AMD Catalyst 8.86 (Win 7/Vista x86/x64)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 4, 2011.

1. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver Staff Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    It is signed by ati, sign date is May 25.

2. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    i mean when you install "driver" windows ask for confirmation about unknown driver...that's the reason why many drivers causing bsods to many people...

3. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti TUF
    so are this drivers stable on mobility 5000 series ? :)
    My brothers comp laggs when playing HD movies Mkv in power dvd 11 and mpc!
    and he using mobility 5850

4. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    Your brother is a moron. Laggin with video files. What is this, 2002 again? And MKV is not a video, it's a container. If you brother doesn't know how to playback h264 video then he's a moron. That crap should only be taking 10% of his CPU at most and if he's using DXVA, well again, moron. DXVA should be burned and forgotten.

Hardware accelerated video playback is a joke. Either way, your brother if he's going to use DXVA with MPC-HC should learn to use google. DXVA playback with AMD drivers have been working fine for nearly a year now.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

5. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    use vlc 1.1.9 with any driver...it will always be the best out there...stable-safe

6. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    Best out there for morons. So yes it's probably good for the brother. Ironically VLC's mkv splitter is terrible and probably the worst among them. Doesn't read mkv ordered chapters etc properly. But whatever, keep thinking it's the best out there, rofl.

7. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti TUF
    okay! yea i know! xD
    so which driver do you use?

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    It's pretty stable, and in my case the mouse lag is also fixed.

NEVER user PowerDVD, seriously.
    And if by 'MPC' you meant the original release, scrap it.
    Use MPC-HC instead.
    And uninstall every goddamned 'codec packs' he might've installed, because MPC-HC doesn't need it since it has its own internal filters that decodes just about everything.

And avoid VLC at all costs.
    While MPC-HC is like J-Lo as in slim and fully-featured, VLC is like Oprah, as in bloated and you don't need everything she promotes but you'd still take it anyway.

9. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    good for brink? and blops and what not?

10. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I'm really confused. Honestly, I've had so many ATI cards, Nvidia cards, since I became an enthusiast back in like 1996/97. I had a few issues, granted, I was only in the 5th/6th grade, building PCs through trial and error and self-teaching, but even then I've never had driver issues like I see some people having. Seeing people get these gigantic issues from just uninstalling improperly? Things like that, I just cannot fathom, I simply cannot believe that something I've done thousands of times without so much as a minor problem can cause a huge avalanche of problems for someone else.

I've done driver installs/uninstalls thousands of times, every different way you could imagine, with programs that help, without, every way you can think and I've never once had to deal with any of the issues that most people claim are "common". How can these issues be common when people who have a combined PC experience of 200-500 years cannot reproduce such issues? When you think of the thousands who buy these cards, only a small handful on this one forum have these issues. I've searched all the major forums, most people just post more than once, so in the end you have to wonder actually how many people are having major, major driver issues. When you really break it down, realize how concentrated the rate is here because afterall if your card works you wouldn't be here, so once you take it all into account, you can realize the magnitude of the issues, and why they take so long to fix, because they are completely uncommon, and almost impossible to reproduce for the most part. ATI has to figure out the correct hardware/software combination, in which there are multiple millions of different combinations, ect.

They could after all be like nVidia, only fix the major issues if they can, while sweeping the smaller ones under the carpet, or disabling hardware as a fix, ect. ATI does not spend millions and millions each year on marketing like nvidia does, so ATI only has reputation and their hardware to rely on, whereas nVidia relies on their money to convince you.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Don't get me wrong when I was commenting on the BSOD, I acknowledge that this is a beta driver and should be treated as such. I think anyone that expects a true beta like this one to be fault free to be a noob, its Beta there are no guarantees! Doesn't matter if it is AMD, Nvidia, or Realtek audio, etc! The difference with driver is they have low level access to Windows. If a program has a bug and crashes you get the crash report etc., if a driver has a bug and crashes you get a BSOD.

Most of the time issues relating to BSODS are quickly found as its quite obvious when they do the internal issue if there is something as serious as an instant BSOD, however if its an issue that occurs only in certain circumstances then it may only show up with proper testing.

Nvidia are the same when it comes to BSOD potential, their drivers have far from being fault free both now and in the past.

Released drivers are virtually always crtitical error (such as BSOD) free ONLY because they have been properly tested. I'm not complaining about the fact that there is a BSOD issue in certain circumstances because I acknowledge that the driver is beta and therefore not guaranteed to be crash free. Remember a BSOD is just a low-level (such as display driver) crash! Anyone with issues with the driver can't complain about such errors as they too by installing it acknowledge that it is a beta driver and that there are no guarantees attached to it. They can only comment that they have experienced issues with the driver, like I have. Acknowledging that there are issues as such means the AMD driver team can actually investigate whats causing it.

Going around calling people noobs because they have experienced a driver crash on an untested beta doesn't help anyone. Heck, Microsoft should release Windows 8 tomorrow as its in beta stage, and obviously therefore it will be crash and error free right? What about releasing Battlefield 3 tomorrow, surely it will too be error free, afterall they are beta testing it!

Whilst on the topic, if it were a signed driver issue then everyone would be experiencing the same error, not just some people. Test mode is not needed to use these drivers properly. You can enter test mode in Windows 7 (even with Sp1), you'll just have:
    Test Mode
    Windows 7
    Build 7601
    (7601 for SP1)

in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop. Its enabled by configuring 'testsigning' through Bcdedit. Regardless of this, it has absolutely no effect on these drivers!

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    My last comment wasn't having ago at your comment :) I actually agree! which is why I wanted to highlight the nature of the drivers as beta. A beta driver is a whole different issue, and most drivers we've been privileged to haven't been real beta's. I have no doubt that the driver team actually have encountered the driver crash with these drivers, meaning the next driver should be all good :)

I suspect the instant crash may be related to the updated Direct2d driver, a component which hasn't been updated for a while (anyone trace back how long the 1125 build has been around for the Direct2d component)? The OpenGL crash someone experienced could be a separate crash, someone who is unaffected by the Direct2d issue. The Direct3d component could be crash free!...

13. edigee

edigee Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 960/GT 820M
    In that case he can also use Mirilis Splash Player(Lite is free). DXVA with just one click. It's like you're getting Megan Fox for nothing.

14. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MPC-HC is free, uses DXVA by default, and only ~5.3 MB (64-bit), ~4.9 MB (32-bit).
    Megan Fox looks sexy but can't do anything else.

15. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    You're right,she is sexy and also a little bit crazy but id still take her and j lo at the same time. Can keep oprah though...she doesn't rattle my dangle.

In all seriousness though,ive still got mpchc installed but im currently running pot player which i like to refer to as jordan ;)

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I always used the latest builds of mpc-hc (there are 'daily' builds available from a couple of places), disable the internal decoder filter for h264 and use the latest builds of ffdshow instead. The purpose of that is so I can use the ffdshow spline upsampler resizer (with manual luminance and chrominance sharpness) to 1920x1080 for hdmi out to a tv. I then apply some new shaders which probably will eventually be incorporated into mpc-hc:
    1. RGB to Y'CbCr for SD&HD video input for floating point surfaces
    2. special 4÷2÷0 to 4÷2÷2 intermediate Catmull-Rom spline5 chroma up-sampling
    3. special 4÷2÷2 Catmull-Rom spline5 chroma up-sampling and color controls for floating point surfaces
    4. [16, 235], [16, 240], [16, 240] to full range for SD&HD video input
    5. r=5, sharpen complex, deband and mild denoise
    6. semi-random grayscale noise (modified for a reduced strength factor)

In MPC-HC also enabled 10-bit RGB output, force 10-bit RGB input, Full-floating point processing, color management, and d3d fullscreen mode (for the tv).

Now that combination trumps any other for me in terms of picture quality! VLC quite honestly looks crap when compared to that.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That thing looks positively crap compared to almost anything. =b
    Even WMP 11 when coupled with ffdshow + Haali Media Splitter is more serviceable than VLC.

Thanks for sharing that custom ffdshow config, though.
    I usually also disable MPC-HC's internal filters to try out ffdshow-...uh, tryouts, at times, but not to that extent; will give it a whirl later. ;)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yeah requires quite a bit of fiddling around when it comes to using those shaders, but the result is well worth it :)

Alternatively you can use ffdshow's deband, sharpen (say, unsharp mask) etc but the result isn't as good as using the shaders from:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?r367kbp7p9but

keeping in mind the add noise filter I think is way too strong, but is adjustable in notepad.

The MPC-HC there though is a very test build, the 'daily' builds of mpc-hc from:
    http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/
    or
    http://xvidvideo.ru/

would be much better for normal use.

19. sapphire88

sapphire88 New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6850 CFX
    hu everybody! just a quick note:
    mouse lag isn't gone, it have been moved to the upper left screen space, try in the desktop to move all the icon from the upper left part to the center and to move quickly the mouse from the top center to the upper left corner and the mous will have problems... ;)

EDIT: don't move the mouse slowly from the center to the corner...

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Does this happen regardless of the mouse driver being used? (Windows generic, Microsoft, Logitech etc). I have a Logitech mouse and haven't noticed any issues with mouse lag whatsoever in any of the drivers...