AMD Catalyst 16.1.1 Hotfix Released

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Did you read my post?

TAA can't work fine with CFX...or SLI.

HBAO is an Nvidia feature.What do you expect using it in a pair of AMD GPUs?

2. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    New here, but I disagree. Never had any problems with my titan blacks in SLI with TAA enabled. And actually, with CF enabled and TAA running, performance doesnt noticably change---it stinks with TAA or FXAA or 1800p VSR (no AA). I even tried forcing Morph AA in the Crimson controls, and it didnt make a notable performance difference.

But, thankfully, game is much smoother with one 290x running instead of two. With a 4970K I can put all settings at max (yes, even God Rays and HBAO), as long as I limit tesselation to 8x in the Crimson Control panel, and its pretty smooth @ 1080p with one card. Two cards, even with yesterdays corrected drivers, its pretty much unenjoyable with the hitching and sync issues.

3. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Just like my experience. AMD crossfire experience with this game is subpar.

4. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    CF is not working at all with FO4 :confused: also the same issues with clock dropping and custom CF profiles.. Some do work, but for example Fallout3/NV, UE4-games won't apply AFR or any other custom CF predefined profiles. Not much patience left anymore...

Hmm, UT2015 works, but perf. is terrible with AFR, along came an update of the game so maybe that the reason for the poor perf.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't think you need to be "old" in here to disagree. :D

I don't say TAA don't work at all, it's simply produce worst result than TXAA becuase TAA (Temporal AA) relies on previous frame for the AA and working crossfire use AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering).

PR explained it here:

I use the new drivers and Fallout 4 with my 290X CFX and i have 60 fps locked 99% of the time INCLUDING CITIES.

1800p VSR (60 Hz 1080p monitor here)

Using mods AND shadow boost setting 60 FPS as limit in shadowboost.ini and 62 FPS in RTSS.

GPU usage is very high on both GPU (80-100%).

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Fallout 4 CFX is working fine now with the yesterday drivers hotfix for the refix, take a look here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=403772&page=32

Shadow Boost and VSR or at least 1440p res is needed to help the DX11 API overhead and raise GPU usage on CFX.

7. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    I dont use shadowboost, i did try it once but it bothered me how I had to dump shadow detail/distance on my AMD setup to use CF, but it works pretty good (no shadowboost) with one card?

"I don't say TAA don't work at all, it's simply produce worst result than TXAA becuase TAA (Temporal AA) relies on previous frame for the AA and working crossfire use AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering)."

Hrm, I didnt really notice a visual quality difference, but then again, I dont think I ever tried disabling one of the two Titan Blacks and comparing TAA with and without SLI. And FXAA definitely looks worse in any situation--trust me, if it gave even comparable results to SLI TAA, I'd use it and gain the couple of extra FPS.

But honestly, I really dont think the hitching issues are due to trying to use TAA on CF---like I said, I tried with FXAA and then with just 1800p VSR (no AA) and there was really not much of a difference performance wise.

Remember though, I use God Rays pumped to Ultra, and shadow distance maxed. I think you disabled yours, if I remember earlier in this thread?

Basically, I went out of my way to put the exact same graphics settings on my SLI'd Titan Black box and my CF'd 290x box. With the maturation of AMD's drivers, I'd imagine that although the titans had a large performance advantage earlier in their lives, but by now, I'd think the 290x CF setup should provide roughly the same performance.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yes godray disabled but im thinking in add them back now.

This game is asking far more from CFX than SLI setups.

Remember DX11 API overhead peformance in Nvidia drivers is STILL AT LEAST 50% better than AMD and this game is specially bad optimized in the API draw calls to CPU.(he is asking to draw things you can't even see)

Add to this HBAO and godrays and you will understand easily that Nvidia SLI have a clear advantage over AMD SLI.

Let shadow boost a try.Nothing to loose here.

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Shadow distance increase the amount of draw calls alot and it will create a huge CPU bottleneck in some areas (mostly in cities). AMD cards are bottlenecked much harder by this, because of the bad CPU overhead performance. Your Titans should perform much better in those areas.

I know that sammarbella seems to say that using a higher resolution gives you better performance, but i don't think that's what he means. If your GPU usage is low, you can increase graphic intensive settings (like resolution) to put more stress on the GPU. This way, none of your GPUs power goes to waste and you can increase the graphical fidelity of the game.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I can't said it better, you know me very well.

Hopefully your English is WAY better than mine. :D

11. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Kinda makes sense about the DC, but I do find it somewhat perplexing that using CF would cause more of a single threaded DX11 draw call bottleneck, when a single 290x runs pretty well with max shadow distance (and certainly none of the hitching, etc with CF on).

Unless say, you have to do twice the number of draw calls when using 2 cards, in that single DX11 dc thread. Does AFR require you to do this? (im no expert on AFR rendering tech)

The VSR doesnt really help me, even with 1800p (no FXAA, no TAA), the jaggies are still pretty prevalent (vs using TAA with a single GPU). And like I said, the hitching was still there when using CFX and VSR, which is why i didnt think TAA-with-CF was the major cause.

Honestly, it seems that the best solution for FO4 on AMD cards is single GPU. Since the 1.3 patch noticably increased performance on single AMD cards, it runs pretty well now.

12. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    No, as far as i know the amount of draw calls per frame don't increase if you use more than one card.

So if i understand you correctly, you are getting much better performance in CPU bottlenecked areas with just one card?

13. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    It seems I had the ingame HBAO+ on with the SSAO/HBAO in reshade+enb :D I only use the one with reshade (mcfx-shader) and it's working now.

Thanx, I will take a look at shadowboost, but I believe the enb has also a memboost, so I have to make sure they don't interfear with each other, and I think I GPU limited anyway.

I/m running Grim Wolf Institute ASD, with reduced texscale, 0,5 anyway or it gonna crawl @4K;) and it is a nice buit heavy.

14. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    any idea to change the memory clocks without lock-memory-bug when touch the memory on radeon settings?

15. THEFOOL

THEFOOL Guest

GPU:
    [​IMG]
    AMD Catalyst 16.1.1 Hotfix
    R9 380 4gb
    XCOM2 18 fps

16. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Yep. Unquestionably. But bear in mind that I'm using settings that apparently nobody else here uses---maxed God Rays, HBAO, TAA, and maxed shadow distance. No Shadowboost or other mods.

Still, as long as I limit the tessellation to 8x using one card, its very playable, couple of hitches here and there, but much better than with CF enabled.

17. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    XCOM 2 on max settings is VERY demanding. It has nothing to do with either AMD or bad drivers. I get anywhere from 25 to 50 on max settings. It makes no sense running it on max though. Drop down the ridiculous 8x msaa and if that's not enough disable the AO too.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I think you will not like to hear it but CFX users who get good performance now (driver with CFX support at last) in this game don't use these settings because they are not optimal.

At least now you know that what you are trying to do in CFX with 2 290X (or any AMD GPUs btw) is not going to works as you want.

The settings you use in a SLI setup doesn't work well on CFX setup in this game.

If you want to see a better CFX performance you need to make changes in settings and use Shadow boost and then you will have an OBVIOUSLY better CFX performance than single AMD GPU performance.

We can't change DX11 AMD drivers performance or HBAO performance on AMD GPUs.

19. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    About the VRAM usage again: I made a quick test with Star Citizen, and set the "r_TexturesStreamPoolSize" to 4 GB, and ran around a little bit in the Hanger:

[​IMG]

Was using >700 MB of system GPU memory, when the VRAM was full. Unfortunately the hanger is always very choppy for me, so I don't know how much of it was caused by system RAM latency/speed.

Edit:

That was max. about 3900+/768 MB.

And I made another one with 512 MB texture stream size:

[​IMG]

Max. about 2400/120 MB. This definitely had much more texture pop-in, but a little less choppy.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I finally figured out how to bypass the artificial blocker in the driver package.. now I have the full thing installed with Crimson Software included on Windows 8 Original~

Made a certain someone in this thread look like a right tool... seriously next time dude learn about what you are talking about before attempting to talk about it.

[​IMG]