AMD Catalyst 15.5 Beta Driver for Windows OS out now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AMDMatt, May 29, 2015.

1. WaqasR

WaqasR Member

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R9 270X
    Confirmed , huge performance increased in Project Card . Now it is running like butter smooth on my rig Intel core i5 3470 and radeon 270x at 1080p, fxaa, high settings

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Stutter, Stutter... people stutter.
    Who does use RP these days? Who does use Afterburner these days? Do they even know how to use it?
    I only saw here people complaining while using in-game frame rate limiter/vsync, which been proved vastly inferior to tools mentioned.
    (Hell, even in-game vsync is worse than external vsync.)

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Huh?

4. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    This, as most of us were talking about FLICKERING.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You are too noob to understand him. (me too). :)

He knows how to use some well hidden settings in RP and Afterburner to "disolve" stutter and flickering in games like TW3 while using CFX and at the same time increase FPS.

This magic settings will lower and stabilize frametimes and lock FPS at any desired value we select using CFX in games.

6. professionnal

professionnal Member

GPU:
    r9 295x2
    witcher 3 running like before .... with my r9 295x2 , 30/40 fps , low gpu usage and flickering with some crossfire profile like afr 1x1

7. red00

red00 Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    hey guys. I only have a single ASUS R9 290X OC DCII in my tower. is it safe to install the new driver to play W3 and Project cars?
    (I also don't use DS2M AA in project cars. i use higher AA)

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    When others get better GPU utilization, you should presume, that problem is at your side.
    Did you use DDU to remove older drivers before moving to new ones? (your previous experiments could have persisted through installations)
    Did you follow W3 settings notes as some effects break CF even with this driver.

@sammarbella: it is quite apparent that if someone posts that he has 50~60 fps in game, then caps in in-game to 60, he gets no benefit at all. Not even RP capping at 60 would help.
    Such person should set screen (if available) to 100Hz and cap at 50fps via RP/Afterburner. Or scarifice tree/grass visibility (or their self shadowing range) to get 60+ fps and then cap at 60.

One should think why does game has for some people frametimes all over place? Is there something what is done only few times per second (some calculation or something)?
    What kind of configurations are affected?
    I still have 40+ fps with custom Close to ultra/ultra settings. in caves 60+ fps.
    Having 120Hz screen reduces stutter in 1/2 by design in comparison to 60Hz, so I know that it is much more painful to others as it is just acceptable here.
    (can't test new driver yet on W10, maybe tonight)

9. mustrum

mustrum Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    Anyone tested if there is elite dangerous crossfire support with these?

10. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I find it odd that people are having such issues with w3 CF, it's not like my experience at all. Only flicker I saw was on puddles in Novigrad and scaling was pretty good, 70+ FPS where single GPU was like 35-38. I saw GPU load get to 90%+ too.

I used DDU to remove the old driver, I'd suggest doing that for a fully clean install to anyone who is having issues and didn't do it the first time around.

11. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    There is not.
    It's been asked multiple times by enough users for a while.
    So you can expect Elite to be in the release notes when it finally hits.

12. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    And what do you recommend for the ones who always use DDU?
    I have also done the perfomance and flicker work arounds but nothing helps.
    I've tried every setting in the game and ini tweaks.
    So like i asked before (Didn't ask you) what is the difference in our setup that gives you less flickering then us.

13. mustrum

mustrum Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    I'll just keep playing Fallout: New Vegas. The good thing with 5 year old games is, that they usually work with crossfire.

AMD marketing should pick this up: Fiji Crossfire setup: Renders pacman at 2500 FPS!
    Small print: current games may or may not be supported depending on us giving a fu**.

AMDMatt: You said you guys are working on Elite Dangerous? I guess it is pretty damn hard work considering ED released last year.

I really want two Fiji's but the sensible choice seems to be buying two 980 TI's.

14. AMDMatt

AMDMatt Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X

Good to hear guys! :)

Everyone playing The Witcher 3 with Crossfire, please follow the tips in the KB, it will improve your experience greatly.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Optimizing-The-Witcher-3.aspx

Disable TemporalAA as above ^. Doing this you can then experiment with in game AA enabled, and see what works best for you.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  15. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    Too bad i still get heavy flickering more often then not.
    I tried everything and it seems i'll just have to wait till the next release.(I'm used to it.)

I've asked AMDMatt and he has been asked multiple times on OCUK and here.
    He said he would pass it along and i think he did.
    AMDMatt can only pass it along as it's AMD that needs to do something about it!

Last edited: May 29, 2015

16. Martin.v.r

Martin.v.r Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1200/1500
    instead of giving AMD blamed, then it should in might look a bit in the bios for the motherboard, and put all voltset properly, now I have run all driver since I got my 7970 when it came out, have not had the big problems with all driver
    which has only one in 14: 2X who gave too much VMEM

17. AMDMatt

AMDMatt Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Heard loud and clear over Elite Dangerous guys, I promise it's been requested and I'm pushing for it to be included as soon as is possible. I'm afraid i cannot give you more than this for now, but trust me I'm making it clear that we want this included in a future driver.

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I've stopped using Afterburner but recently started using RP.
    Love it. Had a few issues to sort out with the X64 module on startup.

RP is a must have app. I wish the dev was still working on it.
    Raptr is a POS and bloatware.

I have playtime and time in the overlay. Love it.

19. AMDMatt

AMDMatt Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Yes if there is stutter experiment with Vsync on/off and using an FPS cap of 59 etc. If you can limit the FPS to around the minimum you ever see then it should smooth things out considerably, if you're suffering from stutter.

20. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I don't know what to suggest, sorry. You can see what hardware I'm running it on, cards were OC'd to 1125/1500MHz. I'm using W8.1, latest updates installed and Afterburner with the overlay enabled. I use SweetFX with SMAA only and SMAA settings I got from a GTA V config, I can post that if you want but I don't see how it can be related. I do not use RP or anything else related to games/graphics/graphics cards. From CCC I have AF 16x and High quality filtering enabled and overridden globally. I tried TW3 both with and without the tessellation limit, flicker/scaling was the same.

Not sure what else there is to say about my setup, I'm not doing anything special.

Regarding frame times, I have issues too but they can largely be solved by in-game VSync with no other frame limiting. Oddly enough, with VSync off and a 60FPS limit from RTSS I get a visibly worse experience and average FPS is like 3-5FPS lower, so like ~55FPS instead ~60 with VSync. Pretty weird, but I actually get the same behavior in GTA V (which runs well with this driver at 3200x1800 too, btw). So it's in-game VSync for me, there are still some minor hitches and areas with some FPS drops but overall it's quite smooth.

It's good for me for a 1st release on a 'green' game in terms of performance, now if only this came out before the game like with GTA V and not over a week late I could actually say CF support is good enough for me.

Also, @AMDMatt or anyone who knows, does disabling temporal AA from the ini disable in-game AA completely or is it just one part of in-game AA that gets turned off?