.

This is on top of every other "subjective" issue that crops up in forums etc.

carnivore likes this.
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    This will hopefully run Diablo 2 with Glide wrapper like a dream.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, but it will run it with DXVK wrapper.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    dxvk doesn't support d3d8 or lower or ddraw, so... no?

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can you recheck D3D9 support in Diablo II for us?

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They are working on a remaster, so that might run on opengl or d3d11
    It currently has Direct3D6, DDraw and glide.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    But original D2:LoD did run as D3D9, right?

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it predates warcraft 3 and that used d3d8

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That does not answer the question, right?
    Does Diablo II: LoD runs under D3D9?

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Open the exe in a text editor and search for d3d9, if it does it'll be there.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    How many 980ti owners upgraded to 1080/1080ti?

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Many here on guru3d im sure like @Darren Hodgson

Pascal was good. 1070 was 350$ which is unreal now and 1060 was the best selling card and steam no1. 1080ti is the reason 2080 is not selling well.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    1060 sold because of mining. And Darren upgrades every gen.