AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Driver for Windows OS out now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AMDMatt, Jun 22, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ok, i didnt see the follow up, only the initial tweet.

it probably wont be as efficient power wise however, due to the upgraded micro code in 390.

Not that that really matters if it does what its supposed to.

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Funniest post of the day!

It can be called "VSR scam 2.0 Edition".

LOL

Here is the upgrade process from 290(X) to 390(X) step by step:

1 - Take the nomenclature "290(X)" sum "100", you get "390(X)"

2 - Release better performing official drivers artificially limited to "new" 390(X)

3 - Sell it as brand new and more powerfull technology!

4 - Expect people believe it and read web reviews comparing "new" 390(X) with exclusive drivers to "old" 290(X)" with less performing drivers to show you "new" GPus as better hardware.

5 - FAIL! IN THE PROCESS...! some people discover the trick and the same drivers modded and "unlocked" for all GPUs (290(X) and 390(X)) the reality is exposed:

There is no difference in performance between them apart the sum of 100 when you use the same drivers and the same Core and Vram clocks.

6 - CORRECTIONS MUST BE DONE IN THE PROCESS!

Deny it at all cost.

"If you believe AMD" reality is a BIG problem.

:)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  3. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    well, for the same price of 290x they do offer 390x and you get extra 4GB to soften the bulls...khm, sorry, the marketing blowing in your ears :)

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Obvviously when the same price is found the 8 GB variant is a best buy no matter if it's 290 or 390.

Where?

Depends of the location you buy.

In mine some 290X 8 GB (if found) are cheaper than 390x 8 GB.

There are ppl buying 390 (non X) in place of 290X due to AMD tactics been both at the same price in his location!

:bang:

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's simpler than that. People are buying the 390 over the 290x because it has 300 instead of 200 :D

6. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    Firestrike with driver 1040
    My card - std oc (1040MHz) - 9610
    My card - (1113 MHz) 9930

Compare to:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_r9_390_pcs_8gb_review,23.html
    PowerColor R9 390 PCS+ (1010MHz) - 11002
    std R9 290 - 9182

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    There is a "little" difference that make the comparision between your 290 FS results and guru3d 390 FS results useless.

Your CPU is VERY WEAK compared to the 5960X Extreme Edition used in guru3d 390 FS tests.

:)

8. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    But enough fast to beat G3D R9 290.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You can't extract objective results comparing GPUs in different computers with different specs and drivers.

The point is: If you want to get a real comparision you must compare the cards in the same Pc with the same specs, drivers and core/Vram clocks.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    What are you smoking? Really now. Not even the AMD guy on Twitter claimed that. He simply said that they have stopped adding new features to pre-200 cards (that should have been your headline right there). When you have a frame limiter, the card (ANY CARD) uses less power because it has to render less. The power scaling hardware of the card takes from there. I actually tested the frame limiter. I works, the lowest limit is a useless 55fps. I tested it in comparison with RadeonPro's limiter. The results were identical. Let me not forget, that I also did that on a 7970 flashed as a 280x. Here are the raw data files from GPU-Z, there where two identical 30sec runs using the UE4 Temple Demo.

If the price is the same, there is no reason to go for the card with the lower clocks. That is very different from dropping support for features and whole driver sets, just because they belong to different product nomenclature.

11. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    Look at many reviews in the net. My results are not so far from others similar with much newer CPU.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290_directcuii_oc_review,22.html
    "Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E based setup on the X79 chipset platform..."
    ASUS Radeon R9-290 DirectCU II OC (1000 MHz)
    FireStrike - 9211

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's very easy to test yourself. Run a game without any limiters/v-sync, watch the GPU usage hit 99%. You can check power usage in GPU-Z. Now limit FPS to 1 with RTSS and see the GPU usage drop and the power usage drop. The hardware already supports this. The frame limiter should be released for all GPU's not 2 series.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
  14. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    Whoever here wants "new" features knows where to find them and how to install them. But AMDs marketing team is not focusing on Guru3D forums ofc, so they don't really care now do they? There are people that do not go to forums and such and still think that 970 has 4GB, that 300 series is brand new chip etc. That will always be the case.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Just artificial product segmentation, because their old hardware still runs great for 1080p, and most people have really no reason to upgrade. Instead of being proud and advertising what awesome products they make, they gimp them on purpose. The idiocy is so great.

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well you know there is always a reply for this as we learn from VSR scam:

"The Frame Limiter is a hardware only feature added to the 300 series if it works in other series using modded drivers it's a software trick inferior to hardware solution."

Replace "Frame Limiter" by "VSR" in the previous phrase and you get the universal solution for the "I you (want to) believe AMD! PPL.

LOL

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've already taken out my second 7950 and packed it away nicely as I only ever use 1 GPU and I like lower temps. I don't know what to do with it yet. I can either keep it and wait for DX12 and see what happens to multi-GPU's, sell it, or sell both and upgrade.
    Hurry DX12.

MSI have put me off them with the UEFI support thing.

18. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    Truth. I, too, at that time, on that my weak CPU, I could get only approx. 9200p in Firestrike :))

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I completely agree with that but you must also agree that a no very well know scam is still...

...a scam.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    He didn't even say that. He didn't give a reason. He simply said that only 200 and 300 series cards are tested for new features. Everybody else can go :banana: themselves apparently. I don't really care, to be honest, my card is flashed to a recent 280x bios, but all this is SO scummy. Just two months after they were making teary-eyed Twitch videos about the unethical practices of NVIDIA, and pledging for an open ecosystem.

We could pitch in here I guess.