AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    No it would not. DX 10 uses DirectX 11 modules.

I really don't care what 'other people says' nor do I give a damn what ATI recommends.

Yeah, but it's not my fault how badly ATI builds their drivers. The fact is there has been in entire HD5 card history only 2 kind of drivers. Either DX9 or
    DX10-11 I just made the work closer together from the begin of this thread.

and this would be an processing through incorrectly issue. Happens when you combine 2 "incorrect" drivers together and try to make them work.
    Probably been on some builds of mine hell no ones perfect, but I doubt we'll see these errors in the future here. As for now 4.70a might have this issue.

Nope, asked this from Spyre on Rage forums. He said even while there is an options they don't mean you can 'extract' the profiles. Yet, another ATI
    idioticy for not allow people edit their profiling. Although, NVIDIA doesn't even allow disable the profiling.

Speaking of profiling you need to restart catalyst to disable or enable the Catalyst AI.

@commonly

I will add an BF:BC2 driver up later today because I really am starting to get pissed off by people snapping on this game 24/7.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. raz0r-s3k

raz0r-s3k Member

GPU:
    5870 Vapor-X
    imo its always better to have more options, so a dx9 version wouldnt hurt. in my case i dont care too much about offline performance of games as its basically always good enough, but for the games i play online (mostly still wolfenstein enemy territory :D and cod4, rarely new games) i wanna have stable drivers with constant good fps. i guess people would agree that it cant be of disadvantage to have more options, this is of course only if it wouldnt be too much work for you, the drivers as they are now arent too bad ;)

3. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    YES YES YES YES OMG YES!

I 100% support the making of a direct x 9 and lower driver! WHOO!

"Each and every one of you deserve a medal!" ~TF2 Soldier.

4. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    I'd be more than happy to have separate dx9 and dx10/11 flavours. Only problem now is the CFX threading issue effectively x2ing these dedicated dx9 and dx10/11 builds.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I copied atiapfxx.exe and atiapfxx.blb to their own folder.
    Then I used CMD to get to that folder and executed following.

Code:
    atiapfxx.exe -r -b atiapfxx.blb -o
    Result is a 508KB atiapfxx.log file, which should be the complete editable profile file.
    At least that is what it looks like when you edit it.

I didn't figure how to convert it back and get it signet.
    Probably need to remove the checks and start/end of the dump too.

Regarding Nvidia drivers, it is possible to delete the profiles from the xml, used to minimize it and made sure all copies where alike.

6. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    BF:BC2 is just the most intense, frantic multiplayer gameplay you can ask for. It is also the most demanding game for hardware, you need quad core or you won't max out your fps and get lag (network and visual). So it's quite normal that it should be a performance/quality drivers test reference I think.

:mad2: You seem a little mad today, thinking about becoming american citizen? :smack: :no:

Code:
    BF:BC2 Fraps 3.2.3

genetix_hd34v108-x64 (HD4890 Single card) Smooth
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
      7914,     60000, 107, 175, 131.900

genetix_b422a-x64 (HD4890 Single card) Not so smooth, I get jitters
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
      7818,     60000, 102, 172, 130.300

7. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    Having the driver split would be great for us HD4XXX users... I´m sure many of us would greatly appreciate it.

Most games that allow you to choose between DX9 and DX10 I choose DX9 anyway most of the time, so I really don´t think it matters much if DX10 sucks if DX9 is good... just my opinion.

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    That's not an issue, the the builds are separated as we do know what threads CFX correctly in DirectX 9 as well as 10 and 11. Bad news on this subject is no driver will do both at least with any decency.

Ideally v4.70a and some builds like 3.90a were more or less 'luck' in my part as I had to test them over network. There are some desktop core modules which
    will allow in an DirectX 9 driver an DirectX 11 modules to be used and this way we can get DirectX 9-11 threaded, if we mix this concept in an idea of
    what is optimized to DirectX 9 and 10/11 in game wise we get an combination of 'as good as it gets on DX9 driver DX10-11 processing' and pretty decent
    DirectX 9 CFX functionality, if processing is straight up on top of this. We get pretty good driver.

Thanks pretty cool. Last time I checked I just got crash and no output. Seems this works on new ones.

Just pisses me off when ATI build maybe 2-3 drivers total 1 set to be even compatible to this whole title. No other drivers will even process BF:BC2
    correctly and people here expects every driver to work with this ?

as for the "BF:BC2 is just the most intense, frantic multiplayer gameplay you can ask for." <- I've played the game through ones was enough > next. As
    what goes to 'multiplayer online' I believe Kaspesky Labs should add new unmovable firewall rule > any game attempting to access internet should be denied including DirectX. :)

but then again just an personal opinion on 'Online Gaming' in general.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Standard way according to the help should be
    Code:
    atiapfxx.exe -r -b atiapfxx.blb -s atiapfxx.xml 
    That only crashed on my end too, guess they changed on the switches without updating the help prompt.

10. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    BF:BC2 is one of those games that if you play it all the time then it is best to stick with a driver that works. The problem is the game gets "patched" or ATI release a driver with "improvements" and all hell breaks loose. - well maybe just a little bit gets out

We all like to have nice drivers that work though. :) I can't help but try a new driver from time to time, in hope that it will fix my crappy monitor performance or a new game I've been playing.

Thank god for TwL and thank you for your time. ;)

11. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Trying new drivers is rather addictive. I know I should stay with a certain set...but I'm out of control.

Sorry if I annoyed you TWL with the BF stuff, I was just trying to be helpful in some way.

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    BF:BC2:
    Well, there's 2 clean drawing drivers from ATI out to BF:BC2 neither actually can process crap and there's 4 drivers out which again can process faster, if mentioned BF:BC2 driver
    would be build it would not work for DX9 and would absolute be forced to be build under v10.8 WHQL (10.9 doesn't even have a chance). Ideally DX core
    driver would be the one which has minimum load time(Most likely that would be either 10.6 or 10.8b5), followed by same 'driver branch' other modules(10.9a?) & tweaks and that all would had to be the most
    stable (highest version) of DX10-11 driver with latest CFX modules (because otherwise I would get another section of people saying 'this driver doesn't work for me').

I tested the idea here a bit further under past hour. Seems pretty ideal start would be from 10.8 WHQL and continue that with 10.9a and some magical
    mean make it fluid(NONE of mentioned mods here are anywhere near each other) like stick there a bit 10.9 WHQL as processing mods would do the job.
    However those most be really close tight together to minimize the 'jump' and as I said this is VERY restrictive with GPU memory clock. It's even 5Mhz over
    the flawless and you can say goodbye to flawless processing in-game and welcome the screen refresh jump (hench my advice on -50Mhz drop on clocks
    because speed is not an HD5 issues nor under DX10 HD4 issue the smoothness of the game is).

If there would be / is any easy fix for whole 10.9a v4.22a currently up I will patch it, but I was planning on adding v4.22b beside it which would process
    DX11 slightly faster under some driver which actually was build for the purpose.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  13. sivis

sivis Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 (950 Mhz)
    Oh yeah, these guys are so cool that you need to read their mind to get it what the hell is happening to their software.

14. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Hey TwL ,

Thanks for all your effort man :)
    I installed 10.9a (v4.20) yesterday and today as u released a patch to v4.22 , I installed that aswell.
    Everythings running just fine , but the IDLE clocks thingy is still present :(
    I dont use msi afterburner / rivatuner to overclock my 5850 as am not into massave oc'ing and stuff
    am jus happy with maxing it out in my CCC ie 775/1125
    but the idle clocks stay 400/1125 and that rises my temps to 55/60+ on idle :/
    I tried editing the XML file a million times but no ****in use and it just stays the same
    Please help me fix this issue :(

Thanks

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Make profile on something to push clocks to real 5850 stock and it should drop. Although, might be since this design comes with another sort of VRM
    that even this trick will not do. o and it still ain't an bug it's just multi-monitor profiling. Considering how much ATI has issues on these modules not really
    surprise that they are building other things.

@commonly

I was able to correct the BF:BC2 a little, but I can say even officials are absolutely horrified drivers. Even the 10.5a (just wanted to see what people
    are saying to be an 'good BF:BC2 driver') or well I've seen better while modifying. The 4.2x sets were optimized a bit differently maybe to overcome
    the idea of issues in all gaming more than specifically to something.

I will most likely add BF:BC2 patch tomorrow for v4.22a and, if not finish straight up start to build v4.22b which will be build upon totally different
    driver as said seems 10.9(a) will not do in the end. sad as it would of correct the overscan bug and it feels pretty good driver the earlier 10.7a used
    just was better. :bang:

16. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    Man for single card solution your drivers are great for bad company, the problem is the crossfire, it's there ctd come.
    And anyway the official sets are worst for crossfire too.
    10.6-10.9a have this issue.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Even cooler is them always claiming "we don't use exe detection profiles" ..
    guess what, there is more than only profiles for in it :3eyes:
    Would be possible to make Nvidia alike automatic user set profiles via CCC too, if the damn encryption/decryption could be taken out completely.
    Just use regular XML and its done.
    That's another thing I have seen ATI developers say that they are unable too do, but automatic detection is already build in!
    All this secret bull* doesn't help us, neither does it help ATI.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    @TwL
    v4.20 performs better on dx10/dx11 than 4.22a, which has small stuttering issues.

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, I know.. or actually it does a bit another type of errors than the 4.20 did. It's funny how small things can affect the whole picture, but working on it.
    Sad news is on DX11 I tested every damn mod since 10.4a and none of them are good. As for removing larger stuttering, no problem can do that.

btw, mind testing the other build 4.70 on single card. I mean that is based upon the last decent ATI modules after the 3.95. I was looking around it and
    it was a bit jumping on processing, but it still was one hell of an driver.

@commonly

Gonna do quick fix tested on 4.22a and move on to another driver version.

Patch DX for v4.22a:
    http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/6410745/file.html

and next up will be another driver series.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Will test 4.70 tomorrow, how about the DX patch for 4.22a, should I test that too?