AMD Catalyst 15.5 Beta Driver for Windows OS out now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, May 29, 2015.

1. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    All questions i cannot answer I'm afraid. :)

2. Demrock

Demrock Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Boost 7950x2
    Still no VSR option for the 7950 series......

What a jokers :(

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Haven't tested PCars yet, but I'm here to report on the Witcher 3. Massive decrease in micro-stuttering compared with previous beta drivers and the modded W10 drivers.

The game is finally running at constant frame-rates (by that I mean 40 to 50fps in graphically harsh places and 70+ in closed small areas), which is great, it's finally playable without all that micro-stutter. I want to say it looks slightly worse, aka I feel like the drivers are decreasing the texture quality somehow, but maybe I'm mistaken (even if it is, it's not by a great deal). I'm running the latest version of the game by the way.

I played it for an hour and I am reporting. I'll test project cars later, and I'll test Fifa too and see if micro-stuttering is finally fixed for that game.

Thanks AMDMatt for the post. Hopefully you guys sort driver overhead issues in the future too (I'm looking forward to that mostly) and add VSR support already, just hire VBS for your driver team, he'll sort it out haha.

4. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Thanks for your reply Matt. Really appreciate your support on this forum. I haven't tested pCars with the new drivers yet. So I can't decide if the performance gain is not enough. I hope that performance in rainy scenes has improved a lot. I still hope it's possible to get more out of the AMD GPU's though..

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Was just about to play Witcher then saw the driver. Testing now...

Thanks Matt.

6. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    No probs guys. :)

7. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    What i wanna know is: Does this catalyst version finally have the Frame Limiter? Or got the idea of having a frame limiter dropped? It may sound ridiculous but my GPU is driving me nuts in Windows Chess. I got over 1000 fps and my GPU makes high frequent noises because of that. Vsync doesn't help because it doesn't work. So i really would like to see a frame limiter.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    This driver does not but it's in the Windows 10 driver branch so presumably they will merge them together at one point, though it might be after Windows 10 is released.
    (Would be nice to see the D3D, 2D and OGL core driver versions being updated, heh but I guess focus is mostly on getting a stable Windows 10 driver ready for RTM next month or how it was.)

9. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I feel like an idi@t again...apparently those testing of mine was incorrect. Don't know why but my cpu clock reverting back every time I install a new driver or change power options related to cpu in OS...don't really know why...didn't happened to me in win 7...and I just installed win 8.1 for the first time. So that's why I've got lower fps in GTA5 and W3...at default 3.2Ghz cpu speed it barely playable. Even if it shows at bios post 4.6ghz in windows my cpu running at default clocks...very frustrating. I have to re-enter to bios and hit F10 every time after driver install...

Shame on me! I guess with age I'm getting neglectful and too lazy to check everything proper. I hope AMD can forgive me for misleading...I hope there is still love for me from Red God. Is it there, Matt? ..after all you are his preacher...you should know :( ..is it?

So...with 4.6ghz oc clocks I've got all the different (who would doubt it) results...

Those 15.5 are superior to 1023/ r9 300 drivers for me...both in GTA5 and W3...slightly but better.

PS. Sorry again, dudes...I f@cked up on this :(

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Put track detail on medium and grass to off. That's it for PCars.

Have you actually tried the game? Is it working ok on your system?

This is because I bet they did something regarding to track/grass detail, and you already had them at low values.

Have you tried locking the game at 40-45 with RadeonPro or RTSS, and then see how it plays?

I believe that any kind of feature will go in AFTER they are done with the first batch of Windows 10/Fiji drivers. I also believe that the priority should be PROPER (enforcable) Vsync with dynamic and double vsync options, Triple Buffering and THEN a frame limiter. You cannot have us depend on 3rd party utilities for Vsync and triple buffering, it is ridiculous.

11. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    All is forgiven son. The main thing is you corrected the misinformation, which of course will benefit others, which makes me happy. It's all good. :)

12. TestDrivers

TestDrivers Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Not to shabby drivers.
    Good performance, not too bad stuttering with vsync and framerate limit via RTSS.
    No flickering in gameworld so far, but a bit flickering in the menus. Especially in the Character section, and when selling all the stuff in the inventory that is red (those the vendor wont buy) flickers badly.

So all in all satisfied with this driver :)

13. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Thank you, father. I promise to buy myself an FX octa next month. Word.

14. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    No improvements for me over any other "modded" drivers. Though I can't say that I expected some changes for my card :)

15. xermit

xermit Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980ti @ 1470
    How is this compared to 1023 in Witcher 3? Thx.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Definitely smoother performance in Witcher compered to 15.4. Gained 3-4fps on average in Novigrad. Few stutter here and there but overall nice boost.

Ultra (shadows/foliage High) 50-60fps. I'll call it playable.

17. mojobear

mojobear Guest

GPU:
    4-way crossfire R9 290
    Hey AMDMatt,

How are the drivers doing for you with the witcher 3 with 4 way crossfire?

When I use AFR I get around 60-70 FPS @ 7680 x 1440 ultra, no-AA, hair works off, no stuttering, but with a ton of flickering. With the new witcher 3 15.5 crossfire profile its about 40 FPS with a lot of stuttering.

18. cod6da

cod6da Member

GPU:
    powercolor rx 480 8gb
    So..what better for bf4 and gta5, 15.4.1 or 15.5?Games like witcher 3 i hate,sorry:)

19. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    Sorry to be so boring, AMDMatt, are AMD working on assetto corsa cfx profile? Just to Know if i have to keep my second card

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    7970m (aka 7870 or 270x)

only have results for one scene (at game load)

before patch 29-31fps
    after patch 31-32fps (mostly 32)

nice little performance boost