AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    Is this the quite before the storm? I hope it is cause this thread is getting worryingly quite...

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    FTFY.

In any case, TwL is doing this with whatever spare time he has.
    Be patient.

3. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    I thank you for correcting my poor spelling. And yes I agree with you. I must be patient.

4. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Member

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    what happened to TwL long time no hearing from him..maybe mad amd soft dept. workers abducted him?? look A-M-D ----> MAD
    :D:DD

anyways sorry I know that joke sucked.. hope all ppl following this thread doing okay. hope to hear some news as always but no news. I decided to do this. take care ppl

5. robolee

robolee Member

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX 570 4GB
    with amd releasing new driver so fast, i dun think TwL can catch up.

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, I can catch up question currently was 'time to spend for nothing' plus I was working like 24/7.

I currently don't see any reason for update. AMD breaks the stuff as they go. For example v10.9 they still had an functional base for OpenGL but since they
    were so LAME and updated crappy 5 second crap code for title 'RAGE' now we are jamming at 11.10 betas at no functional code again for neither
    processing OCL or OGL and both are broken at driver level.

Absolutely idiotic behavior from intelligent coders.

Now next again we get 11.10 or perhaps 11.11 and yet again we are on functional level and slow as hell plus we have all the lovaly bugs back btw
    which were fixed last year from vertical incorrect drawing, badly processed texture optimization, none recognized applications and few totally new bugs
    including also video playback bugs on both of current releases.

So, don't really see reason for me to put my head below the axe and release something then try to explain why something doesn't work on my release.

@commonly

I'm still here testing 11.10beta2 + new profiles joined a bit on much better D3D9 from 10.9 and still testing.

I am currently on vacation so we might get something done, but as above explained there is several issues we are fighting yet again like last year same
    damn bugs started to reappear.

here's,
    current beta(v6.0 beta 3) I am working on as base for myself:

Mirror 01 (Zippyshare) - Mirror 02 (Multiupload) - Mirror 03 (Mediafire)
    MD5: 5c5e355982f5f323470908776a27b2d9

* This release is just to do very minor correction to D3D9, OGL OCL and all the new titles, but it has bugs old and new.
    * No edits on INFs
    * Clean install x86 / x64

Current clean-up I am using:

Mirror 01 (Zippyshare) - Mirror 02 (Multiupload)

MD5: 86a79d440249d28b1ede12e5a5d60fda

* Has bug with sidebar open on end so logs cannot be deleted until restarted or sidebar process is killed/ended.

I do not suggest to install this for stable run time, but well been running quite some time now myself and works pretty well ignoring the bugs there
    are. Also to be noted this does not come with laptop support or any kind of installer to work around systems.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  7. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    Thnx, TWL. I installed it and find it much better than AMD's 11.9. Whatever you did to it even if little made it work better and the laggy mouse isn't there, so you must have done something. xD, Thnx again and can't wait for full/final release. You rock, sir.

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    That beta I added only utilizes the new against old to fix several errors we got by the new beta at other than OGL and other than the new battlefield 3. This is where the
    stupid code starts as usual they fix it they break it and in the end the actual functional code is slower, but at least it works over scenarios.

Currently I am not sure should we make another final build before we get a driver fixed for OCL/OGL(in another words 'RAGE') and get ATI old driver team to fix crap that AMD driver team made.

9. robolee

robolee Member

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX 570 4GB
    Cheer @ TwL, anyway since you dun get pay doing this. like i say take your time ^-^. i will be switching to green camp end of this mth anyway. sick of AMD

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Been testing the beta for awhile and seems nothing wrong with it.
    Side note : I don't play either BF3 nor Rage.

@TwL
    I think you should just keep it a beta until you're sure everything is in place.
    Don't make it out of beta just because it'd give people more reassurance that your custom driver works reliably.

I think most people who've used your customs before would just download & try it anyway even if it's a beta. =b

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @robolee

Well, only thing I don't understand on AMD/ATI is why they do keep breaking the functional drivers over and over again because of some new game. AMD
    doesn't support game makers, they do not optimize code for games and anything not reading AMD is 'it's badly optimized' makes me sick honestly.

I think AMD biggest advantage in the past was that they offered an alternative to NVIDIA by openly providing all to people to do their own builds and those
    builds usually in the past worked really well. Now they are restricting from here to door step of NVIDIA everything and continuing this profiles growing
    crap which is everything against what ATI used to be, beside that they seem to have 2 driver teams I believe old ATI driver team who actually builds new
    features and fixes things and AMD driver team who makes sure latest and greatest works breaking everything to make even 1 popular title to work
    probably pushing ATI driver team to build anything they can add to PR team to publish with the driver as 'we have this feature'.

I am pretty near going to NVIDIA lair myself, but then again own so many AMD cards that it'll never end and I have customers or well people who
    always owns ATI/AMD laptop cards and desktop high-end like I am fixing today an pair of HD6990's from germany can't just drop the work here and I
    probably have to build anyway just to fix in future broken hardware of people for no old hardware support from AMD.

Sorry for novel...

@k1net1cs

Well, that wasn't exactly beta I didn't mod on any regular part that upload. Besides it has an memory leak from new official alpha DX9.

I'll add the driver when I get anything really functional on my table building bit by bit from errors allowing features AMD/ATI driver team makes by their
    beta/alpha builds and yeah it'll be ready when it's ready. The good news is that now I got time to build last couple days been just playing games mostly
    since I was totally working 12/7 everyday for past 4 months, but no worries I will be bored yet again soon enough for all the damn lags on screen and back
    on testing, hehe.

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Heck, take all the time you could ever take.
    AMD now stands for A Marketing Department anyway.

13. robolee

robolee Member

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX 570 4GB
    @TwL

i was also a long time Ati/AMD user, their hardware maybe good but their software team need to buck up. Till then i will just shy away from AMD.

14. Danielcz

Danielcz New Member

GPU:
    r9 290x
    this is maybe reason why many people in my country saying that ATI/AMD is for teenagers and geeks and nVidia is for professionals

after many years to be fan of ATI, there must be some truth in this :(

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    AMD has always been harder to work with, but been supporting much more features.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

16. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon RX580 4GB
    Is there any way to test it on switchable graphics?
    DanielCZ: Zdravím :D

17. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon RX580 4GB
    I solved problem with black screen after using of TWL cleaner.
    Just run windows in 640x480 resolution (you can choose it after hitting F8 like if you wont safe mode).
    It´s realy funy install Catalyst in this mode (window is bigger then your screen :D) but it can be realy heplful (I can´t install Catalyst in safe mode. I have error failed to load detection driver).
    This cleaner is realy good, more better then driver sweeper, thank you TWL :)

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    All the so called blank screen needs is an monitor actually. This only happens if you reboot after clean-up as the driver installation will otherwise update the monitor data.
    Ideally on situation of blank screen the best way to get back functional system would be to go to 'safe mode' -> device manager > delete the
    'Standard VGA Display...'-adapters > right click and scan for new hardware. This would re-build the Microsoft standard display data otherwise you could
    use the toolbox .REG display data correction file I build sometime ago.

Trust me you don't want switchable graphics in worst nightmare case you might wanna take a look to Lucidlogix drivers. (however, someone needs to
    crack these Lucid driver restrictions out so there will not me Intel iGPU needed and work through any GPU).

Ideally, if this would be a perfect world we would all be using Laptop hybrid drivers """which would allow us to switch and turn down physics card""" to
    decrease power consumption, but before this and a lot of other things people most learn Windows HDD offline modes, their UEFI/BIOS hardware and what
    data channels they use (for example SATA3 would use PCIe) and while we drop at so called power safe mode your OS would turn down everything else
    except Network Adapter.

---

As for the cleaner, yeah it's still good. There are setups which basically builds some data under 'ProgramData' on developer machines which I cannot
    straight up test, but those are still something I think I should left alone as there could be some data which are actually build by the devel himself.

@commonly

As for general driver:

Best advice from current drivers I can give for anyone is -> use the driver and installation from v11.9 and replace Catalyst 11.10 Alpha 'Apps'-folder to
    the 11.9 installation found at 'Packages\Apps'-folder. This will give you an functional control panel however even while so the 'LCD overdrive' still won't
    work properly, but some of video and other features will.

I will not fix that new crap they've built and I will not build against 11.6 beta 2 which was last decent functional driver. So, we need something solid
    currently working at DX9 and DX11 yet again like year 2010. This will be some driver which extracts to '\AMD'-path when it comes and release notes
    of AMD/ATI will state something similar to 'improved <some> DirectX 9.0c game performance'.

Battlefield 3 and system optimization:

btw, by that setup (assuming your Windows 7 is properly installed and you have bothered to take a look to 'gpedit.msc'). I am running Battlefield 3 at
    absolute solid 30FPS (with VSYNC) by all on Ultra including x4 AA x16 AF and from a single SATA-2 Samsung 500GB Single platter HD and 2GB of total
    DDR3 single channel Elpida Hyper, a single HD5850, which I got to say is pretty damn cool as accordingly to the 'Can you run IT!' diagnostics or ANY
    recommendation from either EA, DICE or any of the review crap this system will never run this game.

Stupid diagnostics of today. It's funny how far reach an PR teams get. I would love to see an TRUE news site or diagnostic utility out there which
    would instead of give all the bloated crap of corporate world give solid info on "DO NOT BUY A NEW HARDWARE YOU DON'T NEED IT" and advice some
    true optimizations for demanding hardware.

(for those who doesn't know for example. 'Windows 7' 'ultimate?' takes around 1,5->2,5GB of your RAM as of default plus is totally unstable while
    utilizing full amount of your RAM. Now you can put 'Windows 7' to 480MB of RAM clean up by simply looking to your 'Group Policy Editor' through a bit and
    the best part is when you are done you can actually use something like 95% of RAM instead of crashing at somewhere of 80% "which has been default
    Microsoft crap since Windows 98". So, at least some improvements at Windows side.)

As for a good game:

Well, just got to mention. I just bought game 'WRC 2: FIA World Rally Championship' and I got to say this is 50 times better code and a game that
    Codemasters has produced to AMD/ATI for past year or probably ever since CM 2005. I highly recommend the game as it is simply fun, game looks like
    crap but has the feeling of a RALLY not an 0,1 millisecond break or cas foot, but A GAME.

* Box says 'Black Bean Games' which I am pretty unfamiliar and Developed by Milestone S.r.l. which I just have to say good work. :thumbup:
    * No hardware company logos anywhere and works with NVIDIA and AMD hardware just fine as far I tested. :ying:

In-game motion look is absolutely great although could use a bit improvements on break motion and kick to speed up. Loving it and runs clean
    on everything full with current AMD 10.9 and NVIDIA R285.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  19. wafu88

wafu88 Active Member

GPU:
    DDR3
    TwL mind posting a link or instructions of these tweaks from gpedit.msc?

Thanks

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, there's so much. you'd go through 'system' and the 'Windows Components' parts under 'Administrative Templates' on both user account side and on Computer configuration side.

I wrote myself an tweaking guide like 2 years ago or something. IT DOES HAVE flaws, but 99% it's ok still and got few updates here there:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i6iu36rgbpv7e5c/Vista-SP1-2-Guide.txt
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ww0ft51vil84npl/Vista-SP1-2-Guide.doc

Configuring / building new system and looking GOOD information on Windows Services Look at this website: http://www.blackviper.com/

instant minor corrections:
    * Internet Communication Management -> both ends (user - Computer Configurations) can at Windows 7 be 'enabled' to block all outgoing customer experience crap and information leaks. -> ONLY time you need to modify:
    Is if you update your windows (WUA) you will need to 'Disable' the 'Computer Configuration'-side 'Internet Communication Management' for windows update to work.

It's a simply TXT file and heck it even says 'Vista SP1', but all of them works exactly the same on Windows 7.. Further more there's tools:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/424g5351ou2ja40/tweaks.rar
    MD5: fdf58b8bdefd7310b8ce0644b6709151 *tweaks.rar

and little explainatory of Database HDD offline/online concept here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?v9hnn9qlm474xa7

I copied some of my own data. Anyone can bitch about them but I did build them for myself ONLY to do quicker system installations. Also,
    the power menus are actually GUID based so you'll have to probably check the GUID's from machine "powercfg.exe -l"-command.

@commonly

NOTE:

If you do download above files:

Do not ask for help on these you are on your own. Anything you do not understand you are on your own. Anything you do with this data is your own
    responsibility and I will not take responsibility of anyone individual stupidity done by these tools.

Also questions like 'why have I added something this way' goes to ignore. As said it is old guide and just notes for myself few tools to help. You may be
    more intelligent on somethings than I am, but keep it to yourself and work it out for your own machine do not slam it to my face here because some
    pre-made doc says I would do something some specific way, lol.

Ps. Every single tool is there for a reason for example someone might ask 'why there is old editions of FxVisor' software and yet you could disable the
    shortcut arrows by registry OR by included xDn. NO lol they are all flawed only way you can do this properly is by going through framework and only
    too existing to do this properly is FxVisor old editions of discontinued software otherwise your icons will start vanishing after few reboots. xDn is
    there for 1 single reason to disable windows 7 features as that is something it can handle. :)

Why did I upload these ugly looking files:

Perhaps someone finds something there useful. Consider this as 'starter pack' for real computing, lol.

There's a lot of people out there who do not even know their system has all that data available for them to look at, tweak to and configured at hidden
    places only few tools and manual bashing through registry's will get them and this is only a fragment of information we actually can easily modify. We have
    pretty crazy hacks/cracks on when we talk about hardware stabilizing and hex editing core or new UEFI, but all that was left out to consider more
    people starting to understand what they are actually running little easier for starters.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011