AMD Catalyst 15.x Win 8.1 MOD (15.200.1018.1 April 1)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vinyl, Apr 19, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    @ObscureangelPt

Try to do what i posted a few seconds before your last post, maybe it will solve your install problem. :)

Edit: Edit to reply your edit. :D

It's strange your card should be supported.

2. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Yep, anyway can you answer if you felt improvements?

3. Vbs

Vbs Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    It's because you are not forcing the driver install.

1) Right-click Microsoft Basic Adapter -> Update Driver Software...
    2) Browse my computer for driver software
    3) Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    4) Have Disk...
    5) Browse... and select the .INF on the correct folder
    6) Your GPU model should be correctly selected, press Next and proceed to the install. :)

4. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    It worked. Thanks..
    Altough i've been testing and unfortunaly no improvements on CPU Side or overhead on DX11 i think.
    I used GTA V for it, but i will use 3dmark Overhead test to confirm it :)

Altough things looked a little more smoother in performance, not sure if it was placebo effect, but i hope not.

5. vinyl

vinyl Active Member

GPU:
    6870(OC) @ 975mhz
    Glad you got it working... VBS was spot on. I just assumed you already used the "Have Disk..." / forced install method. On second thought, I might be the only one here from the Windows 98 days where that was a common practice! Sorry about that oversight!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  6. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    In the name of Science I will do this for you. Just benched on Win10 so let me install win 8.1

(was going to do so anyway to try and diagnose my GTA V crashing issues.)

Edit: Windows 10 Valley Bench
    [​IMG]

Windows 8.1 Valley Bench with 15.4 drivers
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  7. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I benchmarked the 3dmark Overhead API with the 15.4 vs this 15.200.
    And i got +10K on the draw calls per second on each ST and MT DX11.

Its a very small improvement, thats why my GTA V didn't improved that much :)

Altough i hope they keep improving.

8. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    Just for fun I installed the 15.200 drivers on Win 8.1 and it did fair better than the 15.4 betas

[​IMG]

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    There is a very small difference between 15.4 and modded driver from your results.

Maybe comparing 3-5 runs wth each drivers gives a stronger conclusion about the real advantage of modded drivers.

10. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    I ran the benchmarks 3 times in windows 10 and 8.1 with the 15.4 drivers and posted the lowest and highest of the three.

I will run the benchmark with nodded drivers a few more times.

But your right it is a very small difference, but a difference nonetheless lol.

11. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    for a driver version update inside the same release (15.x) it's a rather big improvement

edit: i tried this benchmark now too and i must say i am quite content with the results.

[​IMG]

running a x-fire configuration of two Sapphire R9 270X 2GB
    on a phenom II X4 955 @3.9Ghz with windows 10 TP build 10041
    and the newest windows update drivers (15.20-wNxt-150401a-180730E-ATI)

not bad i guess for a mainboard/cpu that are 5 years old

welcome to value town :cheers:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  12. Vbs

Vbs Master Guru

GPU:
    Unfortunately, most of these benchmarks use clueless statistics to report results. Min and max framerates are irrelevant and the mean framerate is only relevant if the standard error (of the mean) is also reported. Not even a standard deviation is reported. Sigh! :confused:

13. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    yes min and max are irrelevant...
    especially "min" because a single stutter due to any instability will give you just for example a 10 FPS min value instead of a 25 FPS min value.
    so these are pure cosmetical information.

but the average fps is a pretty good orientation value as it is the cumulative average over the whole test.

and i guess the test is also designed to keep your rig busy at almost all times...
    so the deviation are kept as low as possible. there is not really any longer sequence where the FPS are exploding very high due to less stuff going on onscreen, as well as no real sequence thats so intense that it kills your FPS down to a long time minimum. those min and max values are mainly taken from timestamps when the scenes are switching.

3dmark is way more unbalanced and jumpy FPS wise...

14. Fenric

Fenric Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    Hello,

I followed your steps on Windows 8.1, unfortunately my system completely locks up during the install just after the display flashes. I also tried vinyl's version in the original post. This is with a Sapphire 7970 Ghz.

I could use some help figuring out how to clean up the files from this. As someone mentioned earlier, DDU can't clean this up, and I can't reinstall my previous drivers. The installation finishes but it still says it's a Microsoft Basic adapter. Also my second monitor doesn't work.

15. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    What install?

You have to right click on "Microsoft Basic Adapter", update driver, choose manual, choose from hard disk, find the folder, there's an INF file as soon as you double click and click next you should see 7900 engineering sample. Then click next, wait for it to finish, restart and you're done.

The details above might be vague because I'm typing this with my phone. I'm not on the PC.

Also I used DDU and reverted back to older drivers and came back to this just fine... There might be some extra files laying about but they didn't affect me.

16. Fenric

Fenric Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    This is exactly what I did. Like I said, I have no idea what could be wrong.

Ran DDU and booted to safe mode, and let it clean up the old drivers.
    Set the advanced boot options on, restarted, and disabled driver signatures.
    Went to device manager, to generic adapter, update driver, let me choose, have disk. Pointed it at the .INF file. It starts installing, the screen flashes like usual when you install display drivers, it comes back on, then freezes. Can't open task manager or anything, have to press restart button on the case.

After that I tried using DDU to clean up again, but it's missing something. Rebooting normally after that, my second monitor gets no signal. Still have a generic adapter in device manager. I tried installing 15.4 beta after that and it seemed to install fine but still showed the generic adapter. Trying to launch CCC made the system lock up again.

I repeated that process a few times with the different versions linked in this thread, and the same thing happened. I took a look at the .INF file and tried to find any leftover files or registry entries but couldn't see anything.

Pretty sure I did the right steps! I have no idea what went wrong. It was a new Windows 8.1 install from that day too. I only had a few things installed so no big deal. I wiped and reinstalled. The only tedious part is all the updates.

17. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah the updates are really annoying and take some time! Sorry you had to go through that, like I said in your original thread, maybe because the OP added those VSR lines, I haven't tried the drivers since, and maybe because he merged Windows 8.1 and 7 drivers, when he had them all separate before... The ones I downloaded from two or three days ago installed perfectly fine and uninstalled perfectly fine too.

Maybe the OP can look into it...

18. Fenric

Fenric Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    Pretty sure the first one I tried was the one Vbs linked from mega. The 3 different ones in the OP on OneDrive confused me a little with the naming. I tried a couple of those after I had issues as well.

Edit: Soooo I just discovered the 15.4 beta drivers I had were the Windows 7 version...yeah.

Probably didn't have to do that reinstall. I need sleep.

19. Vbs

Vbs Master Guru

GPU:
    I've had AMD driver installs lock up on my machine occasionally between those screen flashes. Just reboot and do it again, I've never seen it lock up 2 times in a row.

About the uninstall part, I'm puzzled. The .inf does contain all uninstall information, as original. Try selecting the card in Device Manager -> Right-click -> Uninstall.

This driver also adds an "AMD Catalyst Control Center" entry under Programs and Features, which DDU does not seem to clean. Right-click the bottom left corner of the screen (the start menu corner) -> Programs and Features -> Select AMD Catalyst Control Center -> Uninstall.

20. Fenric

Fenric Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    Hello, if you see above when I was going through that I realized after I had been trying to reinstall Windows 7 15.4 drivers. I got all done doing a new clean install of Windows 8.1 and tried to install 15.4 and then CCC locked up the machine again. The correct 8.1 drivers worked.

I was mistakenly thinking DDU was missing something because I was trying to go from the modded 10 driver to the Win 7 15.4 version.

I still have no idea why the modded ones wouldn't work in the first place though.