AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 11.11 CAP3 (December 7)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Dec 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Yeah he does have a valid point. My bro has a 6990 and it runs like sh*t and he also uses 120Hz monitor so pretty much you'll be noticing the lack of frame rates. In town get 80+ then move an inch and 40fps.. some dungeons running at 5fps. So while he can play most of the game at decent frame rates, he gets turned off at the fact that getting the best isnt always going to give you the best experience. Yes the 6990 does negative scaling, you'll get performance worse than one 6970 and the new performance drivers messes up textures and gives off flickering.

It does suck when you have dual cards or a dual gpu card and they give the "disable crossfire" as a "fix".

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290x OC
    This seems kinda of pointless.

MW3 and Saints Row 3 DX9 runs on most systems very easily.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    ...just for rendering a Java Control Panel window properly we need a CAP now?

Anyway, thanks, asder...as usual.
    Didn't realize it's your thread when I didn't see that favorite big grin green smiley of yours being put in the thread's title. :p

4. GrandMax

GrandMax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    This is so false.

The single CPU thread used by that game is at 100%. Add 4x6990 cards if you'd like you aren't going to get more FPS, hence a lower performance. Your cards could allow for better scaling but the CPU can't follow.

That is a shame to release Skyrim in such a state. The game is great otherwise. Also, I hate the vanilla textures.

5. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    Not on my cards and is the first i have read of such a problem.

6. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Okay I see. I guess the threading is an issue. Yet still, you'd think if you keep crossfire enabled you should run 50%/%50 if you had a dual card set up and run at the same framerate of 60 fps like a single card that is running at 100%.

Instead, if I don't disable crossfire, I get 45-20 fps that are stuttering all over the place unless I alt tab after every cell loads or a quick save.

I don't understand why people post that game scales in crossfire if it's utilizing both gpu but runs drastically worse. That does not seem effecient. At least I never read that on the back of the box. "Use more gpu power and while seeing no benifits! "

Granted, it's only skyrim really. BF3 is quite satisfactory.

So Yes, for Skyrim, just disable crossfire and run 1 gpu if it works, but yet I feel a bit cheated by the fact that I have to leave the other gpu's idle. Totally not ideal. Especially when the vram probably would be useful for while texture modding.

I forgot where I was going with this. Sigh... back to Solitude stuttering.

7. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    Best to point to the page in question as i had to read the whole review twice to find what your on about which did not help with your saying hitching, when its about lag on explosions.

I personally don't get that lag on explosions and it may not be a bug at all and maybe down to NV having a more powerful geometry processing.

Some of us AMD users may just have enough spare geometry processing with Quadfire at a given resolution for it not to be an issue, i also Vsync which saves more load on the GPUs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    i shall install these, i don't have any of the titles mentioned but if somehow they freakyly improve skyrim through pure chance then its worth it.

9. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    looks like amd are giving up on skyrim all we get is one "pretendo fix" that just pretends, lol amd think we are all playing skyrim seamlessly with no probs, well they already lost me as a customer over this.
    In january im getting a gtx 580.

Here you get what i mean
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=355385

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290x OC
    I have no idea what you mean

Maybe buy a new computer?

11. Aioras

Aioras Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Sorry guys, at this moment running the 11.12beta 18 Nov plus 11.11 cap3 there's no single game I can't run with my CFX setup like a charm. It's annoying how people get different sort of problem with similar setups and the same drivers too...

12. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    Skyrim is just another port. I would not fix it if I was AMD too. It is the game makers their responsibility that they make a decent game. Or does it work well on nVidia's SLI?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Wait. If Skyrim is CPU limited, would forcing it through Radeon Pro, or through a config file break the limit.

14. spyre

spyre Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6990 and 6970 TF
    No It would not.

15. Tmax

Tmax Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870 Crossfire
    I did try CAP3 with my 5870 CF set up with the 11.11C drivers. I did notice a slight improvement with ultra settings. I have a 1920 by 1200 monitor. My 5870 fans run full speed when I run BF3 on ultra.

16. mysteriomp

mysteriomp Member

GPU:
    5770 CF
    Ya Skyrim is CPU limited!!!! AMD hands are tied.

Bad console port is too blame.

Turning shadows down to medium will increase your GPU usage 10 fold!!! Has something to do with the devs making too many things cpu dependent.

17. sausje

sausje Banned

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD6870
    You know that it doesn't matter how many cards you got, the actual vram the game uses is just from 1 card, not 2 or 3...

18. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    You will notice an improvement in skyrim, sli or crossfire don't really help, and a single card solution would be faster (cpu is feeding 1 card, not 2, skyrim is a cpu intensive game). AMD can't find broken game code, skyrim is a console port, a very good port, but a port none the less.

Seems so many people want to jump ship, but really don't have any idea whats happening, or that the other side of the fence is having the same issues. :bang:

19. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Screwed my BF3 performance (with 11.12beta 18 Nov) and can't find a way to restore it.

Guess I'll have to delete the settings folder once again, and reinstall the original cap.

Thnx though, Asder.

20. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    all good here with CAP3 and with 11.11C drivers ..........:)