AMD Catalyst 16.6.1 Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by jaju123, Jun 6, 2016.

1. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Watercooled Vega 64
    I was quite looking forward to having a new one, to be fair. :) This 290 has lasted a very long time indeed.

Can't see it being hardware though, it's been fine since I scrubbed the driver. (Good 1 - 1 1/2 hours gaming)

2. THEAST

THEAST Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7950 + HD7970 CF
    I always add the profiles manually. In fact, in many occasions I have added a new profile just to disable CF, which usually doesn't work. I have to correct my previous statement a little bit, though, disabling CF in a game profile sometimes seems to works, probably only for games which have very good CF support. The only such case I have experienced so far is GRID 2. If I disable CF in the profile of that game, the second card does not even wake up from ULPS sleep when I launch it.

There are also cases in which disabling CF in the game profile has the opposite effect; i.e. it fully enables CF and has correct scaling, while setting it to AFR or 1x1 does not!!! I remember another member reported this about one of the batman games. I also experienced the same thing with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic which completely crashed with CF enabled but was fixed in one of the 16.1 drivers and then the above scenario happened!

3. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Guys, how is the overall experience with AMD drivers recently? Thinking to have a nice RX 480 and just keep nvidia on the DX 12 promised driver.

4. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070
    We have game ready drivers on every release.
    Doom and Wolfenstein runs like sht, but those are OpenGL games so... if you know the famous AMD support and this API...
    Hope things will change very soon, at least on 480X. Hell, it's new architecture.
    I'm almost 3 years with 290X, last 15-18 months can remember a serious issue with Wasteland 2(inventory bug - driver bug) and Black Mesa(shadows on all AMD Hardware - developer mistake).
    But man... 290X it's a hungry card. The noise is relative, because I have Windforce version.
    I also think to buy 480. If the 1070 price is bad, I'll get another AMD card :wanker:

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Just go with the best card you can get on your max budget. AMD DX11 drivers are worse (usually), but not by that much lately.

6. tiganho

tiganho Member

GPU:
    HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 256BITS
    3 months, and nothing new driver for those using HD6000 .... Thanks AMD
    Anyone have any news? Finished support?

7. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    6xxx was moved to legacy back in december.

i wouldn't expect any more drivers at all except fixes for OS updates.

if you get one, thats a bonus

8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Ha! That was me that reported it lol. I am curious now, I have not played Batman AO for quite a few driver versions and should probably give that a test.

But how strange that even with you adding the profiles that it does not work. Since I consequently have to disable crossfire all the time anyways, this work around has worked for me pretty well so far.

Maybe one of these days they will pull through to victory with their drivers.

9. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Sounds already better than nvidia drivers lately. We got all kind of sht issues. Last time i had to spend 2 full days to recover the insider windows because of the nvidia driver. All kind of flickering and youtube playback issues, top of that crash many times , black screens after install, improper use of clock speed with 144hz displays. and so on. . Kinda enough now. Not to mention the promised DirectX 12 driver to Fermi almost 1 year ago and the representative just ignoring our questions. :D In the next 3 builds what is just coming up right now, will be intel or amd. Will be some SFF.

The worst thing is, i have to maintenance couple of rigs with nvidia cards but i refuse to install any new drivers because of the time what i have invest to fix the upcoming problems. If you guys are better with the latest driver , i don't care about -10 fps , i am good to go.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  10. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Don't even complain. Fermi suppose to have DirectX 12 driver back in 29/06/2015. We still don't see any sign of it....

11. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    funny how everyone points a finger ... yet the people who do, seem to know full well what RLD! is...
    are you telling me you know this because you buy all the latest books about the game cracking scene and study this in your free time?

oh the hypocrisy...

12. needlesnout

needlesnout Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 77xx
    I count myself as lucky that they rolled a few Crimson betas supporting them after they announced they were done. It was a nice late life tweak for the work machines, the older systems benefit the most from getting rid of CCC's .Net bloat.

13. The Creator

The Creator Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    Actually CCC is still there. Some settings are missing in Crimson so the driver still uses old "mini" CCC for them.
    So now you have double bloat. Crimson - over 300MB just for driver! :D

14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    I think there is no CCC process running until you actually start it (which is usually needed very rarely, if ever). Current CCC isn't that slow for me, btw. unlike Nvidia's old crap panel (however, Nvidia's game profile sorting stuff is still better than of that shiny Crimson UI).

Current driver is okish for me. Corruption in Firefox (meh), scaling options not working and FRTC probably is a bit bugged too.
    Games are running fine. Hope Polaris release driver will be interesting.
    I switched from a 980 to a R9 390, it's really not terrible (anymore). With the 980, I had p-state problems with madVR NNEDI3.

15. wwwmagnottait

wwwmagnottait New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7970M
    and Windows 8?

Hi!
    I've a Windows 8 OS (NOT 8.1), I'm trying to install one of the catalyst driver, because the standard one doesn't work with DOOM (gl_arb_clip_control not available error)

...but I can't since seems the driver works ONLY for windows 8.1

How can I do? Is there any catalyst driver available for windows 8 that can make DOOM works in my system?

Ps I've an Intel i7 and a Radeon HD 7970M video card (I've a notebook)

Thanks!

16. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

exactly.
    CCC.exe and MOM.exe are only being called if you open the "Radeon Additional Settings" in RadeonSettings.exe (new CNext-GUI).

as krawall says, it's not really bloat in the kind that it takes up runtime resources when it's not started. and speaking of disk space... those are ~50MB inside the CCCSlim folder. you buy one .FLAC album off of bandcamp and you get 3x that size...

the only criticism is that it is a dirty solution. but its emergence is pretty obvious... and looking at the latest 3-4 drivers we know it will be all integrated into CNext step-by-step (i.e. crossfire option in one of the last updates...)

17. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070
    Try this http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399547
    or direct this:
    https://mega.nz/#F!8tlAhDyQ!2AkAQukJKAYuIWEzDTGtFA!g4tTiZ7A
    find newest Open GL dll and place it in doom folder. I think it's 16.6.1.zip
    Should work

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  18. Sinean

Sinean Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1080TI AMP
    Finally flicker issue is fixed for my 7950. Bye bye crimson 15.1

19. jeff69dini

jeff69dini Member

GPU:
    evga 2gb gtx 750ti
    you can use any 8.1 driver under 8.0 with no problem! I have been doing this for ages and it works fine!

All I did was download the latest Windows 8.1 driver from AMD, extracted it from the .exe it comes in, went to Packages\Drivers\Display\WB6A_INF, and in the .inf file in there, went to the line that said:

[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.3]

and changed it to:

[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.2]

So I rebooted, disabled Driver Enforcement (this is very important or it will not install properly), and installed through Device Manager.

works a charm!

20. needlesnout

needlesnout Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 77xx
    Yeah, that. Before Crimson it would load at login time, which didn't make older systems too happy.