AMD Catalyst 8.85 (April 19) Win7/Vista/XP/Mobility x86/x84 (Mod)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    no idea, never get this problem or i don't search in the good place.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think picture quality has improved over the older 11.4 drivers. I think the new Steadyvideo may also do a good job, its hard to tell with what I just watched. I do believe it is smoother though.

Points to note:
    - Still uses the non SP1 2010 runtimes. I feel its a little 'slack' they haven't updated!
    - 32 bit apps can't run x64 exe's or dll's (they can run through x64 drivers, thats different). Likewise x64 apps can't call 32 bit exe's or dll's. This point is important because ONLY the x64 OpenCL, AVIVO, and WMVdecoder are installed by default on x64. In reality, both the 32 bit and x64 of each of Opencl, AVIVO and WMVdecoder needs to be installed.
    - The 32 bit OpenCL, AVIVO, and WMVDecoder can be installed separately, but to install a newer version you must first run the OLD installer, and click on uninstall, and only then are you allowed to install the new one.

TIP:
    If playing video back on a tv with some form of motion compensation (typically only seen on 100/120hz or higher TV's) I wouldn't use SteadyVideo :). A lot of LCD tv's are shocking when it comes to motion though, I'm guessing this should help a lot with those. Then again, a lot of people can't see video shudderness and flickering, it seems some people are more attuned to that than others. Also note that the refresh rates, such as 600Hz in plasma is marketing trickery, its really the equivalent of 200hz in LCD.

Also, keep the video settings in the CCC low, don't be over-zealous with the edge-enhancement etc!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Text seems to be better with the new driver, not sure how though, but I'm certain its better!

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    have u put the amd external service on manual start?

5. Kimofil

Kimofil Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire HD 5970
    How do you install them on 7955? Via control panel or install manager?

6. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I am going to wait for the official 11.5 , i just did a fresh install of windows 7 the other day , don't want to mess anything up lol

Not sure what the problem is, but are you talking about when you view these applications your GPU core and memory goes to full load?
    If so, whats the problem with that? Your GPU is working.

So the latest win8 build works with the catalyst drivers , even after restarting your computer?
    I remember the older versions would give me a blue screen of death after i restart it.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    OT

does win 8 has no registry and an new file system ?

8. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    No, it has nothing new, it's early build, but they working now :nerd:

9. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    How is this done? no go with 11.4
    compatibility mode?
    change 6.1 to 6.2?
    wddm 1.2 to 1.1???

10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Wait I am confused on installing the 32 bit OpenCL, AVIVO, and WMVDecoder.

So basically, I have to unpack the drivers and install the 32-bit 32 bit OpenCL, AVIVO, and WMVDecoder (uninstall old ones, then this versions).

And THEN install the regular 64-bit drivers since using the new installer will only install the 64-bit versions OVER the old drivers, but leave the 32 bit OpenCL, AVIVO, and WMVDecoder alone?

I am on 11.4 preview still.

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I just encountered this problem for the first time but think I know where the problem starts:

Using Opera but it is Java related - goto website with a Java app - game in this case.

Game/Java app downloads, I log into "game" in the browser, all my cpu and gpu core goes full power at 100% (4 cpu cores, 2 gpu cfx). I close the browser but it still goes 100%!

I open task manager and I see a Java process still active. I force close it and all cpu/gpu cores goes back to normal.

The thing is, if the Java is not a 3D game (browser or not), no crazy usage. If it is a 3D app, it makes all of my cores run at max and even closing the browser may not stop it - runaway java app.

It is probably BAD Java programming than driver issues since this is the only type of case where it happens for me.

Even Unity 3D Web Browser based games (Intersteller Marines) closes gracefully when I close the tab or browser.

12. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    thought you had defected to the green team general :)

13. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    But I'm saying is this really a bad thing in the long run?
    I would think when using any program it goes into 3d mode, unless you go into 3d mode when just looking at your desktop, that could be a program, but when running programs, things are suppose to run. I know when i use Virtual Dub, my core hits 400, while the memory goes to 900, temps at 40c.

Anyways, hope things works out :)

14. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    The problem happens even when opening a simple video file (a sd .avi for example).
    i'm monitoring the gpu clocks with ati tray tools, and the card goes crazy, constantly switching from 150/250mhz (gpu/mem) to its 3d clocks (810/1250)...only for a simple video file.
    I've disabled flash acceleration, and dxva on my players (vlc, mpc)

It's not the heat that concerns me, it's the power consumption

15. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    that is NORMAL for 6xxxx series cards.

does it for me aswell

for instance playing bluray movies my clocks will jump from default to 720/1250 clocks
    for games 950/1400 clocks and for mkv file videos 500/750 clocks
    and for anything else video related it will jump up and down from 250 to 750 to 680 to basicly anything lol

its all normal. its what ati call adaptive load balancing.

16. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    here's what I have when playing a video (standard avi file, not hi rez) in fullscreen:
    [​IMG]
    I don't find this normal for a simple video file

I posted about this issue ( a more detailed version) here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3974061#post3974061

17. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well i can tell you now that its normal for the operation of 6xxx series cards.
    all of them do it, and only you seem to be complaining for no reason as its not harming the card its called and i will say it again, LOAD BALANCING.

18. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Well it's just that my previous card was one of the first HD 4870 (sapphire 512mb, reference cooler, without cooper backplate etc...the first version of the card), wich were really hungry in idle mode (because the mem frequency was at its highest even in idle) , and I had to create "games" and "idle" profiles to make it work properly.
    So I tend to be a little worried about that :)

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Max clocks is not normal when watching videos, my 6970 doesn't go to max clocks, only goes up to 500mhz on the core.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  20. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    6990 4GB Triple Eyefinity
    Does your video player use DXVA or 3D surfaces ?
    I found these options in MPC-HC, maybe this could be the answer.