AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    Thats a neat site, gonna check it out.

I've never gone throug the group policy cause there is just so much stuff. Are all the values perhaps stored in some convenient place in the registry so you could easily make a backup? (I guess they are all spread out)
    Or someone knows a reliable site which has more stuff on the gpedit?

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Actually, to be honest to you gpedit is pretty empty..

it pretty much includes every tweak there is on windows and that is pretty much it. Total parts you wanna check is like less that 100 which is much less
    than what proper system tweak applications run rounds has usually been. Plus the good thing is that the gpedit is Microsoft internal.
    I wouldn't even read that tweak guide I uploaded and I would actually simply go through the entries under 'Windows Components' and 'System\Internet...'
    part to block and that would take me less than 5 minutes to go through and then it would be done for good for the system rest of its life.

What goes to services yeah, blackviber has good information on everything. Many would be surprised what the heck they are actually running in their systems.

@commonly

Ok, we have a situation coming up...

As for NVIDIA side...
    There is an issue with NVIDIA R280-285 driver series. It has been here quite a while the issue is at NVIDIA display detection data which activates as
    delayed action at system while an hybrid installation is done. This cannot be solved by the AMD drivers and the issue is hardcoded on NVIDIA side (their
    driver sys file makes an query to display data -> audio data => FREEZE) to work through this issue I suggest you continue using drivers below R250 and
    just deal with old OpenCL with the older having new PhysX installed still and little slower than the new one.

Peons on web actually believes this to be a multiple audio driver issue which it is not. It actually is an bad display detection query by NVIDIA side.

Prove of concept: Install the driver -> disable the display HDMI plug'ed -> audio starts no crashing -> Delayed display data detection enabled = freeze.

and... while... at... it...

Code:
    http://www.n g o h q .com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html
    (will not fix the freeze and it not the cause of the freeze - thank you genL great work again) [Take the spaces out ;P]

As for AMD side...
    Well, this new 11.10 installation is pretty damn great, but if you happen to be running a lot of old games using DirectX 9 I suggest you install the 11.9
    driver only and install the AMD software only from the new driver as this one is developed to function at DirectX 11 (again) and you will get more stable
    performance at DX9 with the 11.9 including now since 11.10 an functional scaling functions.

We will be building next modified build here against 11.10 and patch the DX9 issues including the current OGL/OCL/Processing issues(hopefully none). This
    would actually be great base driver, but will have to be using old data on patching and the new NVIDIA situation is pain the rear.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Member

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    +1 on 11.10 Drivers. I totally agree. For the first time, all apps running just fine, games topping their older benchmarks without issues etc on my 5850's. AMD finally starting to pay more attention at driver side I guess.

4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    looks like the same amount of paying attention

11.4 was the one that had the first big boosts (& a special preview), that one seemed like paying more attention

11.10 was just undoing the opengl mess & the usual adding of new games

5. robolee

robolee Member

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX 570 4GB
    as usual, can't wait for TwL magical driver release.

6. DerekMessina

DerekMessina New Member

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the post! I'll download them and gonna give it a try. I hope it works. great job!

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    "Though I had some PSU issues back there", but ASUS BIOS 0706(The New Version not the old one)->0901 BIOSes started blocking what I was building
    earlier. The usage of Southbridge PCIe connector to provide ""CPU"" PCIe connector full x16 bandwidth started crashing 4 weeks ago because ASUS
    patched the exploit at their BIOS for people not being able to use extra PCIe and so when ever you use these PCIe channels any over x4(->x16) card at
    the slot would crash or freeze the system up.

Took me quite a while to understand the situation change on the BIOS side, but got it under control now.

For the Update:

I've been like 24/7 testing the 11.11a,b,c these seems really good drivers for different kind of setups. However there's some problems on each 'a' version
    comes with really nice streaming and would be the best of them, 'b' version again would most likely be best used with CFX systems while 'c' is an
    attempt to combine where the problems starts again while data is streamed to card it lags and it simply is not working again.

I have not seen version 12.1 anywhere even while some people speaks about that.

We still have the same problem in a sense here currently that the drivers are not fluid when it comes to processing an error. In today's modern bullsh1t
    code we see in every single game as either badly configured engine or engine designer is not keeping in mind that the hardware is so badly lagged that it
    cannot do all the latest stuff because of something restricting it. This same deal causes application not responding, scaling issues and in the end
    application crash when these errors loops bad enough for GPU to not be responsive to the application running data to it too fast. So, I am currently
    looking for drivers which actually could again be fluid and not jump while error correction is working.

NVIDIA side:

Atm, you would be best off with R258.62 version of the drivers and combine that with PhysX v9.11.0621 + v1.05ff patcher(for hybrid configs). You can
    attempt to over rule intel PCIe restrcitions by utilizing the southbridge PCIe instead at x4 (at x4 it will be same speed or provide in full same speed as
    x16 slot would for Physics and something like Batman PhysX would never run over 50% anyway). However, the old driver on this page has less errors to
    run such scenario, but provides less calculations so it's slower, but works better in x4 situation for badly done BIOS drivers (like in my situation above).

In general:

Sorry I have not provided new drivers not even a beta / alpha as I usually have put up to network. This is simply because have been having really
    busy/difficult time really long now. Atm, getting to the same point as I was before all the mess started. Modified set will be added when I see any true
    means to improve the available or fix some of the errors, but building even one of the drivers takes a lot of time and testing, time which I've been short of for very long time.

Some Benchmarking done:

10.10:
    OGL: 100.36
    DX9+11(min,max,ave): 1,65,38
    CPU: 3527.22, 33.23, 25374
    DX9(min,max,ave): 28.0, 81.1, 40.3
    DX11(min,max,ave): 10.9, 65.7, 29.1

11.11:
    OGL: 100.41
    DX9+11(min,max,ave): 1, 64, 38
    CPU: 3536.58, 33.14, 25405
    DX9(min,max,ave): 28.2, 81.5, 40.3
    DX11(min,max,ave): 16.7, 65.7, 29.1

11.11a:
    OGL: 100.40
    DX9+11(min,max,ave): 1, 73, 47
    CPU: 3522.00, 32.88, 25273
    DX9(min,max,ave): 28.2, 80.8, 40.3
    DX11(min,max,ave): 14.9, 65.7, 29.2

11.11b:
    OGL: 100.87
    DX9+11(min,max,ave): 4, 73, 47
    CPU: 3509.10, 34.14, 25469
    DX9(min,max,ave): 28.2, 80.8, 40.3

11.11c:
    OGL: 100.90
    DX9+11(min,max,ave): 2, 73, 47
    CPU: 3553.33, 34.22, 25716
    DX9(min,max,ave): 28.2, 81.0, 40.4
    DX11(min,max,ave): 16.7, 65.8, 29.1

8.93-111118a:
    OGL: 100.60
    DX9+11(min,max,ave): 1(20->7),73, 48
    CPU: 3540.30, 33.36, 25470
    DX9(min,max,ave): 28.2, 80.8, 40.4
    DX11(min,max,ave): 16.5, 65.7, 29.1

8.922-111203a:
    OGL: 100.72
    DX9+11(min,max,ave): 3(16->3), 64, 38
    CPU: 3541.97, 33.03, 25410
    DX9(min,max,ave): 28.3, 81.5, 40.4

Test scenario notes:
    * All tests are run by softwares AMD drivers will never understand to profile.
    * All tests are run at Offline testing machine with solid tested windows core running on background only.
    * All tests are timed in to be run on same machine state to avoid suddent timed event by operating systems.
    * Higher value is always better

and attempting to still develop an latency based test of data transfer to the GPU<->memory<->CPU

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  8. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    Thnx for the update on your progress, TWL. And thank you for your amazing effort. CanĀ“t wait...xD.

9. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    Just tested 11.12 WHQL (no CAP) in Skyrim and feels very smooth and consistent, very little to no tearing also (much better than 11.11x perf drivers).FPS wise they look the same or even better than before. I think AMD is finnaly getting the grip. This set may have bugs and/or broken features (or not-I didn't get any) but the little I saw of it tells me they'r FTW. We'll still need TWL's magic touch but nevertheless things are looking better.

10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, things are / have been looking quite a bit better now.

11. tape_artist

tape_artist Active Member

GPU:
    HD4850
    i have a random question as a win xp user. today i made a clean install of windows 7 and installed the 11.11a drivers and did a quick benchmark with doom 3 (latest version, benchmark demo). windows 7 is clean and has sp3 onboard. windows xp is a really old install and has comodo firewall and avast antivirus runing in the background (11.11a drivers also).

in windows xp bech demo gives me an average of 165fps (5 tries). in windows 7 bench demo gives and average of 114fps (5 tries also). tried call of duty 4, and it seems that there's also a difference, but slightly smaller.

is it possible that the xp drivers are so much superior to 7?

hd4850, athlon x2 240, 2gb ddr2 (oc'ed to 1050) is my setup. i know that 2gb isn't really big nowdays, but these are old games and shouldn't make a difference...

thanks for your reply in advance

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    XP is DirectX 9 max.
    Windows 7 can use DirectX 10 and 11.

This means many more effects can be used under windows 7.
    You can tell a game to run in DX9 if you want the speed back but you will lose the quality.

13. tape_artist

GPU:
    HD4850
    but as far as i know cod 4 and doom 3 are directx 9.0c/9.0b, there shouldn't be any difference between xp and 7 on the count of that. i watched closely and could not see any difference in image quality.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    hmm, it might be down to Aero taking up gfx memory.
    Disable Aero and see if it improves.

15. tape_artist

GPU:
    HD4850
    tried it, but with no success. which isn't that surprising because ccc disables aero when u enter a game.

since yesterday i've been doing the same testing with win 7 ati drivers going back to 10.1. it seems that 10.4 where the last that came even close to win xp performance. from 10.4 onwards i get worse performance with every newer driver... maybe ati know how to make a driver for xp, but fail only in 7?

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I'd compare the results with reviews to see if what you are getting is normal.
    Then you'll know if there is something to fix.

You must compare the same processor family/cores/cache sizes at approx the same speed.
    Same with game quality settings, video card settings, video card clocks and resolution.

17. V1tol

V1tol Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Dude, is that too small for you to play? If in XP you would get 200 fps and in Win7 20, then it would be a problem. But you have OVER 100 FPS in games, why do it bother you so much? If you cannot provide us arguments why you need so much FPS in games your post looks for me as a complete trolling.

18. tape_artist

GPU:
    HD4850
    what's your problem? i see there's alot of brain matter in the air...

when playing doom 3 it doesn't matter, but when playing promod fps drops from 250 to ~198, in xp it's locked into 250.

19. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    LOL

Just because 250 maxfps allows you to fire around 0.5% quicker on anyones promod system vs half the FPS (125); doesn't mean much*.

(around 20-25 milliseconds delay with half the fps also doesn't mean much, considering that 60 Hertz TFT monitor takes 16.666 millisecond to render each frame, input delay from mouse/keyboard has more than 3 millisecond for unique input keys and now couple that with your reaction time ranging in more than 50-100 ms)

---

request promod games to be at 125 FPS*.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  20. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Member

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    wadap ppl
    I see lots of you tryin to prove things to each other. stop rocket science and play games drivers are fine and leave calculations to my man TwL cheers, happy holydaysss all