AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    Afaik IL can both use DX and OGL.

2. slamdunk1973

slamdunk1973 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1gb VaporX
    installed the experimental "c" version last night and absoultely rock solid in BC2. FPS still 40+ even during busy scenes, GPU usage only 60% so going to up the AA and try HQ AF.

another great job by TWL.

3. superkid.net

superkid.net New Member

GPU:
    mobility 5730
  4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti

5. hafiqb

hafiqb New Member

GPU:
    XFX8800GTX (625/1500/1000)
    Thanks to TwL for this driver set. Am using the set 4.7 for crossfire setup and I am really very happy with it.

This is after trying to finally upgrade from 10.5 to the newer sets using ATI's official drivers but really wasn't happy and now this. I have played so far Crysis, Dirt2, AvP, ME2 and I have to say that these drivers feel very smooth and fast compared to ATI's own.

Amazing that it takes someone who does not even wok for AMD/ATI to bring out a fantastic driver set.

6. sivis

sivis Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 (950 Mhz)
    Got a question here. I am on 1.8 right now. What is best build for SC2, BF:BC2 and some dx9 games like Mafia 2 and Dragon Age? Is it 4.70b or something else, maybe older? I've got not only 4870x2 but 2 monitors. I was always quite annoyed of how to interpretate x2 cards - as full CrossfireX or some kind of(Damn! I hate you, ATI software development team) ?
    Thanks in advance.

7. superkid.net

superkid.net New Member

GPU:
    mobility 5730
    hmm... will start it... But i posted it here so that it might help twl develop/mod drivers in future..(especially for mobility as they were better than 3.95)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @superkid.net

First of I do not 'modify' official files like DNA does. Have set strict rule there that no files inside actual catalyst are to be modified in any shape or form from official files.
    Second I 'May include mobility support', I have stated hundred times here that none of the drivers are meant for mobility devices. Mobility chips cannot take it when true
    optimization when it's done and for third I do not use other people work to build drivers (exception of using official files which is also someones work).

I know the idea behind DNA and their style of tweaking is quite a bit different than mine. They do shader, texture and buffer modification, I don't. If you wish to tell me some
    drivers are better than mine then use them. I am very sure there's lots of 'better' drivers out there, but I still do the work as I see it the best.

@commonly

Perhaps, I should return to tweak the 'better' CCC instance and optimize that further. Just tested yesterday on the little older drivers and it would seem that they go much
    higher and more stable than any of the new ones. However, I will be trying to work with 10.9 WHQL even with the Overscan bug because actually 10.9 WHQL is whole another
    story than 10.9a.

9. VIPet

VIPet New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-1024Mb
    That is, it is possible hopes, what switch-off of check of an adapter, will be, probably, is implemented in upcoming versions of your drivers?

10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    It will not be implemented on drivers. I do not do modifications on any of the driver packages to files.

If I can fix it, it will be provided as separated fix beside the driver.

11. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850 DC V2
    when can we expect your new 4.2x build TwL?

Thanks your drivers are god sent!

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, it took me today 9 hours to run benchmarks of 9 different drivers against same base on system. So, as soon I get the full results and figure the
    configuration on processing in full I will update it. I am unsure of today as I am running out of smokes and that usually pisses me off. :3eyes:

I already did made quite an progress as for benchmarking (I mean now true compare with out profiles, any kind of none sense tweaks) as benchmarking
    takes incredible much time like decent hacking. I can see a bit light in end of the tunnel now as begin to little by little to
    understand more of the new drivers and what they are mixed from and how I can utilize them better. :pc1: :biggun:

-UPDATE-

Alright, found the solution in v4.20 and it will be updated, asap. It took one hell on an period to find it, but I finally managed to break the chain and drop
    an 1 second error correcting combination up here. Which no official nor mod will do This will also process clean in all sense so should be good.

Will take few hours max, but I am gonna test one more theory in here I have, if I could speed up the actual drawing little further on lowest drop there is under DirectX 11.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  13. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850 DC V2
    Nice, it's amazing how much work/effort you put into these drivers man AMD devs should be ashamed, waiting for your new release I now it wil be a rock solid driver.

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Actually, I found now 3 options we can use. Seems as there has been 4 usually we are still missing one version, but got here a bit dilemma probably gonna add all 3 up soon enough,
    but it's a bit later than said above. So, not gonna add anything unfinished up today wanna see before I upload would there be an better option as when ever I make the driver now
    process like 100% clean the speed drops in benchmarks, but in real life gaming again they work like a dream. I got few sets now where speed is stable very high, but
    weird thing is they do not perform the same while added to test. Needs some installations to verify result.

15. starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD 5770 1 GB
    Allright.
    Will need to get around to trying that.

Thanks TWL.

16. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    You're work is amazing Twl, seriously. I'm in Awe at the dedication you have (even whilst out of smokes!) to creating these masterpieces.

On behalf of all of us here at the Guru3d Forums - thank you Twl, you're work is very much appreciated and I think some people are a bit quick to criticise and don't realise how hard you've worked and the amount of time you've spent which you could have quite easily to just never bother to do - because of you we have some seriously rock solid drivers which is one of those things that people always say "ati's driver's suck!" "don't go ati, the drivers will let you down!"...which they do..and they have, but you've changed that for a huge number of us.

You rock man! Keep up the great work.

17. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    :

thanks TWL for your hard efforts on these drivers, v4.20 is awsome on my hd3870.
    but i ahave a problem on my hd3870, the mosquito noise reduction and de-blocking funtions under Videos are grayed out and i cannot enable them.
    can you help please

18. superkid.net

superkid.net New Member

GPU:
    mobility 5730
    Hey i was not comparing the drivers.. I personally love ur drivers on radeon cards( desktop)... btw keep up the good work !:banana:

19. OPmind

OPmind Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1024MB
    Hi there!
    I've been lurking around for quite some time and finally decided to register.
    First of all: Great work TwL! I've been using your drivers since the 2.91 version and they all have performed well on my system.

Right now I'm using the HD3/4 Final Build v1.08 with 10.9 profiles - updated them by copying the two files from the app profiles installation folder into my system32 dir and reapplying your profiles registry fix, so that I don't have the ati app installed - hope that's right.
    Yesterday I briefly switched to the official 10.9 driver to check it out and noticed a +5% avg FPS increase in CS:S (my DX9 benchmark)... However, being used to absolutely stable FPS (no jumps at all) provided by your drivers I quickly switched back! The difference is more than noticable.

I would like to thank you for reminding me to update my chipset drivers and give other intel users a tip. I downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from station-drivers (newer than on intel's site, which I had) and installed them. However, when I checked the device manager I saw, that the drivers were not updated at all. The ultra-fast updating process made me suspicious. SO, TO THE POINT: Just make a shortcut to the setup.exe file and add " -OVERALL" parameter. This forces the program to update the drivers, which equals doing something useful for a change. Doing just that gave me a HUGE performance boost - 25-30%... Suddenly I can play SC2 on Ultra-High (no AA) settings and MW2 maxed out with AA enabled :)

20. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    Don´t mean to hijack the thread or anything... but is anybody playing F1 2010? I only get about 60% usage across both GPU´s (DH4850 crossfire). I am running 10.9a with newest CAP (supposedly include profile specific to this game). Unfortunately I have not had time to test TwL´s newest package to see if it makes a difference...