AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yep, although that might not be such a bad idea in CrossfireX sense, if the Catalyst 10.7 WHQL is build to right driver branch that makes whole a lot of difference here now.

2. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    So, this topic finally surpassed the RadeonPro BETA topic in number of views. One day soon there will be 100,000 views, very impressive indeed. Thanks for all the hard work you do TwL/Genetix!

These drivers give me such a feeling of confidence, knowing they are so thoroughly tested for things I don't even know to look for. I know my games will work the best they can and put my mind at ease.

I really love your cleanup utility too. I used to use two or three different cleaners, but now I just use yours alone, and my system is squeaky damn clean. I mean, nothing else out there that I know of will also eliminate the stock, generic ATI drivers, but you have figured out how to do it. When it comes to removing old drivers, and making sure the new ones have a proper chance of grabbing hold of the system the way they should, with no mysterious untraceable conflicts, you have no competition.

TwL, I know you have talked about a scenario where one day ATI will finally release correct drivers, and you will be able to retire yours. But I don't see it happening, and if it does, I may never update again. I'll just keep using whatever last version you release.

I'm really looking forward to your next driver package, the new installer, the update to the first page...everything! Because you keep learning and discovering new tricks, this is a very exciting topic. I hope you can document all that you've learned some day so that we can read all the fascinating details that go into your releases.

A couple of questions:
    1) Have you gained any insight into 2D performance? It's very important to some of us, and I know of only two modern benchmarks, the one from Toms Hardware and the one from PC Pitstop.
    2) Have you looked at any FOSS drivers to see if anything could be applied?

Thanks again!

3. m00nlighter

m00nlighter Member

GPU:
    HD 4670 AGP 800GPU/800MEM
    Patiently waiting for 3.70. Hope the 10.7 code branch is good for single GPUs, and the red team fixed OpenGL issues.
    P.S.
    If ATI followed Google's example and paid $1333 for every critical bug in their drivers, TwL would definitely become a very rich man I guess :)

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yes and knowing this man's good nature he would probably give it away... :p

5. slamdunk1973

slamdunk1973 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1gb VaporX
    i installed the 10.8 beta lastnight and played some bfbc2. these drivers do seem to cope with the snow,dust,haze that the game has. especially when sniping, things seemed a little sharper.
    Altho,
    Framerate drops when lots of noise/action on screen return which is a pity. this was removed for me by using TWL's driver. Fingers crossed you can get the best bits out of the 10,8's and add your own fixes and give me a driver that is near perfect :)

good work again.

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Issues with the site:
    a bit of an issue here going on. I cannot access 'Guru3D'-site by any other means atm than by proxying my internet connection through USA, if Guru3D website starts to work on my country direction something there on server bandwidth side/provider side I think.

Single Cards / Single Monitor CFX systems:
    So, have to wait a bit on the new set still. I have looked all the 3 driver sets herenow through. It seems that v10.8 beta 5 comes with incredible bad processing and faster
    DirectX 10/11 where as official 10.7 WHQL again seems to come with evry impressive processing & decent DirectX 9.

I am sure I can figure something out of these takes a bit time of course and as said before I am working on it, so, asap.

CrossfireX with Eyefinity (over 3840pixels) :
    As for now I am looking and we got. No new driver from correct branch for CrossfireX. I can improve the current version 3.49 to include performance of the new drivers and
    truly faster processing speed now, but I cannot break the new drivers even with 2 reboot passes for you.

Problem here is that the problem is hardcoded inside the actual driver and no modification unless I do full debug & try to locate what ATI Driver team failed to see
    through tools like IDA Pro and this would be the same, if I would break the driver signs completely + add softmod to FireGL 3D while at it. Dunno, if it's worth it to go through
    the process even while it's tempting in a sense of multiple pipes open through FireGL drivers for cards.

7. weebeast

weebeast Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    Got a question im running ati_****_cleaner_v3.cmd at the moment and it says:

If everything in your "Display Adapters"-section is a-ok press <C>ontinue otherwise <A>bort

If i press C it doesnt continue lol do you know what the problem is?

Device manager is showing 2 "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" 1 with a triangle and 1 without. I'm running 2 4890 in CF does it mean this doesn't work for CF setups?

8. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    That window telling you to press C loses focus. Click back in the window to make sure it is currently selected.

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Just check the device manager it opens close the device manager > continue..

10. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Hi Twl when u relase the version 3.70? this version include de hardware acceleration driver compatible with VPL Media Player?

Bye and thank for the work

11. For Victory

For Victory Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 5970
    Not yet, I'm sure he'll announce it when he's finished and ready.

12. GaBBa-Gandalf

GaBBa-Gandalf Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD6970 2GB
    I also guess he is working on it... Just give him a bit time ;)
    What long needs is always good ;)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I am more of working on getting to Guru3D at all. Site simply time-outs me and can't connect properly.

Been working since yesterday on Crossfire multiple monitor setup. I got here near ready set for single cards and CFX systems with only 1 display. adding them, asap.

14. weebeast

weebeast Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    Worked thanks guys needed to double click 2-3 times on the cmd screen.

15. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Sorry for a potentially lame question, but 35 pages is a lot to read through!!

Does this modded driver return the 2d clocks back to the old clocks on 5xxx cards??
    I would like to use a newer driver than 10.4a, but not happy with the higher clocks and voltage when I OC!!!???

Thanks

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Why should anything restore what they just got fixed? This is pretty flawless working feature I mean. It shouldn't even be removed as your can simply click
    on catalyst and restore Overclocked valuesto normal and your 2d clocks would be normal again.

I actually lately have been thinking to disable the whole 'Power down' feature and drop it absolute OC'd values only to maintain and keep stability over all scenarios and fix the damn 3D detection.

@commonly

It is getting rather hilarious how ATI/AMD threats their high-end CrossfireX customers. None of the new builds will work on crossfire. They have screwed
    up load times at DirectX 10 in all new drivers + 10.8 beta 5 comes with huge processing bug. This is like they would of copied INF files directly from v10.7
    and dumped them to FireGL driver and through it would work any better as it requires 4 pipes not 1 where it's optimized in driver level.

Further more they has screwed up their so much talked 'OpenGL 4.0' very badly. It allows 0 overclocking now on neither of 3 drivers. The ES OGL4
    driver is the worst it would crash the system instant on screen. Their so called 'Advanced API' which should 'block' or more of 'restrict' what comes to
    screen on mobility radeons sucks so bad that hell I don't even understand why they actually released even as an preview. Do they really wish all systems 'previewing an driver to crash clean up' ?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  17. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    Hi,

TwL it is possible with your drivers to activate the AA in Starcraft II?

Thank you in advance

18. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    Twl, your driver recommendation for 2x5850 single monitor?

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    working on it wait.

read this while at it..
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...5149+"ATI+Stream+SDK+v2.3"&cd=1&hl=fi&ct=clnk
    (AMD Stream classified document of v2.2 and v2.3 will introduce GPU/OpenCL based Physics for gaming. been trying to hunt these SDKs out for people for my drivers for past 2 days while I've build a new driver based now on new content.)

I am currently uploading v3.70 for any Single monitor setup below 3840x1200 pixels on screen.

20. poo417

poo417 Guest

GPU:
    Installed these driver last night after trying both the 10.7 beta and whql and the 10.8 beta. Was getting more crashes to desktop in BC2 than with the 10.3 somethings i had installed. I know that is mainly a BC2 problem. I thought I would try these to see and WOW what a difference.

A 5970 at 900/ 1200 on eyefinity @6040 x 1080 really flies. They seem to get around 15 - 20 fps max higher same with average and min all with fraps but the game seems much smoother as well. The GPU use is interesting gpu 1 seems to lock at 98- 99 %while gpu 2 goes between 85 - 99%. Before both would go between 85 - 99 %.

Having had an extended email conversation with the dice QA guys it seems setting all my settings to low will reduce the number of CTD which it does. Even on all high I get a large amount of performance increase with these drivers.

Anyone looking at getting performance out of there CFX and eyefinity try these drivers. They really do take the piss out of ATI. I have only tried BC2 as that is the only game I am playing at the moment. It is just a shame DICE cant sort out the eyefinity CTD as I can now have have high settings and HBAO and some AA on and still have 60+ fps!!

Cheers for all the hardwork.