AMD CEO Lisa Su: High-end Navi GPU and Radeon Raytracing is coming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2020.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Rumors upon rumor. Your entire post of rosy predictions is predicated on a rumor. This reads like an AMD press release with the same caveat as always JustWait ®

[​IMG]

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia can output an 8k resolution just fine,

the only 8k that the console will be doing is video playback, there is nothing capable of 8k video gaming out now, nor will there be for atleast 5-10 years.

gaming journo's as stupid as they are saw "8k" and ran with the nonsense that it can do 8k gaming, it can't.

https://techau.com.au/xbox-series-x-will-support-8k-video-playback/

they are aiming for 4k gaming resolutions at 60+ fps minimum.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    warlord likes this.
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL looks like you got your panties in a knot about it :p.
    But you know what's really interesting though? That I could upgrade and buy a next gen console and probably still pay less then 2080ti at launch. :D

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You're not a fanboy but you took a gratuitous slap at Nvidia and promoted AMD because....not a fanboy. Tone down your jealousy of Nvidia, Ritchie Rich.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

This is an absurd post. A console is not going to dominate or even exceed a 2080 Ti level PC this gen. Further, even 1080 TI is "8K capable".

K.S. and buhehe like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    granted..... the xbox 8k playback is possibly hardware accelerated av1, which nvidia doesn't support yet.

K.S. and warlord like this.
  7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Looks like you had no counter to reality. Why do you believe your pondering about your purchase decisions is interesting? I think it's more interesting you wasted your rmoney (IMO) on products whose performance is worse than what you could have purchased 3 years ago. Bummer... I mean apparently AMD has forced you to wait for years and years to purchase a GPU better than Nvidia's four year old Pascal. Yep, you got me, Clem, I'm triggered.

8. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Wow, you are implying that win10 1909 is better for gaming then consoles because you have a 2080ti? :eek: o_O

LOL

LOL you do believe it!
    Yeah, triggered indeed.

9. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    2020 - People still just waiting for Navi

10. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    That elitism lead us here. Because Huang trolls you and demands 1200€ for rtx 2080ti a next Gen console isn't eligible for wining due to half the price at 600€. I'm sorry, your logic is absurd.

Ok.But you believe blindly his lies about xbox series x equals to 2080 max q laptop variant.

A finished man's last attempt isn't trustworthy.

If my speculations are true and that over priced gpu loses badly, he either has to push rtx 3000 or do seppuku. Life is reality and unforgiving.

Nvidia is getting pushed to a corner. If Intel lost the train with 5 times bigger r&d from Nvidia by poor AMD, how they will respond, is unknown.

11. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Tri-X Vapor-X
    You need to work on your reading skills...

12. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    You mean this was a reply to a forum member not Lisa Su? hah... no kidding...

13. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Capitalism demands that. Huang is a product of a long endless chain of events that led us here.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    AMD needs money a lot more than their competition does. Thanks to chiplets, Zen can undercut Intel quite a bit and still turn a good profit. This is not true of Navi. I wouldn't expect AMD to undercut NVidia by hundreds of dollars.

Current consoles already use 8 core CPUs. Since 2012. And they are very weak, meaning they really had to take advantage of the threads. Ironically, Zen 2 on consoles could make devs more lazy and stop bothering with proper multi-threading since Zen 2 is so much better per core. Pointless speculation.
    People also said everyone would be using AMD GPUs in gaming PCs when PS4/XB1 came out, look how that went.
    PCIe 2.0 x16 is still fast enough for everything other than maybe a RTX 2080. And I'm only saying that because I've seen a GTX 1080 run on PCIe 3.0 x8 without losing anything. You totally misunderstand the benefit of PCIe 4.0, scenarios where you are PCIe lane starved.

That dilemma has always existed, it's what makes consoles appealing. They are simple. But based on your wording, I think you are seriously overestimating what GPU they are going to put in a $500 console. Navi 21 already has a name, RX 5900 XT, and they sure as hell ain't putting that GPU in a $500 console.

15. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Saying that the price is north of $899 isn't indicative on your response. Or your lack of understanding of the term. ;)

This isn't accurate. PS4 uses a Dual 4 core module APU for example. That's the difference between then and what's being rumored for next gen. Which I assumed was common knowledge. Anandtech did a article on this way, way back. Take a quick peep.

This is also inaccurate. Back then it was rumored that more console port games would be more AMD favored. o_O

No, it's not the GPU but the CPU. o_O
    Which I stated in my previous post.
    There are a lot of inaccuracies that you hinge your point of view from.

My understanding isn't complex. It's rumored that cpu of this next gen of consoles will be far more powerful then in this gen. It's not a hard concept to assume. It would be expected for a next gen. But more importantly, it's rumored that cpu is going to be more then just a SoC/APU or dual modules.

But think about it for a minute. Low end SoC/APU/modules were used to bring us fidelity that rivals PC today. For example MW 2019 which is cross platform. Sure you can take some still shots and note the visual differences. However, their hardware is by far less then ideal for today's PC yet console players have been enjoying this level of fidelity for the past 8 years or so.

Now the rumor is that those same console is going to get a bump in HW that mirrors what we've been using all along. I can certainly see some future AAA titles requiring more HW from the PC in order to keep up. Which is the point of what I was posting about. That never happened before.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yes, if it beats the 2080 Ti. If it is faster than a 2080 Ti, then it would be smarter to price it the same, not lower. It's the faster card lol. You said if it's slower it would be a lot cheaper by hundreds of dollars, but how slow? It's around this point that I lost interest in your pricing speculation.

Let's see, 4 plus 4, let me get back to you on that one!

Which is what I implied. Which didn't happen. That's my point ...
    Also my info about PCIe 4.0 is not inaccurate.

This is a thread about a GPU, you made it about consoles.

The new consoles still use an SoC. MS posted a pic of the XSX SoC already. It will be a huge leap for consoles. And of course they will be getting tech we are already used to. Consoles catching up to modest PC hardware with a new generation, I should hope so. What was your point again?

17. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL, talk about going around the mulberry bush. So it's north of $899 then, got it. Oh wait, we don't even know if it will be faster or not making your melodrama pretty moot.

Not so fast there you thought, and implied as much, it was a traditional 8 core cpu. That's not correct at all. Which was the crux of your argument. Perhaps now you fully understood why I suggested that this go around some would actually need to upgrade their PC in order to keep up. Which would be a 1st for us PC gamers of the rumor does hold true.

No you stated "People also said everyone would be using AMD GPUs..." That's not the implication I would assume. You thought people would buy more Radeons. What I'm saying is that back then people assumed that console ported games would be more optimized for Radeon Users. That doesn't mean that those games wouldn't play well on Geforce. That's the implication.

Actually I posted more of the forest. It was you who narrowed down the topic a bit. I'm simply responding to you about it. :rolleyes:
    The point is very basic although I posted to you once already. Here, I'll use bulletpoints:
    -Consoles are cheap and are very efficient in how games are coded for it.
    -Consoles can give image fidelity and immersion that rivals games on PC (unless you take screenshots to note differences)
    -Consoles do this with hardware far inferior to PC standards today. Games like MW 2019, which is cross platform, are just as enjoyable on console as it is on PC.
    -According to rumors console HW has "caught up" to standards of PC HW. I said standards not ultra high end/etc.
    -If this is true I can certainly assume that some future AAA titles requiring more HW from the PC in order to keep up.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Err, in terms of necessary performance, we already have 8K gaming on PC...

Let's not forget we're talking about PC gaming here. Certain limitations don't exist on PC like it does in the normal consumer market where consoles live. Whether your monitor can actually show you every pixel in actual 8K is a different problem entirely.

19. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX560 8GB
    Recent game consoles are indeed based around an integrated APU - a single chip package that hosts both CPU and GPU on the same die. However that's not your typical Kabini-era APU, which is an entry-level CPU with an additional low-end GPU - it's rather a full-blown mid-end GPU with high-performance GDDR memory and a lower-end CPU connected to the same memory controller and IO bus as the GPU.

What's different for the next generation, AMD was able to squeeze high-end 8-core Zen 2 CPU and ~60 CU Navi2x GPU on the same package - and judging by unconventionally big tower/desktop cases for the XBox X and PS5, this APU does require quite deliberate cooling on the scale that's not typically found even in high-end gamer's PCs, save for previous generation consoles.
    That's a clear indication to me that next gen consoles will draw enough electrical power to be able to match the typical mid to high-end gaming PC of today that comes with a $400 GPU and a $200 CPU.

As for high-end Navi on the desktop, if it does have 1.5x-2x the number of CUs comparing to the the 5700xT and uses the latest generation of HBM2E memory with 1 TB/s class bandwidth, it shall be pretty competitive in comparison to RTX2080 and even forthcoming Nvidia's Ampere, for the same or lower price.
    And it's all in our interestes as consumers to see GPU makers like AMD, Nvidia and Intel compete with each other for the high end graphics market.

Mesab67, Maddness and Eastcoasthandle like this.
  20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yes, $999 is north of $899. Got me there.

No, the crux of my argument is they had to optimize games for a crap 8 core SoC, which will be less necessary in the future knowing lazy devs. The design of the SoC architecture is you grasping for straws.

When people said games would be optimized for AMD GPUs back then the obvious implication there was that games would play worse on NVidia GPUs. What other implication is there? I'm getting a headache, this is nonsense.

I've responded to everything you have said, from PCIe 4.0, to Navi 21, to console SoCs. All your bs.

XB1 needs to run most games at 720p 30 fps. How is that rivaling?
    What is enjoyable is subjective, I wouldn't find the above resolution and framerate enjoyable.
    Yes, you will eventually need to upgrade your computer. Glad we sorted that.