AMD CEO Lisa Su Says Zen 3-Based Ryzen 5000 Will Feature new heights Performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2020.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    *sigh* power consumption isn't the same thing as efficiency, and TDP isn't the same thing as the actual power consumption. Although processors almost always become less efficient at higher clock speeds, if you don't like the extra power draw, just lower the clock speeds. The supposed 15% IPC is still substantial.

AMD might have the better product but they still have a long way to go to beat Intel. In the perspective of business, AMD is catching up, but they're not winning.
    Regardless, I do believe the 5000 series will be more expensive.

2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Zen2/3 are dirty cheap to make and already AMD had huge margins.
    Given TSMC official defect rate, AMD had 93.5% yield of the chiplets by end of last year at N7 and N7P, so each wafer produces ~749 good chiplets, 50 partial, 52 bad. With official single wafer cost $9346 means each chiplet costs to AMD around $12.5.
    The I/O is even cheaper and so is the tray. So we are looking for total BOM cost no more than $120 at the highest possible including packaging and cooler. 3900X/3950X/3960X/3970X are the true money makers though with each additional chiplet been sold over 2000% it's cost and AMD even makes big margins on the 3300X.

Nah, AMD will be stupid to lose market share to Intel. That $200 you propose can be gained by selling a second 5800X let alone a 5900X or 5950X which profits are even higher.
    There are many thousands stuck on 7700K/8600K/8700K because neither 9000 nor 10000 series were any significant upgrade. Zen 3 is though.

To put it plainly, AMD smells blood and going for the final kill, especially since Intel cannot keep up with their monolithic dies and goes back to glued quad cores for the upcoming 11th series.

3. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I think she means faster than anything Intel has today.

4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes but I personally think this is good news :) This points towards higher stable clocks with the enhanced 7nm process that AMD has no issue binning a 150w part. A 150W TDP the way AMD rates TDP's wont be that big of a deal it should come in under in power draw compared Intel in actual real world usage.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    lukas_1987_dion and ZXRaziel like this.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    What do you mean exacly by glued quad cores ? :D

6. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    From the leaked 5800x bench today I'm more afraid games are really lagging behind.
    Even with the IPC increase and clocks (obvious from the CPU FPS ) the GAME FPS using the same gfx card is same as Intel's.
    Might be a few better optimized games that can take advantage but most are not sadly.

As for the 150w tdp for the 5900x, that is scary indeed. 45% more tdp than 3900x?
    In a realistic test a 3900x using handbrake goes to 150w maybe 170w pbo. Add 45% to that (I really hope I am wrong).

7. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    thanks but i will stick with my superior gaming intel cpu... if i ever wants to save power on my desktop or get better benchmarks score with 7zip or 3dmark or basically any other program that doesnt matter to a gamer i'll give you a call...

8. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    Lul

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You seem pretty scared if you felt the need to come in here and profess your unwavering commitment to a company that doesn't care if you are alive next year.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Will be a nice upgrade for my downgraded Pentium 3 4770K.

11. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    The more reliable info out there suggest that the 5800X will be 8core , 5900X 12 core and so on ...
    but you never know, we will know soon anyway .
    I hope that the benchmark leaks are genuine , that would be nice .

12. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    I know that very well, and you can't compare INTEL TDP with AMD TDP, but you can compare two CPUs of the same brand, if AMD rates a CPU at 105W and another at 150W, even if they will not actually draw 105W and 150W, you can bet that the 150W one will draw A LOT more power. That's what I meant.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    So...how did you get my number?

Mods?

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If the 5800X is 10 core then the 5060 could be 8 core if they are skipping the 5700X entirely. That would sell like hot cakes.

15. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    It seems it wont happen. Maybe a 5850?

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    AMD doesn't need more threads.
    8c (16t) is more than enough for the next few years, heck, even 6c (12t) is enough for the large majority of the games and most applications (other than rendering, video encoding and scientific workloads)

What they need is those cores to stop wasting time waiting for memory...

If they can bring the RAM latency to a more Intel-like level, combined with the higher clocks that the new process offers, a better core/cache design... it could potentially obliterate anything Intel has, including in gaming.

lukas_1987_dion and TheDeeGee like this.
  17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I believe that is what they're doing. But increased core count is also welcomed.

schmidtbag likes this.
  18. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Rocket Lake-S will be 2 quad core hybrid chiplets at 14nm, backported from the Willow Cove which is a 4core max 10nm arc.

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Are you sure. I just bought 32GB 4133Mhz CL19 for 305$ CAD. It surely is sold for less in USA.

20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    It's great that you assume no gamer are working with their computer and paint all of them as guys who just play games. Really nice. As an engineer who work form home and also game on the fly I **** hate that and people should stop to do it. For me (and many others) the small difference in fps is worth it to have a better home workstation without breaking the bank with TR. Also i would not be surprised if Ryzen 3 is as good as intel for gaming while style retaining its workstation crown.