AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 11.5 CAP2 (May 19)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I wouldn't say having both GPUs at 100% is a good thing. When we had problems with RIFT it was due to both GPUs working at 95% load all the time which decreased FPS drastically. But this problem was fixed when Trion patched AFR into the game (and something more maybe).
    I don't like RadeonPro...adds flickering to a bunch of games (Rift, Bulletstorm, Defense Grid, Crysis 2)...but I guess I'm forced to try it out to be able to play Witcher 2 :( A single 5850 is too weak to run the game at 1920x1200 Ultra :/

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    GPU SHOULD Work at 100% if everything is working fine and game is optimized well.

If game has low fps (below 60) and GPU isnt utilized 100% , means engine is badly optimized or you have cpu bottleneck ( which is rare case these days).

3. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    Netherwind what should I say... it uses a single core out of 4 that my 2x6990 have.... still getting 50-60 fps with everything maxed out but come on....

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    GPU shoud work at 99% otherwise the GPU bottleneck the CPU.

5. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    well cpu bottlenecks due happen actually even on new hardware, my second 6990 doesnt make a difference in games and benches unless the cpu is at at least 4.5ghz and every 100mhz after does a Big difference in fps for me.

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Might be true , depending on what ress you play.

But man you have like 3 times my processing power!.

100% GPU usage is good thing , not a bad thing.

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    There is always a cpu bottleneck in your case. You run 4 gpus for 1080p ( I assume) even 1 6990 is overkill for that resolution.

8. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    hehe yeah it is in most cases but its nice to see metro 2033 cap at 120fps;)

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Thanks for the headsup, didnt know radeonpro works with witcher 2.
    Wich profile do u use?

10. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Active Member

GPU:
    7970 crossfire-1125/1575
    Nope, this doesn't enable CrossFireX in Brink. Thanks for sharing it though, oh great asder00.

This could be the CAP that requires the 11.5a RC3 drivers, as mentioned by @CatalystCreator

11. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Dirt 2 and AFR :)

12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Doesnt work for me. at 1600x1200 low spec I get 52fps and at 2560x1600 ultra spec (ubersampling off) I get 41 fps :3eyes:

13. adolfotregosa

adolfotregosa Member

not true !! e.g. if your computer can output 100fps with 99% gpu when you enable vsync at 60hz your gpu utilization will not be 100%, more like 60% !! get it ??

i can't understand why people want gpu always at 99% when it is not needed..

14. No_LiMiT

No_LiMiT Member

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    AFR with either dirt or compatafr makes it unplayable due to flickering, it's really bad, and if vsync is off it will basically flicker so much you'll go to seizure. It does however increase fps :/

15. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    lol i wud have thought that if only 50% of gpu is being used then its a good thing cuz only 50% of the gpu's total power is needed to run that game or app.. I'm in Second Life now and it only has a 40% gpu load.. i guess thats why i can be in SL and play a game at the same time without stressing out my card cuz it can handle both with ease.

16. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Thanks Asders.

BTW- for some reason I always read your name as Anders and imagine you look like that mage from Dragon Age 2.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Khalam what should I say...your system is high-end mine is mid-end. See the difference?

I guess you might be right...it does make sense. I was merely writing that due to all the fuss with RIFT.

Exactly *yikes* So...why don't some guys get flickering but others do? I read somewhere about windows screen colour profiles or something of the sort. Could we straighten this out once and for all?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    ya seriously, multi gpu flickers are usually objects/textures/actual game things changing every other frame

if the brightness of the whole screen is flickering, then that's rarely part of the game (except in some cases where the game has HDR & a sudden change would have the 2nd gpu being slightly behind, you can see this in GRID i think)

19. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    can someone upload to another site? i always get downloadlink expired.

20. red1776

red1776 Member

GPU:
    4 x AMD R290X quadfire
    It will remain that way while you are running 1080P, You are 'resolution bound' The system is much more CPU dependent at lower res.
    1080p is 1080p weather its a 24" monitor or a 46" TV. if you go to higher res, you will see much better performance. I run 4 x 5850's at 5760 x 1080 @ 1010/1215 on a Eyefinity landscape and it performs almost identical to what yours would if you raised you res to the same. ( I have built the equivalent to your system) 6990 x 2 is way overkill for a 1080P setup. Get some more pixels for your setup and it will perform much better. BTW, it will also outperform a GTX 590 x 2 setup at higher resolutions as Radeons change from AFR to supertiling and the memory/buffer works as pool/shared memory allowing the GPU's access to all the memory, rather than the SLI AFR method that only allows each GPU access to 1.5 Gb of memory.