AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Riva Tuner and CCC show me the exact same temperatures, same as with previous drivers.

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I wonder, if anyone would care, if we would lose some FPS, support for SC2 AA in cost of absolute clean processing. I found a way to make the processing
    very fluid through 1 of the 10.8 builds. partially like on 3.95 was used, but even further pressed up. Sad thing in this is that it loses some 'highest' FPS and I
    cannot use DirectX Driver from any of the new releases to do this. Of course DirectX 10-11 would be new, but that's a side matter to this.

What I am driving with this is that this would be really nice bottom line driver to use with anything where we would be able to get near issue free environment on 10.8->10.9 CCC and not continue the v10.7/a-b/10.8/b5/6/b/10.9/a none sense what was started.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    Depends on the definition of 'some FPS' I think :)

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    well, it's -2-3 FPS on DirectX 9-11 slower with absolute no cuts/jumps or anykind of drawing errors.

5. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    Yes, I would love to use that driver! As I've said before, the loss of a few fps is no sacrifice at all if in return we get no jumps and smooth fluid gameplay.

I would also love to see the AA option in-game for SC2.

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, I am testing one right now using 10.9a baseline because I know it draws correctly. I got 2 FPS increase actually on this now on DirectX 9. Have no clue on DX10-11, but DX10-11 drivers are new as long base is clean the rest will follow.

-edit-

I'll dump some experimental set here call it v4.20a in few. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Agreed. I'm already forcing 24xaa on games for the fun of it. It would be nice for it to be fluid.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    As most already stated, max fps can be sacrificed for better stability between lowest and highest fps.
    The closer those 2 are, the more fluid game-play can be expected.
    I even think current 4.20 goes far beyond my 60Hz V-Sync, since the card seems to get 5C hotter when it is under heavy load condition.
    I wouldn't have anything against a decrease in max fps if it can smooth up the game-play.

9. And0r

And0r Active Member

GPU:

Dude your awesome :banana:

10. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Can't wait to give that one a go! I grow weary of strange hitches, though few they are.

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Ok, public vote wins..

I build 3 builds under same condition now and here's the builds descriptions:

Experimental (Zero error tolerance builds) v4.21a-c:

None of the builds are bad they are all very usable. Selection of which driver to use depends on usage. Ideally BF:BC2 would most likely work fastest on build B while game could run cleaner with Build A and for example DirectX 9 games (disregarding SC2) all DirectX 9 games would run fastest and cleanest with Build A while SC2 would need either Build B or C and probably run smoother with Build B, if you run an CrossfireX best idea would be the Build C over any case Build B might work, but none of the builds are meant to be run with anykind of CrossFireX setups.

* All Builds baseline driver is v10.9a.
    * All builds are fixed with new cleaner/Installer v3.6.1 so Application profiles are applied now correctly.

-Build A: This is the fastest of 3 with most fluid processing & over all very good driver using NATIVE 10.9a DirectX 10-11 & 10.8b6 DX + Processing. StarCraft 2 Anti-Aliasing is NOT support.
    -Build B: This is an very close attempt of creating same effect of Build A slower driver DirectX and processing is based on 10.8 WHQL with NATIVE faster DirectX 10-11. With StarCraft 2 Anti-Aliasing support kept.
    -Build C: This is same as Build B with exception this build uses closest possible DirectX 10-11 driver TO the 10.8 WHQL creating very good result in processing through in high FPS and on extreme CPU/Memory stress. With StarCraft 2 Anti-Aliasing support kept.

Links:
    Build A:
    Experimental Build v4.21a - 32-bit / Experimental Build v4.21a - 64-bit

Build B:
    Experimental Build v4.21b - 32-bit / Experimental Build v4.21b - 64-bit

Build C:
    Experimental Build v4.21c - 32-bit / Experimental Build v4.21c - 64-bit

These experimental builds will not be uploaded to another server do not ask. They may be added on first page, if people prefers cleaner drivers instead of v4.20 before I get the
    'Final Build' back in the clean order and processing truly faster to attempt to create something even better. Ideally I am still 1o5 with 10.8-10.9 driver series I have some
    understanding on them but since v10.7a I have more and more lose track which I am gaining, atm. You need to understand what you 'have' before you can build clean-up ATI
    Driver Team didn't make it very easy with 10.8 WHQL and onward.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  12. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    I'll try Build B with Starcraft 2 whenever this download finishes.

13. DarkSilver

DarkSilver Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForceā„¢ GTX 670 JS
    I would like to test out the v4.21a due to it's superior performance.
    I am not using AA for my SC2. So, it ain't a problem for me.

14. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    gonna try c out seen as though i play alot of bc2 also checked out dragons age and i might as well wait for the ultimate edition to come out which includes all dlc and expancion packs,

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Downloading Build A.
    Will test tomorrow when i get my new mobo and memos

Thanks for the excellent work man!

PS: As a side note. If ppl want speed but AA on SC2, just use RadeonPro.

PS2: Also, i just saw you are some kind of "legend" at NFORCERSHQ.
    Dind't noticed till i saw (again after 2 years) your name there in the nForce IDE Driver cleaner xD

16. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    @ TwL

Whic set recommend to play Battlefield BC2 and Dirt 2, i only play this tow games right now

Bye and thanks for all the effor u put in every new build

17. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @MerolaC

Well, I did there so many months of benchmarking on nforce 430 and multiple other nforce boards 'Fernando 1' most of kept me in books(wow, seems his moderator these days there) and later on added
    SoundMAX ADI and RealTek sound driver sections and did a minor testing on NVIDIA network adapter drivers on nforcersHQ, but they changed the forum
    style and I really dislike the new forum styles which made reading and writing clean really hard. So, didn't do much after forums changed.

@commonly

Just wanted to give you guys a bit options which to try and while at it some clean builds where there's no attempt to create an miracles, but simply use an 'good driver'. Ideally when I have an issue with an game here these are the kind of stable builds I use for testing new games. Also to show in real sense these 3 packs that there's an huge difference between 2 of the driver modules we are using there. That is the turn point when 'maybe working' turns to Jimmy Hoffa.

-edit-

hmm, if someone missed the post on experimental builds. It's RIGHT HERE from last page. Let me know how they go on.. Shouldn't give much of an trouble.

18. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    these experimental drivers are meant for single card users though right? not crossfire + physx users like myself?...

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yep, they are for single card users only. They are missing crossfirex mods, but I tested today one HD4 CFX I think I can improve the 4.70a quite a bit.

20. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    I'm running 4.21a's and they are still excellent for all they have no crossfire mods in place. Crossfire has been very good with official drivers since 10.8 on both Dx9 and 10 so I thought I'd give these a blast as they are the most stable.