AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Something in 3.7x makes them to unstable for my liking.
    Had some game crash issues in games that never had any problems.
    Consider that this is on real long gaming sessions.
    So reverted back to 3.50, best driver I used so far, bit less performance in dx10 but its rock solid stable and it doesn't **** around with Underscan either.

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What do you have your PCIe freq. set to?

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Default no OC at all.
    A new driver shouldn't screw around because of PCIe freq either.

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    actually it does. I've seen hundreds of issues on people with stock 100Mhz simply because BIOS on MB is so damn sad, but yeah there shouldn't be any
    issues on PCIe frequency in new drivers, if there haven't been any issues before.

and yes I do see the unstability issues here. As said I don't like these new 2 drivers but they were the only way I could drop a boost in the pack. As the
    new ATI 10.7a hotfix DirectX driver truly suck even while EyeFinity people would disagree with me. Best driver there's lately been has been 3.7x the first
    2, but well those again were stable and faster on DirectX 9-10 and, if I keep them here people starts saying 'BF:BC2' is slower which I simply cannot seem to
    fix unless I change to the new crappy DX driver. :(

-edit-

I also see some weird damn 'amdkmdag' DVD_OV UVD Information in system Event log. Weird crap, but this seems only like information. Not an error. As I
    see for the moment we have 3 failing modules on v3.73 set and 1 module under v3.72.

@commonly

Anyway, I also (even while tweaking drivers for you guys here) do play extremely long periods on games. I think even longer than most here as I had
    custom to play over 70 hours time to time over weekend on some games. These days mostly DAO on those lengths, but time to time get stuck on
    some FPS totally for day or two. Sad thing in this is I am getting too damn old to drop 70 hours straight up these days. Something like 40-48 hours
    already eats me from living, but just as an information on myself that 'I do also do some serious gaming'. :)

I think that there should be something new on this post soon. Like 'tagged posts by people' to unique fixing. Like example:

Game Specific: or Unique System Specific:

Start post with that and I'll know and see what kind of issue & I'll study the issue and fix the issue for you on specific types of issues. As this way we could
    build an small database of gaming fixes / tweaks / categorize whole drivers, if we have to to get crap working.

I am not now yet sure how this setup could be established as this would require own topic or something by me or someone helping me to build an ideal
    setups. As myself people usually play similar 2-4 type of titles with variations aside so this kind of scenario could be optimized to be perfect.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010

5. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Are you suggesting that we make whole individual drivers for a single game, or that we somehow switch profiles or something for individual games to run better? If the second is possible that would be awesome for games like DAO and Just Cause 2. Maybe even make something for Call of Duty games where all that smoke gets in the way.

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Simply no.. I wrote again a novel on subject, but removed it.

but I can help where person needs 1 title working better.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    *accidental post

8. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Dragon Age Origins seems to be a popular title that needs help, in my opinion at least.

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I wonder how old code base I would have to dig up to get this working. :)

I know it ain't anything on v10.x Catalyst series, heh.

10. M3SM3R

M3SM3R Member

GPU:
    7970M
    I everyone :)
    First TWL thanks for your hard work.
    Since the 3.73 i also have problems with the Underscan fonction, and i found the driver to be less stable than the 3.50, and less faster in directx 9.
    Mineria can you send me a link to download the 3.50 plz?
    Have a nice day everyone, gona work now.:coffee:

11. Stampede89

Stampede89 Member

GPU:
    2x 5970 4gb Toxic
    Amazing work TwL! Nothing like seeing GPU score in vantage jump by 5000 points. I do have a small issue with the 3.7x drivers which is my games and DXDiag showing my 5970's as 4870x2's. Catalyst and the device manager show that they are 5800 series and this didn't exist with the previous drivers.

Keep up with the great work!

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Kinda split concept here on 'stability' I played several long period myself and had 1 crash total where after that driver haven't crashed even ones with anything. Hell I even left the game spinning for past 6 hours.

As for 3.50 builds, well, I have the links right here, if those were any better. However, I do not believe, if there's an driver we need to return to it to wouldn't be v10.6. more likely it would be 10.7 or 10.7a most likely 10.7 WHQL.

13. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    Kudos to the driver tweak maestro TwL for putting the time into making these drivers sing. /salute

Any chance someone could point me in the direction of the original 3.49 CFX/Multiscreen download? These were by far the smoothest setup for 4xxx series cards in crossfire with DX9, I scrubbed my last download file.

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @hoodwink

So, I keep hearing people here saying, but the ugly truth is it is not true.

I am trying to locate the best driver core code here to people to use. Not an old crap what is the problem. I can optimize the new I will not turn back to old. v3.49 was a
    build where CFX was scaled as is the new v3.72. Neither of these builds would do DX9, if you are looking driver for DX9 you should be looking much older driver. something like
    v10.3b or 10.4b perhaps just and just my older build v2.91 which is an 10.4a build (which is still the new code and so it's bad). Even older I bet v10.1 would be good to
    have in every machine. I mean it does not support the ATI Profiling none sense so it most be cleaner driver code by ATI driver team.

@commonly

I insist that people starts understanding a bit on drivers and what is an 'optimized' driver and what is 'profiling' crap. I am building the builds against
    the driver I do not give a good god damn about ATI profiling. I don't even use ATI profiling while testing because it affects the core driver speed while
    testing by redirecting the driver correct. That will not tell us the TRUE driver speed.

Developing an 'driver' is not the same deal as developing crappy modules which just happens to work with profiling. I do understand people doesn't
    understand the concept of what this means you only see 'something is working faster' while the ugly trust might be really much different below the
    profiling and this breaks things like DirectX 9 and DirectX 10. More they develop the profiling bullsh1t less the ATI drivers will work in general sense anywhere.

Examples (just the how this goes):
    v10.1 = driver development = 100% (OpenGL 3.2)
    v10.3b = driver development = 40%, Profiling = 60% (OpenGL 3.2)
    v10.4b = driver development = 60%, Profiling = 40% (OpenGL 3.2)
    v10.5a = driver development = 10%, Profiling = 90% (OpenGL 4.0)
    v10.6 = driver development = 5%, Profiling = 95% (OpenGL 4.0)
    v10.7 = driver development = 0%, Profiling = 100% (OpenGL 4.0)
    v10.8b5 = driver development = 10%, Profiling = 90% (OpenGL 4.0)

^ Now I hope everyone here understands from this what it says even while % is not by any mean accurate & it is just to give an idea how they
    developed drivers over past 6 months. Less the driver development in currently since v10.4b is better the DirectX 9 or 10 would work.
    Where as DirectX 11 would work better and better by profiling as would OpenGL which they restrict by FireGL -> Radeon.

15. fagoatse

fagoatse Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Speaking of builds for certain games, I think it should be avoided but, indeed, there are games that require some attention, for instance, BC2 where dev's as well as ATI seems to have given up on improving anything. Were it not for that damn smoke, fog or whatever it is....
    I've beaten DA twice(on my old rig though) and it was smooth as butter, what's wrong with it?

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Nothing wrong with DA. It's just fine except current release unstability and SSAA has a huge lag while Transparent objects on screen. Where SSAA drop
    = unavoidable with any current drivers ATI has released as for stability well, all drivers has had an issue since Catalyst v9.8 it has gone down and down
    and with v1.04 DAO it's very smooth with v10.6 drivers, but yet against smashed to pieces with v10.7a and v10.8b5.

As for BF:BC2 it's actually working pretty fast now 60FPS solid lowest, but there's a bit issue on the coding on it's effects 'screen motion' gives a jitter or kinda like full stops on all drivers while a certain effect is on screen.

17. slamdunk1973

slamdunk1973 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1gb VaporX
    tried most of the drivers released last week and none of them lived up to the 3.5's.
    the frequent frame rate drops in BC2 returned (game would dive from 50fps to 5fps for 3-4 secs)
    Then came the 3.73 which I installed yesterday and BC2 was back to a steady 50ish FPS with everything set to high. No Catalyst Control centre with these (doesnt run even tho it says its installed) but not an issue as the RadeonPro tool sorts out the changes i need.

With hindsight and after taking time with the install instruction, uninstalling and re-installing the Physx software was the only difference. This is in TWL's instructions, and entirely my fault for missing this step. This may have helped with the 3.7x's but now things are running so well i wont be checking.

Read the instructions folks, no matter how experienced you may be.

Excellent job again TWL so a huge thanks from me.

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    BF:BC2 under the v3.72-v3.73 should work extremely much faster than before. At least on my screen it's dumping clean 15FPS better.

This would be the ATI installer screw up I though I got rid of it. by simply removing as usual ATI driver uninstall CCC & Applications (Not the driver) and after removal is complete reinstall the from the pack will make them work as usual.

We are still gonna have to take a look on driver side sooner or later as soon I figure 3 issues on my monitor atm. Overscan bug, Installer bug & how to make StarCraft 2 Anti-Aliasing working with out replacing ATI D3D driver <- this is the core of all issues, atm, the new D3D driver is pure uber crap.

19. Mr Dohz

Mr Dohz Active Member

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    Hi TwL , do you have archive download for v3.50 ?

thanks.

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    got 3 that's why I didn't post them up. there's 2 builds multi monitor & single monitor builds.