AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, It build that DX patch to people here to get little less stuttering on DX10-11. It won't hurt to test it before going to next driver + I know it will kill
    the idea of stuttering as much as it can under 10.9a. It's not very ideal in any sense because original 4.22a has totally another style of optimization. Hell, it
    may not work for BF:BC2 very well, but that is not really an module issue it's the driver itself. I am atm, running test build now here under new edition
    v4.22b. I will update it up soon enough.

As for 4.70 well, it just feels really good build for even single cards as I was testing it for CrossFireX same time I tested it under single card setup.
    However, that build is still using the same driver and as said problem is in the driver.

-edit-

I will be since I now know how the new 10.8/10.9 series work be re-punctuating the v3.95 as v4.22b. I tested just 5 minutes ago and I can
    now confirm that 10.9a driver was the core issue on everything.

-note-

Heh, I was relooking on v3.95 (looks like history will teach us). Seems, back then I've clean hit the nail in the head. My current notes on optimizations and
    new stuff there is resamples v3.95 exactly. It does what I couldn't do with the v4.22a I build up from new drivers. This is really curious as this means
    also that new CCC editions and profiling is involved under degrading gaming speed.

We are gonna be using OLD profiling (or no profiling at all). This new profiling seems to be the one which does really damn nasty damage under several game speeds.

-UPDATE - v4.2x HD5 drivers-

Ok, found solution. New driver will be uploaded today asa I've rebooted 2 times now. Newdriver will 100% sure be based on 10.8 WHQL and it will be based on v3.95 build with current understanding of of ATI driver team versioning.

As I said we are missing 1 full driver here we only have 3 out of 4 and 10.8 WHQL is the last of it's breeth.

-UPDATE - v4.7x CFX/EyeFinity drivers-

This driver will not be updated for the moment being. I will update a bit better concept here next on processing and this takes a bit studying. Could
    use one of you guys to check me in. When I finish building so that I would know I am on right track.

-UPDATE - v1.0x HD4 drivers-

I will also update v1.08 build to reflect for HD4 and improve it's optimization. Driver WILL NOT change, but I WILL NOT build an patch. I will include new
    cleaning systems and other new stuff under new edition v1.12.

Also this build will be added as 'expermental' most likely as I will not perform any testing upon it as I don't have the hardware to do so. However, my
    current notes/understanding under new builds is begin to be really good level. So, I believe I can build this now blind.

In General:

Looks like there was few mixed variations by ATI originally (which I ain't surprised) which originally since v10.8 started to drive to wrong direction.
    Got now pretty good idea where I took the wrong turn and will correct them on corresponding drivers for each hardware setup.

As it's weekend now and no party on my windshield think we get some serious stuff done, if I just can get couple things tested while building on different style system setups.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Is the new drivers going to be direct x 9 focused? ..... :D

3. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    @TwL

Can you go back to more modular *.cmd?
    Like:
    Essential_Softwares.cmd
    Cleaner.cmd
    This_Driver_Install.cmd
    Winsat_Assessment.cmd
    PreviousLinked(CompleteInstall).cmd

So we could use only specific parts of newer drivers release with older drivers?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Von Dach

Why? and no..

Why should I you can use any part as previously with current cmd. You can cleanup only by simply closing the window when it comes to 'INF Selection'.
    I didn't build it to work with old releases. If you need an update use the cmd from v3.99 extras only. That is the last v2.xx/v3.xx build clean-up there is.

@commonly

Uploading now currently build v4.23 A and B.

* Driver is based upon v10.8 WHQL.

Difference in build comes from CCC Panel:
    -Version A will use much faster CCC 10.7a CCC panel and lags the support for 'Internet Video Enhancements'.
    -Version B will be some what slower but it again uses CCC 10.9 CCC Panel which again has support for 'Internet Video Enhancements' and this build is probably faster, IF you have CrossFireX system.

Known Bugs:
    -Overscan bug is at drivers however I disabled the automatic enabling of overscan. hoping maybe this might prevent the issue, but doubt it.

Other Changes:
    - I did rebuild 1 new section to our install we have now 'backup' (of single card setups modules) and new CrossFireX 'data' folder which now will override the installer files to have better support for people with CrossFireX.
    - Also since original v3.6.3 we now have option to skip clean-up of saved 'Gaming profiles'.

+++ No one should update Application Profiles under Single Cards under ANY circumstances to either of the builds.
    +++ CCC Panel installations are unique. Choose before download do you wish to go to 'new' or 'old'. Updating later with out clean installation will degrade performance.

5. enix89

enix89 New Member

GPU:
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870
    Hi TwL, excellent work on the drivers. i was wondering

Do we need to disable catalyst AI for 4.23 too?

6. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Downloading the newest now. I love driver updates.

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Not anymore.

-edit-

The new ones comes with setup specific profiling editions which is worked through before actual driver installation for Cross-/Tri-/QuadFireX setups and single card setups differently where single card setups now utilize the last build which was for single cards only and CFX again utilize the absolute latest profiling.

Updating 'Application Profiles' from ATI website however isn't recommended.

How the hell could you download something what wasn't even up while you were writing that message. :3eyes:

@commonly

I included now setup specific AppProfiles with CrossfireX support modules now on new builds.

I just updated the new now 4.23a-b on first page and also wanna note that on 'game specific fixing' we have now again an 'StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty'
    patch, if someone is playing this game here. use the patch or lose the AA. :3eyes:

I finally think we now might have all setup styles (exception of HD3/4 cards) driver up on first page, if someone wants to test the build under HD4xxx I
    suggest you choose the Build v4.23a you should have better chance with that. However, HD3/4 driver is coming up as soon I finish it. This v4.23a-b
    took quite a bit my cuts out to be build and tested in this time frame, but it is pretty insane driver so it's nice to build something what was really good for a change from 10.9a. :biggun:

NVIDIA hybrid configurations note:
    The release v1.01 is exactly the same except the OCL patcher I corrected few lines since it was really fast build edition. The new one now has clean
    folders and better backup handling of OpenCL modules.

In other words update is not needed, but you might wanna dl it just to get cleaner pack to work with.

8. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    Running 4.23b, WOW. Short blast on BFBC2 and I'm a bit taken aback at how well CFX looks on this. Very solid and smooth panning, the fps only seems to flicker around 70fps + or - 2fps. This is DX10 maxxed settings on 1920x1200. Very impressive.

Performance seems to improve after a short while, it's like the game starts to reach a state of equilibrium with your rigs setup. I'd say I'm averaging 5fps more after 15 mins play than when I first boot the game up.

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, it's quite an driver.

But you are wrong the FPS will actually just go lower (than 10.9) the DX core is weaker in purpose as that was the only way to defeat the complex DirectX
    processing. The drop itself is not that noticeable as it's very fluid. Which should now work on games like BF:BC2 really smooth (or at least on my monitor).

Ideally there is still somewhere something that will drop the minimum quite low (nothing like extremely low), but there's something. Also there's clearly
    something on loading DX10 might be that the DX core driver doesn't love when it's being boosted up a notch, but all in all I cannot find any real flaw in
    gaming all the 'suspects' above are from benchmarks not real gaming and I assume this driver should be able to deal with Codemasters F1 and I did test
    on Valve Half-Life 2 here a bit seems really good.

-edit-

o and 'increase' you mention, this driver comes with really fast error correction, if there's any the speed will boost as soon they are learned.

10. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    @ TwL

Kinda Confused :S
    I installed the v4.22 yesterday
    Now v4.23a and v4.23b are out
    So considering my Config <<
    wich one should i go for ?
    help plz

11. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    So i have double hd 5870 and i want play sc2 and bc2 what's best driver for this?

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, 4.22 was as best I could build against 10.9a.

I'd say, if you want internet video enhancements go with the 4.23b, if not go with the 4.23a as it's faster. Your config is very good for either of the builds
    just a question do you want to have an extra feature or not.

I know this came up on fast phase sorry on that, but I had to change the direction because the 10.9a provided absolutely no where to turn to. It
    simply performed bad in the end. the new 4.23 builds are based on v3.95 which was known to be very very good build in all sense and it will not
    change in couple days unless ATI now makes the 3rd driver branch available in public (the one I was saying we are still missing).

You want the v4.23b and when playing SC2 you wanna patch the setup with the SC2 patch. Restore the setup to original state to play anything else.
    (This would be ideal. Of course the CCC provided on v4.23a is faster in single cards I don't know, if effect is same CFX.)

I am sorry, but the modules used to provide SC2 AA support sucks and I will not stick them on the driver. So, patch is the only ideal option I can provide
    there (although, even while patched the CFX should still work for everything pretty damn flawless).

@commonly

All testing, any game issues or other noticeable stuff (Loading speed/issues) would be interesting to know
    (I remind everyone I do not have the equipment to test everything even half to that matter).
    So, information is welcome! Also I would like to say that 'testing is everything'. The time you guys/gals use to install
    is so so little (which is less than 2 minutes per a driver installation/clean) comparing for me to finalize. :pc1:

(Just an though... If I ain't entirely incorrect. Just as an 'guess', I believe there will be an official 10.10 preview driver up
    on some point build against same driver we are current now using.)

13. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    I don't care about aa in sc2 so nope.
    Man i tried them in bc2... lol 10x better than the official drivers.. omg you are great.
    Now i only nned to test for ctd in game, i hope if there are we can patch them.
    Very thanks

14. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Damn I must have gotten the older one -_-

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, this driver itself is a bit another league. First of it's clean DX10-11 driver. However, since 10.8 was patched better this thing works like a charm on DX9 as far I can see.

@commonly

Perhaps we should have some solid driver archive somewhere. You guys wouldn't believe the amount of drivers build so far. :)

anyone coming awake now.. There's new driver in page before this one.

16. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Okay thanks bud :D
    I dont care about internet video and **** lol
    Jus want better gaming performance , so v4.23a it is :D

17. rainandrea

rainandrea New Member

GPU:
    ati 5870 Tri-Fire
    hi guys. i've been lurking on this site for about 4mos checking/Downloading the famous drivers of TWL, all i can say is that your driver is so D**N cool your work is so far ahead than the official drivers. i'm no proggy myself but if there is anything i could do to help (perhaps a tester?) please send me a pm, ill be glad to offer a hand.

18. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    Hey man i'm using 4.23b so i need to install application profile from ati ? and sb drivers? if yes what versions?

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Help is always welcome. These CFX more specifically more than 2 GPU and perhaps EyeFinity are really troublesome while building without equipment.

nope, I do not recommend installing Application profiles at all. Use the one my installer recommends and adds for crossfirex. As for South Bridge drivers. yes,
    they are always good to be updated on AMD motherboards as they bring general stability prior to GPU driver installation and chipset drivers always goes before anything else.

hope this helps. :3eyes:

20. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    I played like 15 minuts at bc2 and i had ctd... tthen retry and i take another crash to desktop in 10 minuts.. i try to low the memory clock about 50 hz?
    Anyway they are very good drivers, i think i will elimitate crossfire