AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    It ain't no CAP issue as people here suggests. It's an DirectX driver issue. (you can find temp fix/patch for this on archives, if you want).

heh, funny thing actually ATI/AMD had 4 branches of drivers and they fixed this issue only on 2 branches of drivers they built, so, my build v5.10 DX
    wasn't based on the DX9 improvements but to DX10-11 and so I had to build an patch to make this specific title actually to work correctly. :bang:

@commonly

The next build will be up when it will be up..

* OpenGL 4.2 has flaws in it still. Seems every time they introduce some new hyped crappy extension (which will probably NEVER get used by any
    game developer) they break old OpenGL extensions from functioning and these extensions are 10 times worth than the whole OpenGL 4.x for any
    gamer. It would be more worthy to use last year 10.4b release OpenGL than what ever has come after in any OpenGL scenario that would be on today
    optimization pretty near 0 errors and give pretty impressive performance to what we really do have as in OpenGL 3.x.

* 11.7 is quite restricted dunno, if it serves any good base after all. Might have to build against the 11.8, but both releases comes with same damn issues:
    - We have broken video functions it doesn't apply even half the settings.
    - MLAA bugs when turned on.
    - AF applied by application is still broken.
    - Overdrive is unfunctional
    - and so on... the usual..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Killer344

Killer344 Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II
    True... I tried with a lot of different CAPs and even with a dummy CAP, nothing worked. I completely forgot about that patch... it's funny one year later I still need to use the same stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/?riaamqp48b59155

That one, right?

What are the downsides, is dx11-dx10 gonna go to hell when I use that version?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. Killer344

Killer344 Member

GPU:
    I got a huge FPS hit and the flicker is even worse with that one... and the worst thing is the backup doesn't work, omfg.

4. Killer344

Killer344 Member

GPU:
    TwL, can you check if you have lying around your HD some patch for 5.10, because the latest patch for SC2 uploaded is for v4.23, at least I could restore 5.10's original files without reinstalling everything again :bang:.

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Killer344

You probably will get flickering and terrible FPS as the 5.10 were a lot newer version the those fixes were build for. :(

Restore: just run the patch again it should backup anything changed.

@commonly

I would actually already release a new driver, but the Video enhancements are broken on every driver for past 3 months. I simply cannot locate a single
    working video enhancement module and that is the same issue causing the issues and drops on 11.6, 11.7, 11.8.

(btw, those who has been here a while: This is the identical issue we had last year at where 10.5a, 10.6b were functional and 9/10 of anything else
    was broken. At modified v3.xx series of drivers. So, currently fishing for 1 functional to add and hoping to get lucky.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    AMD really should hire you as their driver development supervisor, TwL.
    Those knobs might know how to get things work, but they don't really know how to keep things work.

7. robolee

robolee Member

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX 570 4GB
    No pressure there TwL, you are willing to spent your precious for us. I rather have a stable working driver then a rush work! *thumb up*

8. ziddy123

ziddy123 Banned

GPU:
    I'm still using the HD3/4 10.5a Mod just because everything works and I don't get shadow flickering and other junk from official releases from AMD.

So yes, I also would want a quality release over a quick release with everything working and functioning like the HD3/4 1.08 release.

9. Gavatron

Gavatron Member

GPU:
    AMD 6850 @1ghz
    Weird thing for me is that I get shadow flickering with every driver ive ever used. From 10.10 (no official support for my card) to 11.8.

10. GaBBa-Gandalf

GaBBa-Gandalf Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD6970 2GB
    @ TwL:

...the Video enhancements are broken...

Can you describe it a bit?

11. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Member

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    my os is broken and I was hoping for a new release. not so soon i guess. Im checking thread for like 20 days!sooo..need an advice: what should I install after my clean os installation amd 11.7 or back to GenetiX5.10 ? best for 5850 cfx ??

12. Killer344

Killer344 Member

GPU:
  13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @GaBBa-Gandalf

try tuning the video enhancements over DXVA simply as that. You will notice that neither Vibrance, Flesh tone nor real enhancements work as they should in fact they don't do anything. Also pull down is working incorrectly.

@k1net1cs

Just hate to point out some things that never should go past the quality control of AMD size company. I don't think they should hire me, but they sure
    could use my help on testing and identifying the issues before these goes to public, however, as they don't listen to their own people at forums even I
    doubt they would listen fellow like myself.

@chest_rockwell

Best for CFX would be 11.6b. ideal would most likely be some combination which I am building. 5.10 with new profiles might fly, but it's getting rather old.

14. Gavatron

Gavatron Member

GPU:
    AMD 6850 @1ghz
    they probably read these forums and partially listen to peoples problems. From my experience in corporate its usually the fact that all additions/patches/fixes have to be run through around 2 months worth of red tape before ammendments can be passed onto devs

15. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    I'd say 5.10. In my system (single 5850) nothing has come even near twl's stuff, so far. No version at all, wether 10.x or 11.x; tried them all. TWL FTW. Cheers.

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yEAH, main probs on 5.10 are at CFX and some DX9 titles, if I recall correctly even OGL works pretty well on that release.

17. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    OpenGL here is a bit of a mixed result, but one that fully satisfies me so far; Despite it bugs on apps like heaven benchmark, with terrain textures blacking out etc, the only app(game) I (barely) run (Minecraft) using openGL, works like a charm. So I'm pretty satisfied even about openGL on this set. One thing I feel like reinforcing again is the fact that somehow (yey!) your 5.10s dont have the slightest input lag, even vsync on wont break the game. And for me that's pure GOLD. So that u have an idea, I run crysis 2 maxed out and never fall behind the 60 fps WITH vsync on and no triple buffering at all. I DO LUV U MAN =).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  18. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    And another thing wich is making me baffle is this; I've realized after reading some post on this same thread about AA not applying correctly etc. And I thought:" that's right, I allways use to feel (more) mouse lag or sttuter to some degree with AA on (i'm extremely sensitive to that), maybe I'll mess around with the filtering and see what comes". Bang, I don't know if it's placebo effect or what but after asking a friend of mine to test it on his HD5870/cat.11.7, I'm pretty convinced: AA block filtering is somehow messed up so, ie: if u go narrow tent x2 instead of block x4, u'll probably get a much more fluid performance and even prettier AA. In the end the amount of samples should be the same. The way it comes out is defenitly not, for now I have much more control over my input devices and more fluid graphics when playing a game. Sorry for the long post, thought I should drop this here and see what reactions are like, if any. Thanks.
    P.S. 11.8 THWL is out now.

19. robolee

robolee Member

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX 570 4GB
    Using Single HD5770 and TwL 5.10 Driver>AMD 11.8 preview.

20. pixoide

pixoide Member

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    That's what I'm saying. And probably the same with the oficial release. I'm not touching my settings anymore unless TWL kicks something out. Anyway I'm allready a super happy gamer right now. I'm playing modern games at full setts with good performance with an hd 5850 in late 2011. (That must have not been in AMD's plans, xD). I mean, WOW.