AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @commonly

HD3/4###x2:

yeah, working on it, but I have here a bit dilemma on the 4870x2. I mean people here say 10.5a was last functional. I fail to see how could that be possible (even while yeah I've
    seen people testing all current drivers), but my question would be. Why would ATI driver team change exact same code under every single different driver branch at same time?

I mean that makes no sense as they would of seen this at 10.7 WHQL already clear as a daylight.

I will build/combine the HD4### driver against 10.5a for now as it doesn't matter 1 cent is the driver 10.5a or v8.761.0 in speed or support wise.

Games, issues, etc......:

Anyway, I will not correct any of the issues in drivers shows here people reporting as there is no issue.

* "TF2 is faster with v3.75", are an junction of bad modules being used of course they are 'faster' that doesn't mean they work, especially to everyone,
    BUT I will include fix to the 'Valve' - 'Source Engine' separately it is just an engine as any other.
    * "Just Cause 2", I'll take a look at the demo, but it's still not an 'error' from my side that this game works lower like the BF:BC2 it was intentionally
    lowered to maintain DirectX 10 speeds in place and should utilize same patch I created for BF:BC2.
    * "Bioshock", I see no issues been playing it through no a bit and loaded some levels up. I think the issue is on game code. This game bases on SO SO
    hard issues in the first place and DX10 was new back when this was created.

and so on... Anyone got any other games to add for testing ? (I can at least determ what is the root of issue, if there is some, if I cannot see the game
    'and/or you cannot show the title for me' please provide information what DirectX/OpenGL level are we talking about and build you are using.)

OpenCL 1.0/1.1:

I will do an new testing against new code they provided now with ATI Stream 2.2. I know every single build I have build so far is functional with
    new OpenCL 1.1 or old OpenCL 1.0, but this does not mean that when utilizing features the OpenCL 1.1 new features would work clean.

As long this is a bug in their 'Stream' I am ok with it, but if there's an bug caused by something they enabled under. I will update them up to our builds
    as well. I am hoping to find an functional processing path enabled BY the new ATI Stream as issue was earlier in their processing path through
    monitors. I am hoping they haven't do same mistake again.

Commonly Builds on main page:

Gonna take a re-look on soon on the Eyefinity / CFX driver a bit here to get it to next version. Also I am going to update all of current first post. At least
    to update and add the 4###x2 driver. The good news here is I've been now able to restrict the bad module to 1 single mod so we can proceed a bit higher.

:bed:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Only game I can really think of is GTA 4 when the shadows are really high. The card can't seem to handle it.

3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, I have this here under testing and I cannot do absolutely nothing to those. This is either ATI hardware issue memory or an driver limitations. Same
    affect as SSAA 4x/x8 starts having on games transparency. Only thing I can consider improving this is the processing through the 'jump' faster, but I am
    already doing my best on that subject far smoother than officials. Ideally I don't honestly believe that memory even is an issue.

@Commonly

Also, speaking of memory size of 1GB. I do believe that NVIDIA will next take 2 steps here to everyones disadvantage.

I believe that there's an PhysX conversion for OpenCL 1.1 coming and it will be totally limited to first GPU. This would make NVIDIA hardware 100% sure
    being more capable even than Hybrid configurations. Also as on latest NVIDIA cards we can notice an 1,5-2,0GB Memory Size I believe that future NVIDIA
    optimized titles will also have an just over 1,0GB memory usage even while system memory could hand the back buffer when we add enough stuff to
    screen and will not limit the size correctly (surprise surprise by game devels) it will fail in processing through and what I've been saying now for some time
    this is where the problems comes reality as processing through ATI drivers is incredible bad to rest of the hardware (ignoring v10.7 WHQL although, there
    also is unstability) and it will make the problems we see here as slowdowns extremely adjustable by simply try to close the cap between graphic card
    processing and CPU<->Memory.

(By don't take my word... As said on first page 'trust no one'... and anything said here are just my personal idealistic idioticy...)

4. Aegnora

Aegnora Member

GPU:
    HIS radeon 5870@900/1250
    That would be just plain wrong...

And this "optimized for" thingy should not have its place in the PC gaming world. It's too reminiscent of the "exclusive" crap on console... i'm almost missing the old 3dFX time when all devs and gaming community were enthousiast around a unique brand.

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    heh, trust me you do not want my opinion in full on screen on either subjects 'Console' or 'Optimize For'. Could write a book about how screwed up these subjects are. :thumbdown

Was just saying what I believe and I believe we are heading in to much worst situation than we are on for the moment hardware market(ing).

6. zodden

zodden Guest

same...first trouble since Oct 2008 for me.

I find it very odd that ATI could screw this up. The 4870x2 was their most powerful last gen card and most of us paid a ****load to buy one. We are among the most likely to upgrade to their highest end card (5970 or similar) and again spend a ****load.

Of course I disclaim myself from the above. I freely admit I have no brand loyalty. SLI GTX460 is looking mighty tempting even if the drivers were fixed :) I have no complaints though about the 4870x2-21 months with great FPS at high quality settings is a good run.

7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I just ran the game STALKER with 24aa and the temporal aa.....

And I got 60-80 FPS.... how in the HELL do you manage this TwL lol. Amazing.

Just to make sure it was working, I got out the binoculars and looked for aliasing, but it was nowhere to be seen. Had Adaptive aa on.

EDIT: Just Cause 2 with the same settings 40-65

8. fagoatse

fagoatse Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    UTGLR is meeeeh.
    Use this one - http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm + New Vision Mod.
    That was offtop^

@TwL
    What does BFBC2 patch do in 3.95 build? Does it only fix stability issues or it also increases performance?
    Dunno If I should use it considering the fact that I haven't had any stability issues so far.

9. _MacA_

_MacA_ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 Ref
    Hi, just wanted to know if 3.95 has the underscan problem.
    If not then I'll give it a try!

10. ontariotl

ontariotl Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5970 OC x2
    TwL,

Thanks for the great drivers. My BFBC2 is now running quite smoothly on my single 5970 in eyefinity. Just a shame I cant have all the settings on high or it will crash to desktop. Damn you DICE!!

With your drivers working great with QuadfireX Eyefinity, I'm thinking about getting another 5970. I want to do testing with my buddies 5870 before I make up my mind. Do you think your drivers will work great with TrifireX Eyefinity as well? I just want to see if there is any improvement at all over a single 5970.

11. nodeuce

nodeuce New Member

GPU:
    can you include other versions of opengl for your selector (such as 9.12 and 10.3), please?

12. 5150Joker

5150Joker New Member

GPU:
    Alienware M17xR2/5870M XF
    Any 5870 mobility love yet? Especially Crossfire if possible.

13. LethalRise750

LethalRise750 Member

GPU:
    MSI R6970 Lightning
    Was just wondering if anyone using a 4890 prefers a certain driver?

Cheers.

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Where current optimized driver would keep FPS at ~46-58FPS on 'Cold War' Level for example under my hardware. The stability fix would improve that to
    me minimal 51-53FPS. So, it increases the bottom above to stabilize it to very much smaller array of drop.

According to fellow who reported it originally underscan problem does not exist any longer.

It doesn't matter what's the GPU count what's the GPU count as long there's 2 cards it seems. Although, even while my drivers might be good on
    QuadFireX they are hard for me to optimize up as missing hardware on testing and over network testing is a bit harder.

Why in earth would I wanna do this?

Well, they are included on 3.95, but no crossfire support. I can 'advice' how to get these working clean on 3.90a, but I will not add support to these as for now.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  15. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Have you gotten a Source engine game so you can make that patch you were talking about? That'd be great. :nerd: :)

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, I got here couple, but haven't tested any really.

17. ontariotl

ontariotl Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5970 OC x2
    I understand you don't have the hardware yourself and you are relying on others to share results and testing through network to optimize. I still appreciate what you have done for the drivers.

I will share my experience with the Trifire eyefinity tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    They will work pretty well. There's fellow on QuadFireX been testing these drivers from begin and he still haven't found too much 'bad' on them. I suggest
    while doing so take a test on v10.7a also there might be on this official driver something still working better/smoother(Dirt 2?).

19. ontariotl

ontariotl Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5970 OC x2
    I tried the 10.7a drivers 2 weeks ago when I had a chance to test it out with my 5970 and a buddies 5870 card. All testing would result in crashing or freezing at the begining of the benchmark. So I gave up, until I came across this forum and your fixed drivers. I'm willing to give it a shot again.

With your good driver cleaner setup, I will attempt to use the 10.7a again tomorrow and see if it works.

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, but they have much good in them and crashes I think are cause by system set not because drivers would be bad. I am unsure which way would be
    the best that the cards would be set on board at 3 GPU setup. I bet there's someone here who could answer better on this subject, but I am really sure
    you really wanna run HD5970 at HD5870 clocks and not another way around.